Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, with "cold-hearted objectivity" I reiterate that "strongman" (with it's drug situation)
    is extremely dirty...and dangerous(check out the front page of today's Sunday New York Times folks,
    big article on the "spike" in serious liver damage due to "body-building" type fellas buying
    and eating
    "fat burning type supplements"(un-researched for effectiveness or safety))... stare at the facts,
    fellows...this ain't no pick-axe to the head... just cold hard truth(an un-pleasant truth). (....a friend of mine was talking to
    Marunde at the Arnold Classic(you'd all know my friend's name)... he told my friend that with all
    the "stuff" he was taking he felt like he'd be dead soon... and he was. What's that? a pick-axe to the
    head? Or an out of control situation where many choose "not to see" what's going on...rant on,
    Starkey... the chickens come home to roost.)

Comment

Years ago Terry Todd spoke of the appeal of, "The siren song of heavy weights," in his owm case he was speaking about how personal health problems (high blood pressure etc) fueled by anabolic use inspired him to retire from both heavy lifting and drug use. His use of the "siren song of heavy weights" metaphor now seems prophetic to me. Too many young men are dying way too young, I think it is worth examining how the Iron Game moved from being a healthy aspect of physical culture to being a caricature of itself. It was with death of Mike Jenkins in mind I went on youtube yesterday to watch some old WSM contests, in particular, the '77 WSM, It's now nearly 40 years on, and to be honest, the '77 shows was more interesting than the current series. Louie, Dayton, Wilhelm, Cole, Patera, Young....all more interesting personalities. The events even seemed more fun (wrist roller!), todays productions seem to lack something and I think that something is a sense of human scale. 400 pounds strongmen?! These guys have 100 pounds on Bruce?! 100 on Magnus?! 200 on Franco?! To continue with the Greek metaphors, I believe absent serious drug testing both bodybuilding and strongman will forever try to sail between Scylla and Charbdis, not wanting to sail too close to the whirlpool and risk losing everything, the clever captains sail close to Scylla and hope the monster takes but a few men. There's going to be more dead bodies Scylla is a demanding beast.

Comment

Iv said my bit not going on about it now Some intresting truth to what u say .but im not looking to do worlds im just enjoying it .i dont use steroids and maybe that shows in my lifts at the most ill use a stimulant (legal in uk shops )but is on wada banned list.

Comment

Michael, Enjoy your training, enjoy the sport, but keep it as a part of your life, don't let it define you. You define it. Neither strength, or, speed, take the measure of a man.

Comment

Why is it that every time a professional strongman or bodybuilder dies prematurely they had a congenital heart defect or a strange virus? We should not be afraid to tell the truth about steroid and other drug use in our sports and the harmful effects of them. There is no need to have to close ranks to maintain the lie that this issue is not a serious problem. I am personally interested in promoting full muscular development (sans drugs) as the ideal goal and as a healthy lifestyle for men and women. For too many people the idea of fulfilling their physical potential is associated with drugs. This need not be. The blueprint is already there in our DNA, all we have to do is find the way to unlock it by using intelligent methods coupled with hard work- and we can learn a lot along the way about the wonderful gift of the body. In this day and age with all of the knowledge we have on nutrition and training it ought not to be a tall order.
            The danger is that the more steroid deaths occur the stronger the case will become to actually discourage or even prevent men from seeking to be as strong as they can be. I live in a city now and have yet to find a gym with dumbells over 100lb. Most gyms do not want the so called "sted heds" in there so deliberately do not have the equipment that strength trainers need. What they fail to realize is that lots of clean guys want to use such equipment as well. The result is a dumbing down of true human potential.
            I have already said that I think the way forward are competitions which test a broader set of abilities as a means of preventing over specialization. I would like to see a contest that combines physique, endurance and tests of strength and requires a high score in each round to progress to the next. The last 30 or so years have in many ways been an emphasis on the parts to the detriment of the whole, which is called PHYSICAL CULTURE. People who are abusing their health and do not possess a good measure of all round physical attributes are basically giving the wonderful pursuit of physical perfection a bad name. But why do we give them all of the attention?

Comment

I would also add that if any of the deceased persons could communicate with us now from the other side, having learned the lessons from their misadventures I am sure that they would want others to learn the same lessons, not lied to about what really happened. We show more respect for these victims of the drug culture by telling the truth about what killed them in the hope that others will make the right choices.

Comment

Gerald, your posts are interesting... but I think that fantasy and insanity has so
                influenced the "iron arts" that there's little chance of right thinking(or even objective
                perception) gaining a foothold... (whole populations can live on a death trip...
                with denial and distorted perceptions leading the charge... it's dark... it's twisted...
                it's tragic and sad ...but it seems to be true...)(open your eyes)

Comment

I watched WSM marathon yesterday. And seeing mike, knowing his future... Was sad. Wish I could have warned him. They all looked as tho they were going to explode. Burke, looked good... Didn't have that same look.

Comment

saw the same WSM finals while wasting time the other day... after the credits rolled they had about a
                    ten second "tribute" to Mike Jenkins... fame and glory is a bitch

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Wood View Post
                      Gerald, your posts are interesting... but I think that fantasy and insanity has so
                      influenced the "iron arts" that there's little chance of right thinking(or even objective
                      perception) gaining a foothold... (whole populations can live on a death trip...
                      with denial and distorted perceptions leading the charge... it's dark... it's twisted...
                      it's tragic and sad ...but it seems to be true...)(open your eyes)
                      Kim; I am under no illusions about the culture of death. I also oppose abortion, euthanasia and sexual perversions. My opposition to steroids and other PED's is not based on some kind of selfish envy of those who have used and been more successful than me, but more on a sense of pity for those who are being sucked into this black hole. I have come across people who seem to be 'gatekeepers' with the ability to influence others in a positive or negative way, but most of these figures seem to have been bought off or are too afraid because to stand against this torrent is to have your character assassinated. There is pressure on everybody to cooperate with this 'Common Purpose' (look up Common Purpose Exposed for more info on the wider subject) or be disenfranchised from the 'future society'. The 'debates' will always continue but the outcome will always be predetermined. The culture of death is basically to rob others of their worldly inheritance either by killing them prematurely, not allowing them to be born, locking them out in the cold or cheating them out of what is rightfully theirs. sadly most people are cooperating with 'them'.

Comment

my advice, Gerard(and you didn't ask) is to keep training and be inner oriented in your training...and forget what's
                        going on in "the iron game"(it's a cess pool). Train, get strong, be healthy and live a good life.
                        There are few "stewards" in the "iron game"... the various corruptions are just too tempting for most
                        people(and most people are just too weak to resist). The message that training hard and physically improving one-self the right way is lost...
                        but it doesn't have to be lost for you.

Comment

Thanks Kim. I've pretty much taken that on board and not competed for a few years now except for my attempt at lifting the Criccieth Stone. I'm going to have another go when I feel my strength levels have improved. I don't think I have ever been interested really in selling out for big bucks, all I really want is to be in a situation where I can devote more of my energies to fulfilling my potential. Most of my adult life I have been doing manual labour jobs to make money and therefore not had so much time and energy to spend in the gym, which is a bit frustrating. I have always wanted a degree of financial independence and autonomy that is often lost when people offer sponsorship (I even turned down a trip to America once from a guy I used to train with because it didn't feel right to have something for nothing from somebody richer than me). Nonetheless it has given me a different perspective on the situation than if I had followed the pied piper. I have surprised a few people along the way as well which has been fun. My main thing at the moment is trying to make other people aware and helping them to start thinking outside the box, and my book is coming along nicely. I'm living in Canada now so let me know if you are interested in meeting up, I fancy a trip to the US some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Wood View Post
                            certainly a tragedy(ain't none of us gonna get outta here alive...) but more than that
                            I continually am amazed how the "iron game" lives with such deaths ... and "accepts"
                            them. Also (un-noticed here) a giant pro bodybuilder (a 400 pounder!)(Greg Kovacs) croaked the same week...
                            (Being basically blood-thirsty(and hardly "politically correct") I kinda hope more "iron game" drug
                            pigs die(and soon)... it would put a much more meaningful perspective on what's happening...
                            It would wake some people up...) KW
                            I'm kind of wondering how this type of speech passes for OK on the IM forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sharkey View Post

I'm kind of wondering how this type of speech passes for OK on the IM forum.
                              Mike, KW said that in Post #5 on 12-5.
                              I said my piece in Post #6 on 12-5

You said your piece in Post #19 on 12-22
                              You said your piece again in Post #24 on 12-22
                              Today, 1-23, Post #34 you said your piece again.

Some strength forums have "gag orders" on the subject of performance enhancing substances. Some people believe that they are extremely dangerous, and anyone who uses them is flat out stupid. This is probably not going to be the last time this happens.

Comment

Mike I am not talking about a debate on performance enhancing substances, as this topic is pretty obvious to any sensible human being. I'm talking about basic human respect and the impropriety of wishing anyone dead. I would hope that a company that posts a bible verse that states to "act like men" on their homepage would have a higher moral standard than to allow such a disgraceful statement to be given voice on their forum. Otherwise, I would say that this is a pretty low standard of behavior.

Only a barbarian rejoices in the defeat of his opponents - Zhu Ge Liang.

(And the immediate previous post was my first. the other posts you mentioned were made by someone named Michael Starkey. My name is Sharkey.)

Comment

(This was supposed to be a reply to Mike Sharkey's question above about acceptable speech, etc and I seem to have forgotten to quote that post—sorry about that.)

Mike -

It's a reasonable question and my feeling is that if you don't like what Kim says, you should point that out . . . to Kim as well as to the general universe here.

For example, tell Kim that you don't appreciate him calling someone a drug pig if you don't (as I have in person when he did and I didn't). Maybe the person Kim is referring to isn't even on drugs or maybe he is but he's not a pig or maybe he's both of those things (and more) but you find Kim's language offensive and would prefer that he choose his words more carefully. The death thing was a little strong, but let's not forget that fear tactics are what are used for everything from seat belts to smoking, so waving around allusions to the angel of death is a tried and true attention getter. Also, do you really think Kim meant he would give them a death sentence, if he were able? I didn't, but maybe I'm wrong.
                                  Last edited by Randall Strossen; 01-24-2014, 03:17 PM. Reason: Put in a note about forgetting to quote the post (by Mike Sharkey) that I was replying to. First time on a forum.

Comment

...big deal. I regret nothing I've said here or to anyone who posts here or to anyone here
                                    that I've spoken to in person. Just callin' 'em like I see em... ( as "the iron game" rides the death
                                    spiral down it might behoove those who observe(like our man, Sharkey) to get a little tougher...
                                    and maybe a little more perceptive.)
                                    (and oh yes, I certainly am a barbarian... thanks for the props)

Comment

Mike (Sharkey) -

You know, all this talk about death has me wondering IF someone died as a result of using drugs, and IF they could turn the clock back, do you think they'd have done things differently?

I'm pretty sure that the answer to that question is, as Steve Komito used to say, "A definite maybe."

So, then, what's with this: are we saying that in the interest of maintaining the appearance of a dainty tea chat, it's ok to promote and maybe even glorify behavior that some would argue is akin to being a suicide bomber rather than saying, "Hey, you, suicide bomber, get off my cloud?"
                                      Last edited by Randall Strossen; 01-24-2014, 03:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to include Mike's name.

Comment

a question for Randy: what is the percentage of professional "strongmen"(the guys that
                                        compete in the WSM and similar contests(the number can't be large))that DO NOT take
                                        PED's ?

Comment

When you are dealing with institutional corruption in an organization there are basically two options: you either close it down or you clean it up. In the wider world lots of people are going into so called 'Lawful Rebellion' and refusing to pay taxes on the grounds of 'Breach of Contract' or even 'No Contract' and are thinking about creating their own parallel systems of governance which will ultimately replace the criminal and illegitimate private interest companies that are now running things. In terms of Strongman it is now time to jump off the wagon as far as WSM, Giants Live and SCL are concerned and go with the WNSF. It is only our cooperation and support that keeps the systems as they are. Rebellion is not always a bad thing.

Comment

Working...
                                          X