X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strongman Archaeology

Middle Finger Deadlifts fit in to the Cube? I am average in most types of hand strength but I did a Middle Finger Deadlift of 340+lbs after 5-6 workouts. This was 25lbs in excess of the World Record(USAWA). It is my only exceptional ability in lifting.

Originally posted by James Fuller View Post
    Middle Finger Deadlifts fit in to the Cube? I am average in most types of hand strength but I did a Middle Finger Deadlift of 340+lbs after 5-6 workouts. This was 25lbs in excess of the World Record(USAWA). It is my only exceptional ability in lifting.
    Well done, James. I read about that one in Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik. I've done many varieties of deadlifts, yet have not tried that one yet

Comment

Thanks Wes

I had come home from a 10 hour work day and was tired. Was going to skip working out but little voice in my head said,"Just do SOMETHING for 30 minutes." I figured I'd work on the MFD. They started hard. At 225lb or so, it just started clicking. 300lbs flew up. World Record is 319lbs so I put 322lbs on and it was cake. 344 was fine though fingers started to open. Seeing that was a 44lb PR and I was tired, I called it a night. 355-366lbs probably would of went. That was the first WR I broke. Did this in my driveway in front of my family. Video of me doing 300lbs awhile back:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4afo...yer_detailpage
      BTW I know there are a crapton of people who are stronger on this lift than I am but won't do it because of the pain. For me after 225lbs or so, my body gives up trying to tell me it hurts.

Comment

James,

I have to be honest.. at first I didn't realize that you meant MFD with a barbell.. wow that is impressive!
        I have done one finger pulls using rings and bars with pulleys, but have never tried using a barbell (and to be honest doubt that I ever will ).
        Good grief that is all that I can say. A serious accomplishment!

Congrats!

Chris Mavromatis
        http://www.mavrocatstrength.com

Comment

Thanks Chris

I uses to be a runner and am slowly getting back into a regular routine. Ran 5ks on the 7/8th grade Cross Country team and played Soccer all through High School. Got up to running 13 miles a couple of times. I also compete in Powerlifting,Strongman and Olympic Lifting with my All-Round Lifting. Two things that I would think would be great for runners are ribcage expansion and heavy supports. The old time lifters/wrestlers were big on expanding the ribcage using Breathing Squats and light Stiff Arm Pullovers. Surprised runners haven't tried this. This kind of training won't put a bunch of weight on your body but, it will allow you to take a deeper breath. Heavy supports we call the Heavy Lifts in the USAWA. All you got to do is get the weight off the ground. You can use an enormous weight but its mainly to overload you tendons/ligaments(joints). My best meet Squat is just over 400 no belt/no wraps/no problem while my best Hip lift is 1500 lbs. Imagine how much potential lies untapped by training at almost a FOURTH of the joint's supporting ability!! If not overdone, how could this not help running?? Again with this type of training you don't put on a bunch of bodyweight. More breath and harder to injure joints seems like a runner's dream!! Here's some footage of me at the 2013 Heavy Lift Nationals so you can get an idea of what the Heavy Lifts are like:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RN68ZK0r12Y And like you, I like to bend steel as well.

Comment

Also Chris

I think lifting is a bit biased toward working the both limbs in the same way at the same time. Running in particular would benefit doing both limbs in opposing ways at the same time much like running itself. Lifts such as Jerks with alternating split of feet, Split Squats ,Lunges , Side Lunges, Alternating dumbbells on Bench,Bent Rows,Curls,Extensions,Presses,Pullovers(yes a dumbbell in EACH HAND ALTERNATING STYLE on Pullovers). This will follow your running pattern more closely than conventional style lifting and help correct a left to right imbalance. Barbell Suitcase Deads for both side would be good as well. Picking up a dumbbell off the floor with the top of the foot under the handle will work the Hip Flexors. Have the support leg on a small box for more ROM.

Comment

I had come home from a 10 hour work day and was tired. Was going to skip working out but little voice in my head said,"Just do SOMETHING for 30 minutes." I figured I'd work on the MFD. They started hard. At 225lb or so, it just started clicking. 300lbs flew up. World Record is 319lbs so I put 322lbs on and it was cake. 344 was fine though fingers started to open. Seeing that was a 44lb PR and I was tired, I called it a night. 355-366lbs probably would of went. That was the first WR I broke. Did this in my driveway in front of my family. Video of me doing 300lbs awhile back:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4afo...yer_detailpage
              BTW I know there are a crapton of people who are stronger on this lift than I am but won't do it because of the pain. For me after 225lbs or so, my body gives up trying to tell me it hurts.
              That's interesting, because I have had some of my better training days when I was tired and had little interest, but trained anyway.

Comment

Deadlifting with 3.5"Bar

Not a ton of weight but, its not as easy as it looks!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...LUBRIjLgFtWO0w

Comment

Two Barbell Squat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...LUBRIjLgFtWO0w If Squats with one bar is good, two must be better!!

Comment

Wes...

I chalk those situations to the 'pressure is off' syndrome. You just go in and find a groove with an open mind. Next thing you know your riding the wave of a big ol' PR. I think in Martial Arts, this is called having 'no mind'.

Comment

Somewhere Milo Steinborn is smiling at that one James! With the bars apparently hanging more towards your back, I bet this was something you felt strong in the abs as they tried to keep you from being pulled backwards?

Comment

Another good one. Plus you answered a question I've had for awhile which is, how much weight can those 5 gallon spackle buckets I use for different lifts hold without breaking? I now know at least 97 lbs!

Comment

Thanks Charlie....

the ab pull comes when I get them 'airborne'. While Squatting, the pressure is on the Traps. Though not long after the workout, my Obliques were screaming!!

Comment

One Arm Barbell Clean & Push Press

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d-FZ...LUBRIjLgFtWO0w

Comment

Reverse Curling 3.5" Bar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...LUBRIjLgFtWO0w

Comment

Last time I trained much with a 3.5" bar I ended up straining my thumbs - be careful.

Comment

Strongman Archaeology

I am digging up and examining the lifts of the past. Most of my lifts are directly related to Olde Time Strongman, while others are related in spirit. My base is the magic five: Squat- Bench Press -Deadlift -Snatch -Clean&Jerk . Yes, Powerlifting and Olympic Lifting. These five lifts have the most practice by the most people and the most research so it should be relatively easy to gauge where my strength is at for my age/weight. If Powerlifting was started by Hackenschmidt while Olympic Lifting was started by Saxon then the magic five would be: Hack Lift -Pullover&Push-Arthur Lift -Bent Press -Two Hands Anyhow. The current five lifts are all great but they are not ends in of themselves.
                                  At this time, I have two meets coming up. The first is the USAWA Presidential Cup August 10th in Lebanon,PA. The second is Heavy Athletics for the Scottish Highland Games August 17th in Topsham,ME. The Presidential Cup is an interesting format. You can pick any lift you want to compete. You MUST open with a record breaking poundage!! At the end of the day, the USAWA president picks ONE lifter/performance that impressed him the most!!
                                  I'm considering two lifts:Leg Press-Unsupported. Basically, you are laying on the floor with a barbell. Now get it onto the bottom of your feet so you can Leg Press it. Tops of thighs must touch torso at the bottom of the lift. NO HELP FROM HANDS DURING THE PRESS!! Lift starts with legs straight and weight motionless. Command to start is given. When lift is finished and in control, a down command is also given.
                                  Other lift is Two Hands Anyhow. ANY combination of bars,dumbbells or kettlebells can be used for this lift. You can do just about anything you want. NO TIME LIMIT. Just get two implements motionless at straight arms length overhead, body upright,feet parallel and in line with torso. At this point official will give down command. Lift ends when both implements are returned to platform under control.
                                  Heavy Athletics is a lot of throwing. Conjugate training for throwers? I don't have the implements so I've been working on One Arm Swings for the Weight Over Bar(WOB) events and Barbell One Arm Clean & Push Press for the Stone Throw events. Will get some implement familiarity with a training group soon.
                                  I will be posting reps, sets,poundages and video. I will explain details some subtle, some not. Criticize and/or question me all you want BUT, be warned.... I can say,"I'm wrong." and equally as hard,"I don't know." I hope you find this interesting. I also hope this influences you to look at barbell training a little differently.
                                  Last edited by James Fuller; 07-23-2013, 07:51 AM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

Yes sir you are right....

my left thumb was not happy with me during this foolishness!!

Comment

Two things that I would think would be great for runners are ribcage expansion and heavy supports. The old time lifters/wrestlers were big on expanding the ribcage using Breathing Squats and light Stiff Arm Pullovers. Surprised runners haven't tried this. This kind of training won't put a bunch of weight on your body but, it will allow you to take a deeper breath. Heavy supports we call the Heavy Lifts in the USAWA. All you got to do is get the weight off the ground. You can use an enormous weight but its mainly to overload you tendons/ligaments(joints). My best meet Squat is just over 400 no belt/no wraps/no problem while my best Hip lift is 1500 lbs. Imagine how much potential lies untapped by training at almost a FOURTH of the joint's supporting ability!! If not overdone, how could this not help running?? Again with this type of training you don't put on a bunch of bodyweight. More breath and harder to injure joints seems like a runner's dream!!
                                      Good stuff.
                                      I used to do breathing squats and pullovers and think there could be a value in incorporating them into a runners routine. Would be of more value to the shorter distances as you don't get into anaerobic thresholds (at least you shouldn't) in the longer distances. The breathing squats still could put on a decent amount of size thought I think (genetically my legs grow very easily) and some runners don't want that (it doesn't bother me though).
                                      I tend to think tendon and ligament strength and resilience is a bit different thing for injury prevention in running than what super high weight overload gym work would accomplish because during a run one should never have a need for such max strength strength in those structures.. but is better suited to have relatively strong and very resilient joints. I do believe in the validity of leg work benefiting and reducing injury in a runner (and other running related sports) but the jarring of 1,000s to 10,000s of bodyweight strides may be better suited to lower weight and higher rep activities.
                                      But these are interesting ideas and definitely would add value.

Comment

I think lifting is a bit biased toward working the both limbs in the same way at the same time. Running in particular would benefit doing both limbs in opposing ways at the same time much like running itself. Lifts such as Jerks with alternating split of feet, Split Squats ,Lunges , Side Lunges, Alternating dumbbells on Bench,Bent Rows,Curls,Extensions,Presses,Pullovers(yes a dumbbell in EACH HAND ALTERNATING STYLE on Pullovers). This will follow your running pattern more closely than conventional style lifting and help correct a left to right imbalance. Barbell Suitcase Deads for both side would be good as well. Picking up a dumbbell off the floor with the top of the foot under the handle will work the Hip Flexors. Have the support leg on a small box for more ROM.
                                        Running (by definition) is a one legged sport because at any one time only one leg is in contact with the ground so many do espouse doing much of ones leg work using one leg at a time (like squats and deadlifts etc). Fast and powerful jerks and jumps are a part of may sprinters routines (again it doesn't have as much value for long distance runners). I'm a huge fan of walking front and side lunges (some of the best exercises for stability out there.. stability is key for a runner). Suitcase farmers walk and deads are good.
                                        Not sure how much of an impact alternating upper body work would have as the upper body (above the core which is crucial to maintaining form) is mostly used to stabilize and guide the legs. For sprinting I could see there possibly being a benefit.
                                        Thanks for reply.

Comment

Working...
                                        X