X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 600-lb. Clean & Jerk

When are we going to see the first official 600-lb. clean and jerk?

I just want to see guys in the 260kg range again in contests

Behdad salimi though recently did 260kg relatively easily in training

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6_lBrl8Yqo

I know adding weight the higher you get up gets much harder but he is still young. He is only 23 years old and most SHW hit their best numbers later from what I have observed compared to lighter classes which peak earlier. He already has the world record in the snatch. So if he does a light snatch and tries to go for the clean and jerk record I think he has the best chance right now.

That would be the greatest lift of all time in my opinion though, greater even then the 1k raw deadlifts/squats and 700+ benches.

Comment

Originally posted by stephen ruby View Post
      I just want to see guys in the 260kg range again in contests

Behdad salimi though recently did 260kg relatively easily in training

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6_lBrl8Yqo

I know adding weight the higher you get up gets much harder but he is still young. He is only 23 years old and most SHW hit their best numbers later from what I have observed compared to lighter classes which peak earlier. He already has the world record in the snatch. So if he does a light snatch and tries to go for the clean and jerk record I think he has the best chance right now.

That would be the greatest lift of all time in my opinion though, greater even then the 1k raw deadlifts/squats and 700+ benches.
      Thanks for posting that link. ”Impressive looking lift and it was good to watch because I've seen Salimi miss 260 in contests so badly that I got to the point of thinking he might never do it officially. His teammate, Bahador Moulaei, however, is a completely different story and he's my pick to be the guy most likely to break Rezazadeh's world record in the clean and jerk:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...egov_Wins.html

And from there, who knows?

Is 600 lb. (272.5 kg) possible in a tested contest? I think it might be.

Comment

• stephen ruby
        stephen ruby commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah yes I forgot about his teammate I just recently watched that attempt and it was just slightly off balance. His teammate looks better built for the clean and jerk also compared to salimi who is taller.

I can't forget ruslan also I believe he has been in the military and he mentioned its hurt his training. I believe he actually blamed his gold medal loss in london on the 2 years in the army hurting his training. I think he could push into the 260 range also.

I think that 272.5kg would take a perfect storm, the right day every lifter pushing each other and several of them peaking perfectly. Reza could have gone for it I think if he had other lifters who could have pushed him. Its hard to mentally drive yourself when you so far ahead. Yet the brain can turn onto a new level when the competitive juices get flowing.

More than 40 years ago, when the door for the first 500 lbs. Clean and Jerk was on the verge of being opened, of all places, a Weider magazine ran an article about when the first 600 lbs. Jerk was going to happen. I think it was Muscle Builder/Power. It opened with 500 lbs. being a given, so what would it take for 600? It was almost funny. And, have to say that was one of the rare times where the piece, to some extent, was exhibiting moments of someone "being a Visionary". Hard to believe, but got to call it what it was. Don't remember if it were Joe Weider or someone else who wrote the article...
      I am going to go out on a limb and say it will happen AFTER the first person to Certify on the Number 4 gripper using a credit card set.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Corlett View Post
        More than 40 years ago, when the door for the first 500 lbs. Clean and Jerk was on the verge of being opened, of all places, a Weider magazine ran an article about when the first 600 lbs. Jerk was going to happen. I think it was Muscle Builder/Power. It opened with 500 lbs. being a given, so what would it take for 600? It was almost funny. And, have to say that was one of the rare times where the piece, to some extent, was exhibiting moments of someone "being a Visionary". Hard to believe, but got to call it what it was. Don't remember if it were Joe Weider or someone else who wrote the article...
        I am going to go out on a limb and say it will happen AFTER the first person to Certify on the Number 4 gripper using a credit card set.

Mike -

I'm with you on that prediction—I saw something this weekend that gives me an insider's advantage or I'd take some bets if anyone disagreed.

Comment

Personally I would be happy never to see a 600lb clean and jerk if it was a consequence of stricter drug testing. Taranenko (the guy with the WR) was an open user of steroids (read the interview on the net). I do believe such a lift is possible without drugs but it would require somebody having the courage to think outside the box because most Olympic Weightlifters are overtraining. Steroids used to be the solution to overtraining syndrome, but in today's environment it is better to train more sensibly.

Comment

Working...
          X