The greatest Strongman of all time???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest Strongman of all time???

I hate making sweeping statements, and try to avoid using them. But after Z's recent victory in Brazil at the Arnold's, along with once again setting a new world record on the log, can there be any doubt he's the greatest of all time?

Yes He is a Great Strongman, dammed lucky to Win the Arnold and WSM this Year, and as He has been in it for Longer than anyone else, even thou He for so reason does not do much for me, but saying that He is Fantastic, and has to be the Best, I say that with a Little Anger, as I think Mariusz was and could have been a far far far Better Strongman, and all round, Mariusz just had it all. Just look how Strong Mariusz was in His last WSM, AND He tore His Biceps in March, thus only had Three Months to prepare, and it was so dammed close in the end, if He had came in without the Injury and full Strength, He would have Won, and if He had gone on, would have got even Stronger and Stronger.

To me, and just about every one you chat to, Mariusz is the Best Strongman ever, and most don’t even know big Z, it’s a shame, as they just say, ho if Mariusz that Polish Guy was there He would have best that Fat Guy, but you have to hand it to Him, He is the Strongest all round as this moment, but for how long. I think at about 45 you are at your Strongest, mind you, I am now 53 and as Strong as I ever was, but the Fight is not there like the Old Days, only some will get that.

Wayne

Comment

I'll take Kaz, Jon Pall, anyone over Pudz. He never won the Arnold's. Never even competed in Fortissimus. The number of world records he holds pales in comparison to the amount Z has. Ok. 5 WSM titles. But Pfister took him down, and Poundstone was **** close to doing the same. And of course this was during the IFSA break, when all the REALLY strong guys were over there. Example, Pfister competed in IFSA and got creamed in 2005. 2006 he competes in WSM and wins. Says something. Just going on stats, Pudz is a bit further down the list.

Comment

The greatest of all times is Zydrunas Savickas . No doubt. By the number of competitive years, the number of world titles, the number of compétitions, world records, wins. Overall he stands above any other competitor by a mile .

Competitive years :22
        No of compétitions in Strongman : 220
        No of podiums: 186
        No of wins:138
        No of world records: 58 (established /held)
        No of major titles won: 18

And we coud go on.

Mariusz Pudzianowski rocked the Strongman community between 2002 and 2008.

No of competitions : 59
        No of wins: 42i
        No of world records : 4
        No of major titles won: 8:

Bill Kazmaier's track record in Strongman:

No of official competitions : 21
        No of wins:14
        No of major titles won:5
        No of world records:7

My top five in Strongman on the basis of the above mentioned criterias:

Zydrunas Savickas
        Marisz Pudzianowski
        Jon Pall Sigmarsson
        Magnus Ver Manusson
        Geoff Capes

Comment

Mr. Ohl -

Thank you posting that info! I would argue that the stats alone don't tell the whole story, as there are many more competitions nowadays than when JPS and Kaz were competing, and thus many more chances to break world records (and many more events that have recognized world records). That said, I would still largely agree with your top 5.

Ian -

I know Pudz is easy to dislike, but we cannot discount what he did in strongman. Even after the IFSA guys came back into the WSM fold, he still placed 2nd at WSM after a bicep injury (reportedly) that summer. The margin by which Pudz won contests and individual events was often so staggering that it seemed unreal. Recall the farmer's walk with 353 per hand at his last WSM appearance. Pudz won that event by something like 7seconds. Seven seconds! Now before anyone says that speed isn't strength, let's remember that the easier the load is to carry, the faster one can move with it. Carrying enormous weight was simply so easy for Pudz that he always dominated those events. It wasn't endurance (20-30sec of effort has nothing to do with endurance from a physiologocal standpoint), it was just the fact that he was so strong top to bottom that he could carry weights as fast as he wanted. Further proof: the frame carry at the Arnold. Pudz placed very high (2nd I believe) in that event when he did the Arnold despite it being considered unreasonably heavy by most competitors and experts. Don't forget he was the lightest man by a mile as well.

Is Pudz "better" than JPS or Kaz? Hard to say, but I will admit that he's in the conversation.

Comment

Paul Ohl,
            I like Geoff Capes but I'm curious as to why you rank him in your top 5 and not Kaz. To the best of my knowledge, he's never beaten Kaz in competition and he even once said himself that he thought Kaz was the strongest man in the world. You have way more information and know much more than I do about these guys so I'm just wondering what your reasoning is.
            Last edited by Craig T. Covington; 05-15-2014, 08:46 PM.
            http://www.strengthoftheword.com

Comment

Craig,

I gave it a lot of thought and some research:

Here is , to the best of my knowledge, Capes' track record in Strongman:

No of official competitions: 29
              No of wins: 21
              No of major titles: 6
              No of world records: 3

Would I bite my nails off if you think Kaz deserves to be top 5 ? Of course not. It could be heads or tails ....that close !

Comment

Paul D

Obviously Pudz was good. But let's just take WSM out of the picture. I know that's silly, but indulge me. Pudz's record looks pretty flimsy at that point. Thanks to Paul Ohl's fastidious research, Z would win by a landslide then. You're right. Numbers don't tell the whole story. But it's pretty hard to refute Z's stats. The man is phenomenal. No way around it.

Comment

Thanks Paul O. Even though Kaz is my personal favorite and I would rate him above Capes, I agree with you and Ian and would rank Big Z at the top of the list of who is the best.

Comment

But what if we through out length of career and just took all strongman winners in there best year. Who wins then?

Comment

Kaz could have competed a lot longer—he didn't get all the invitations to WSM he might have, right? I only raise this point to show that the length and breadth of one's career isn't always wholly in the hands of the athletes—it's the same sort of thing we saw during the days of what I call IFSA II.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post
                        Kaz could have competed a lot longer—he didn't get all the invitations to WSM he might have, right? I only raise this point to show that the length and breadth of one's career isn't always wholly in the hands of the athletes—it's the same sort of thing we saw during the days of what I call IFSA II.
                        Agreed. Kaz probably didn't have as many opportunities as modern Strongmen have. He's in my top 3. But I'd put him third behind Jon Pall.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian McCrae View Post
                          Agreed. Kaz probably didn't have as many opportunities as modern Strongmen have. He's in my top 3. But I'd put him third behind Jon Pall.
                          I think Kaz gives us an idea of how one's impact can go beyond even a formidable competition record—have to remember, too, that Kaz is still actively involved in strongman and while it's not as a competitor, he's easily go the record for the longest span of active involvement, doesn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post
                            I think Kaz gives us an idea of how one's impact can go beyond even a formidable competition record—have to remember, too, that Kaz is still actively involved in strongman and while it's not as a competitor, he's easily go the record for the longest span of active involvement, doesn't he?
                            Indeed

Comment

Here's what I love about Kaz and another reason that stats alone don't tell the whole story (though they do a great job telling most of the story):

Kaz sought out challenges at seemingly every corner, regardless of whether it was official competition or not, whether it was part of "strongman sport" or not, and regardless of who else was involved. Example: the Inver Stone. The tale, as I know it, is that basically Kaz heard about this stone, went to lift it, and decided he would go ahead and be the first man to press it overhead because it was just another way to prove he was the man. There were no points being scored, he didn't have to do it, he simply chose to do it because he believed he was the strongest man in the world. Notice I didn't say "the best strongman". Today, "the best strongman" seems to describe someone that is very good at a particular handful of events. Kaz would take on any challenge with the full belief that he would be the best at it because he was the strongest guy in every conceivable way, shape, & form. You have got to love that attitude!

Comment

One of the things I like most about the old strongman contests was that guys didn't have Atlas Stones and every other piece of equipment at their disposal to practice on. They lifted weights and then tried to transfer that strength to whatever the event was. Familiarity with, and the ability to train on the equipment from the various events gives todays competitors an advantage over the old guys. But, when it comes to the pure strength events based on the basic lifts, except for the overhead log press, strength levels haven't really gone up. In the squat and deadlift, Kaz's numbers would still kick some serious butt.

Comment

Very good point Craig.

Comment

Well, I've been biting my tongue when the conversation turned to Zydrunas Savickas and his record(s) in strongman, but now the cat's out of the bag:

http://www.ironmind.com
                                    http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...ld_Friend.html

Comment

Ha! Love it. I must be psychic

Comment

Hi All,
                                        Think it’s quite Funny when People say Kaz or Jon, what could they Log Lift ??? 355 Pounds, most People Today Could do Reps with that, I mean Mariusz did 8 Reps with Heaver; don’t think they would get Close to any Of Today’s Strongman.
                                        And Just Watch Mariusz below, and this (If anyone does not think He Tear His biceps in March, just Look at the Scar here) is after He Tear His Biceps in March, thus had at the most just Three, Yes just Three Months to Train for the WSM, and with that He Proved to Me and I would say Most in the World, that in His Short Time at Strongman He was the Best Ever, Big Z is Good, but Mariusz was the Best. He had More Power, Power is the rate of doing Work Faster Per Unit of Time, and equivalent to an amount of Energy consumed Per Unit Time, He had More Impulse, Force/Strength More of Per Unit of Time.
                                        Blew all out of the Water, 7 Seconds in Front of all, and after He Tear His Biceps in March, thus had at the most just Three, Yes just Three Months to Train for the W.S.M. Note Him at 2.00.
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOGLK7uYunc
                                        Just Two Reps behind after He Tear His Biceps in March, thus had at the most just Three, Yes just Three Months to Train for the W.S.M. Note Him at 2.00.
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9CYOUOjrds
                                        23 Seconds Faster than Big Z, after He Tear His Biceps in March, thus had at the most just Three, Yes just Three Months to Train for the W.S.M. Note Him at 2.00.
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7qyO8LXTrY
                                        5th in the Plane Pull, but the Lightest Man there, showing more Strength Per Bodyweight.
                                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCJAXcOw5Yw
                                        This One was Amazing, I mean after He Tear His Biceps in March, thus had at the most just Three, Yes just Three Months to Train for the W.S.M. He was just 1 Rep Behind Big Z in the overhead Very Heavy 366 Pound, I mean Mariusz Was so Good, He Will be so Hard to Beat. But We all have Different Opinions.
                                        Fingals Fingers, ok 6th, this Cost Him Big Points, but, after He Tear His Biceps in March, thus had at the most just Three, Yes just Three Months to Train for the W.S.M.
                                        Atlas Stones, this can go anyway, all Depends.
                                        Wayne

Comment

Working...
                                        X