No announcement yet.

Red Nail: Rule Change?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am asking this with all due respect Dr. Strossen, where are the differences vs what was originally posted by David after the Red Nail "think tank"?

These rules seem fair and clear if my aging eyes are reading them correctly.

Comment

• AWSOME! great job!

Comment

• I like it ... puts a lot of the questions to rest.

Though I wish video is a requirement too. How does everyone else feel about that? For all the Ironmind certs really.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paul Knight View Post
          I like it ... puts a lot of the questions to rest.

Though I wish video is a requirement too. How does everyone else feel about that? For all the Ironmind certs really.
          Instead of a video requirement for each cert (even though it would be cool), I would like to see a video demonstration on the cert page for how a cert should be performed and judged. The video should include do's and dont's.
          www.steelbenders.org

Comment

• Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post
            Below is what I am proposing for the Red/Gold nail rules.

Please note that this is not a radical departure from what is currently in place, but the point of this change is to acknowledge the variety of bending styles that is already being used, within the spirit of this being an unbraced bend (as David Wigren has pointed out), and to end controversy about contact during the bend.

Here is what I am proposing:

There are several recognized methods for legitimately bending an IronMind Red Nail or a Gold Nail, but all are unbraced. For example, you can bend the Red or Gold Nail with your hands at:

waist level, bending the nail downward into a U
            chest level, bending the nail downward into a U
            head or chest level, bending the nail downward into a U

Other variations of these are acceptable, given these rules:

1. You are bending an authentic IronMind Red Nail™ or Gold Nail™ that has not been modified in any way.
            2. Only genuine IronMind Bending Pads are used; they cannot be modified in any way. Although the use of chalk is permitted, no accessories (such as rubber bands) can be added to the pads and used during the bend.
            3. The bender is not allowed to use any wraps, tape or any other supporting material on his body.
            4. No part of the bender’s arms or hands may touch the body below the waist level.
            5. The nail is bent into a U shape in less than one minute with the legs of the nail spread no more than 2 inches at the completion of the bend.

###

Comments?
            That is excellent! It is short and simple, just like how it should be. If the rules get to lengthy, chances are that the judge might not be able to keep track of them all at once during the bend. But this is very simple and easy to follow. Excellent work!

Andy, It's a slightly expanded version of what I proposed earlier. The ideas are obviously the same, but I didn't address the permitted use of chalk. And I only included restrictions about wrapping the arms, whereas Randall and those at Ironmind looks to have issued a rule against not allowing any supporting material anywhere on the body. Which is great because it excludes the use of potential "bending shirts". Sure the idea of a bending shirt might seem silly today, and indeed it would not be accepted today. But who knows what people will be doing 15-20 years from now.

These rules follows the spirit of the challenge while not contradicting the achievements made by us already on the red nail list.
            Very good work!

Comment

• a bending shirt is an interesting idea ... much like a bench shirt I suppose. I think the idea of a shirt would probably make a bar easier to crush, but it seems like, to me, that it would make it harder to get into the DO possition?

Comment

• Originally posted by Andy Thomas View Post
                I am asking this with all due respect Dr. Strossen, where are the differences vs what was originally posted by David after the Red Nail "think tank"?

These rules seem fair and clear if my aging eyes are reading them correctly.
                Andy -

It's a good time to summarize the long and winding road we've been traveling on this topic:

1) I asked for a review of the Red Nail rules, citing concerns, and suggested a few guys who could spearhead this effort.
                2) They came back with the recommendation that the rules were fine as they were written.
                3) Some of us at least continued to think the rules needed reform as they created confusion on the battlefield of bending ("He cheated . . . What do you call that? . . . Look at where his chin was . . . In the old days . . . Move on . . .").
                4) David Wigren subsequently recommended that the primary focus should be on recognizing that the Red/Gold Nail bends were unbraced and he suggested a revision of the key elements from the existing rules to reflect this.
                5) The Evil Dr. Strossen thought David had hit the nail on the head, so rather than continuing with a situation that had people wigging out on a regular basis, he suggested incorporating this material into a new set of rules which he then put out for review and discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post
                  Andy -

It's a good time to summarize the long and winding road we've been traveling on this topic:

1) I asked for a review of the Red Nail rules, citing concerns, and suggested a few guys who could spearhead this effort.
                  2) They came back with the recommendation that the rules were fine as they were written.
                  3) Some of us at least continued to think the rules needed reform as they created confusion on the battlefield of bending ("He cheated . . . What do you call that? . . . Look at where his chin was . . . In the old days . . . Move on . . .").
                  4) David Wigren subsequently recommended that the primary focus should be on recognizing that the Red/Gold Nail bends were unbraced and he suggested a revision of the key elements from the existing rules to reflect this.
                  5) The Evil Dr. Strossen thought David had hit the nail on the head, so rather than continuing with a situation that had people wigging out on a regular basis, he suggested incorporating this material into a new set of rules which he then put out for review and discussion.
                  Excellent! Thank you. I am very, very, glad that the Red Nail cert can continue on as it has been, good stuff.

Comment

• Good set of rules there. Clear and to the point. Nice work.

On a side note, when I watched the video of Tommy Jennings red nail cert, I thought to myself. . . . . Are they going to measure the length or not !? I hope it's been long enough so that we can all laugh at that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Casey Emery View Post
                      Good set of rules there. Clear and to the point. Nice work.

On a side note, when I watched the video of Tommy Jennings red nail cert, I thought to myself. . . . . Are they going to measure the length or not !? I hope it's been long enough so that we can all laugh at that one.

Had me laughing too!

Comment

• Originally posted by Andy Thomas View Post
                        Excellent! Thank you. I am very, very, glad that the Red Nail cert can continue on as it has been, good stuff.
                        . . . and on to the Gold Nail!

Comment

Working...
                        X