• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's Strongest Man 2016

Here's the first qualifier for World's Strongest Man 2016

http://www.ironmind.com
    http://www.ironmind.com/news/Giants-...est-Man-2016-/

Looks like a exciting comp. I'd guess Bjornsson, Kobylarz and Felix would be the favourites to get the WSM spots, but there are lot of unknown quantities there. Looking forward to see how DeVaughn goes, isn't he supposed to be the new big thing in American Strongman? I'm also intrigued to see how Licis performs I believe he was the complete surprise that won Odd Haugen's comp earlier in the year beating the likes of DeVaughn, Pirjol and Ostlund.

Comment

Hafthor, Felix, Licis qualify for World's Strongest Man 2016

http://www.ironmind.com
      http://www.ironmind.com/news/Bjornss...gest-Man-2016/

Comment

It's hard to believe that we are already having qualifiers for WSM 2016.

Also, Mark Felix at his age to do what he is doing is a superhuman effort, some of these guys are 1/2 his age if not less.

Comment

Ben and Neil -

Sure, we don't know the location, let alone the events for WSM 2016, but I'm picking Hafthor (again) to win—if he sticks with strongman and doesn't get distracted by other offers, it seems like his destiny to carry the title back to Iceland.

What do you guys think?

Comment

Randall -

I disagree with the early annointing of Hafthor. Sure he will be a top contender, but he has looked decidedly human in the first half of this year. Additionally, I just do not see him beating a healthy Shaw. Shaw has the Icelander edged on the deadlift and the press in most cases, and has the weight advantage for events like truck pulls and the like. It seems the majority of people that have opinions on such matters have been picking Hafthor to win for three years now, so I may go so far as to say his legacy may end up as "the strongest man to never win the title" along with such legends as Kiri and Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul D Mouser View Post
              Randall -

I disagree with the early annointing of Hafthor. Sure he will be a top contender, but he has looked decidedly human in the first half of this year. Additionally, I just do not see him beating a healthy Shaw. Shaw has the Icelander edged on the deadlift and the press in most cases, and has the weight advantage for events like truck pulls and the like. It seems the majority of people that have opinions on such matters have been picking Hafthor to win for three years now, so I may go so far as to say his legacy may end up as "the strongest man to never win the title" along with such legends as Kiri and Wilson.

Paul -

I can absolutely understand why you say what you do, but I'll stick with my pick.

Riku Kiri, yes—David Webster said that about him, I remember. Was that title also hung on OD Wilson?

Comment

I've heard Wilson, Kiri, Girard, & Badenhorst mentioned in that conversation - perhaps it would make a good thread for discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul D Mouser View Post
                  I've heard Wilson, Kiri, Girard, & Badenhorst mentioned in that conversation - perhaps it would make a good thread for discussion?
                  Paul -

Personally, I think that list is a little long—I say yes on your idea regarding a thread because we have some guys here who are very smart on strongman and could probably get into a lively conversation about who should be crowned the strongest man never to win WSM.

Comment

Well then, I'll get the ball rolling! Hopefully we garner some interest in the topic.

Comment

I've said time and again that if Thor sticks to strongman then it's a question of when rather than if he will be WSM.

I look forward to seeing who will be the next guy to step their game up to possible WSM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil Mitchell View Post
                        I've said time and again that if Thor sticks to strongman then it's a question of when rather than if he will be WSM.

I look forward to seeing who will be the next guy to step their game up to possible WSM.
                        Neil -

. . . or maybe even of how many times he'd win, don't you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post

Neil -

. . . or maybe even of how many times he'd win, don't you think?
                          Well, certainly that would be a question to. Big Z, Shaw & Bjornsson are just on the higher tier of the ladder with the rest looking up, how much longer can Z compete at this level? Shaw still has a few years left in him. As for the rest, Radzikowski so far hasn't been able to transfer his SCL form into WSM, Hall is improving year in/year out, can Burke find his form again in 2016?

Comment

Thor or Shaw? It all depends on the weight of the events. This year in Malaysia, we saw very heavy events such as the truck pull which I believe no one was able to finish, the dead lift and max log lift that were all about heavy static strength and the stones which proved very challenging for everyone to lift. Shaw's bodyweight and pure strength helped him in that contest. However, in 2014 in LA, the final was more about speed with the keg toss, loading race, and lighter stones and truck pull. Thor scored higher than Shaw because of his slightly better combination of speed and agility. Therefore, who wins between the two of them could come down to what the events truly test, which is why I would like to see a mix of heavier and lighter events in the WSM final. I don't know about how Z feels but if the injury bug starts to hit him now, it seems unlikely he'll come back as strong as he was before.

Comment

I think it's going to be between Shaw and Thor for the next few years. I know you should never write off Savickas but you've got to think time is going to catch up on him soon. I think Shaw is statically the strongest and Thor is probably the best on the movement events, so a lot will depend on the events next year. The thing in Thor's favour is that he is about 6 or 7 years younger than Shaw, so if he can avoid getting too beat up doing all the competitions he is pilling up, time is on his side.
                              As for the strongest man never to win, I think you'd have to Poundstone in that list given his achievements in other comps and I always thought Bergmanis was very underrated. Thinking about it the early 2000s were an exciting period. You had Samulesson, Virtanen, Karlson, Bergmanis, Virastyuk, Girard, a young Pudzianowski and Savickas, all of whom had a shot at taking the title. Hopefully in the future we will have a few more names today to add to the big three, who at the moment, are the only realistic contenders to win the WSM.

Comment

Thor just won Europe's Strongest Man over Radzikowski and a tie for third between Felix and Zageris. All of those probably automatically qualify for next year's WSM, although I'm sure most of the ESM athletes will get a spot no matter what.

Comment

Final results from 2015 ESM (unofficial):
                                  1. Hafthor Bjornsson (ISL) 43
                                  2. Krzysztof Radzikowski (POL) 39.5
                                  3. Mark Felix (ENG) 31.5
                                  3. Dainis Zageris (LAT) 31.5
                                  5. Matjaz Belsak (SLO) 23.5
                                  6. Terry Hollands (ENG) 18.5
                                  7. Eddie Hall (ENG) 18
                                  8. Dimitar Savatinov (BUL) 17
                                  9. Luke Stoltman (SCO) 15

Hall took part in dead lift and medley only. He, Thor and Radzikowski were the only event winners today.

Comment

Brief update.

Qualified Athletes:-
                                    1. Brian Shaw, USA
                                    2. Zydrunas Savickas, Lithuania
                                    3. Thor Bjornsson, Iceland
                                    4. Mark Felix, England
                                    5. Martins Licis, Latvia
                                    6. Krzysztof Radzikowski, Poland
                                    7. Johannes Arsjo, Sweden

***Not sure if Zageris T-3 spot gets him an automatic invite.***

Comment

I'd count Zageris, he finished 2nd in SCL and they usually take the SCL top 3 as well.

Comment

One of the best line-ups seen in years for next weekend's Britain's Strongest Man. The top three will go to WSM.

Eddie Hall
                                        Terry Hollands
                                        Laurence Shahlaei
                                        Mark Felix
                                        Adam Bishop
                                        Rob Frampton
                                        Darren Sadler
                                        Luke Stoltman
                                        Mark Jeanes
                                        Jonathan KelIy

I believe Hicks is still coming back from injuries, not sure why Chris Gearing is absent I know he was competing in some of the SCL events last year.

I guess Eddie will go in as most people's favourite but he's got some stiff competition this year. I expect Bishop and Felix to place high and if Hollands and Shahlaei are back to their best it will be an ultra competitive contest. Finally its also exciting to see Sadler back, he seems as if he's not competed for years so will be interesting to see how he goes.

Comment

Working...
                                        X