X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37.76kg IM Hub lift, record bested during King Kong comp

Matti Harju during the International King Kong grip Challenge bested the current Iron Mind hub record

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxK7bsNF3r0

Strong stuff.
    Strength is a marathon, not a sprint.

Originally posted by Jonathan Umpherville
    Matti Harju during the International King Kong grip Challenge bested the current Iron Mind hub record

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxK7bsNF3r0

Strong stuff.
    The old record was broken by 2 different athletes at that contest to give you an idea of the numbers being put up. As well as Mike Corlett winning hub lift at this years san jose contest of 69lbs-a very big lift- would have been 9th at this contest. Zach who held the record before was a 105kg athlete and matt is a 93kg athlete also. Matt also took 2nd overall at the contest, very strong grip athlete.

Comment

My favorite IronMind Hub video is one taken a few months back of Matti Harju doing just under 78 lbs. in training. The height and hold was remarkable. It was no surprise to me that he did what he did this past Saturday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KFen..._embedded#t=35

Comment

There must be something in the Lakupiippu in Finland, for sure. Alexey breaking the RT record, Matti breaking the hub record, I wonder if Juha will go for the little big horn record or a #4 cert sometime soon? He must continue the Finland grip trend of record smashing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Umpherville View Post
          There must be something in the Lakupiippu in Finland, for sure. Alexey breaking the RT record, Matti breaking the hub record, I wonder if Juha will go for the little big horn record or a #4 cert sometime soon? He must continue the Finland grip trend of record smashing.

Take a look at my youtube videos. Until Matti Harju breaks 90lbs, I will still consider myself the record holder regardless of if he got 83 in a "sanctioned contest". I lift 80lbs for my warmup and the only reason I didn't shatter 88lbs + in the contest was because it was the last event after an 8 hour session of DOH axle lift, grippers, and europinch. I am not trying to be arrogant or cocky, but I take a lot of pride in the hub lift and I guess it's going to require me lifting 95lbs + to get the credit I deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachary Jacobs View Post
            Take a look at my youtube videos. Until Matti Harju breaks 90lbs, I will still consider myself the record holder regardless of if he got 83 in a "sanctioned contest". I lift 80lbs for my warmup and the only reason I didn't shatter 88lbs + in the contest was because it was the last event after an 8 hour session of DOH axle lift, grippers, and europinch. I am not trying to be arrogant or cocky, but I take a lot of pride in the hub lift and I guess it's going to require me lifting 95lbs + to get the credit I deserve.

Great sportsmanship dude. "Congratulations" is the word you are looking for. And unlike you, the Finnish contingent is good at more than one event.

Comment

IM Hub was 3rd event at King Kong Grip Challenge. Matti also pulled two hands pinch Finnish Championships ( 4 lifts) before King Kong events started.

Dude, if I would tell you how much Matti has lifted with IM Hub "training lifts" you might not like it. Fact is that only contest lifts means how strong you are.

http://www.gripmonsters.fi/news.php?...t_from=&ucat=&

-Juha Harju

Comment

Chris James has lifted more than the current axle WR, in training - doesn't hold the record.

Laine Snook lifted (at the time) more on the new model RT handle to best the WR Mark Felix held twice, in training - didn't hold the record after that.

Adam Glass lifted a lot more in training with the Little Big Horn, but come contest time, he didn't lift as much but still set the record and the number lifted in the comp is what the record stands as.

I am sure Kody Burns has lifted more in training on the 2hp than at contest too, he holds the record but cannot claim a possible higher training number as the record with NAGS, now can he?

And like Juha said, Matti competed in a full 2hp comp before the King Kong competition even began. Also, Juha had lifted much higher in the 1hp in training (videos to prove it, using calibrated plates) - he competed with a fever and flu symptoms as well, but did he complain? No, and he won the over all contest as well. Another person besides Matti lifted more than your current record in that comp to top it off.

Record holders come and go, there is always someone faster, stronger, better. Maybe you should show a bit of humility and just congratulate Matti on breaking the record IN CONTEST, then train harder to take it back instead of coming off as a jealous, spiteful person. Last I checked you are on the IM website as the current record holder (until the good Doctor observes this video no doubt) and that is as much credit as you or anyone else gets or deserves - such is the nature of strength competition.

What was the line I used to refer to some grip guys as... oh yes, that's right; worse than catty high school girls with bipolar disorder on their periods.
                Last edited by Jonathan Umpherville; 10-23-2013, 12:24 PM. Reason: typo.

Comment

From IronMind's website: http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...ld_Record.html Name, photo, writeup. Story and photo in MILO Magazine as well. Story when it happened in IronMind News on the Internet. Records come and go in everything. But no one can ever take away a "Win". Matti won in a contest that was held all over the world. Most of us know who his brother is. Not many of us knew anything about Matti. Some of us think that it is very cool that in a sport where his brother Juha shines, Matti got a brief moment of glory. It is a nice story. Most everyone is happy for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Corlett View Post
                    From IronMind's website: http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...ld_Record.html Name, photo, writeup. Story and photo in MILO Magazine as well. Story when it happened in IronMind News on the Internet. Records come and go in everything. But no one can ever take away a "Win". Matti won in a contest that was held all over the world. Most of us know who his brother is. Not many of us knew anything about Matti. Some of us think that it is very cool that in a sport where his brother Juha shines, Matti got a brief moment of glory. It is a nice story. Most everyone is happy for him.
                    Matti is very strong and very quiet and laid back, and doesn't post on forums of any kind according to his brother. He has also lifted Juhas Inch dumbbell and held it for a second or two which is no easy feat for anyone, I have seen him pull good numbers on the Rolling thunder, lift blobs, among other good strong lifts in videos as well. The younger of the Harju brothers definitely isn't a one trick pony and is a very strong individual for sure. I am going to plan a trip to Finland this summer when I have my two months off work to meet Juha Harju, Matti, Yvonne, Huja Piironen and the other Grip Monsters over there, hopefully enjoy some traditional Finnish food, take in the nature and eat a lot of LAKUPIIPPU!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Corlett View Post
                      Well, yesterday, the link had Zach Jacobs on it. Today it has Matti Haru on it. Like I said, records come and go. Matti is the new record holder. No doubt it will be broken again within a year. Congratulations Matti!

Comment

http://www.ironmind.com
                        http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...nMind_Hub.html

Way to go, Matti!

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post

Comment

Wow, that is a heavy hub lift ! Nice one Matti !

Comment

Great lift, congratulations!
                              On ignore list:
                              Sam Scott, Kim Wood, Dave Murray

Comment

Congratulations matti!

Comment

Zach -

Sorry if this is a dumb question: Why do you think you, rather than Matti Harju, are the world record holder on the IronMind Hub, please?

I've never seen your YouTube videos, so maybe that's why I am missing this.

Comment

Don't really care. Good luck. Congrats Matti you are the ****.

Comment

Thanks Juha. I am still waiting to see Matti lift more than me contest or no contest. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks Juha. I am still waiting to see Matti lift more than me contest or no contest. Thanks.
                                        Zach -

And maybe Matti is waiting for you to lift more than him in a contest if you'd like to get the world record back?

Seriously, I'm still trying to understand this: Are saying that you have done training lifts that are above the official world record and therefore you consider yourself the world record holder?

Comment

Working...
                                        X