Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worlds Strongest Man 2017

Hi all,

Anybody have anything on this yet please ??? I wish for once they would tell us in plenty of time, then lots more of us may be able to go, and early book a flight and hotel. And I wish they would have not qualifications, just the 30 men, with say 12/15 events over a week, that would make it a real WSM, and spectacular. Or go back to 10 events in the final, watch this years and is no fun with just what was it 6 events.

Wayne

Nothing has been released yet but there has been hints it will be held somewhere in Africa again. Hopefully they will release dates earlier this year. So many top competitors missed last year because they were already committed to the SCL or Arnold comps.

I don’t mind the current structure with the qualifiers and final. The idea of having all competitors compete over 15 events is intriguing, but I don’t think it is very conducive for a tv show. I remember they had a similar type of structure in 2004, but to make it work they had to cut the competitors down by about half. Sometimes you have tougher groups than others, but I believe they do have a private seeding system which generally ensures the finalist are the best 10 that year.

As for the final I would prefer more events, but what with the current weights and having done qualifying, I think increasing the final to say 10 events would see a string on injuries. Personally I think the final can often seem boring because they cram it all into 45min show. This means we only see Shaw, Thor and Hall. I would have preferred to see more of the exciting new young strongmen like Licis, Janashia and Belsak who made this year’s WSM interesting.

Comment

As for WSM 2017, Arsjo, Forsmark and Felix have already qualified. The next qualifier will be Britain’s at the end of the month. Looks like one of the strongest line-ups in years. The line-up is rumoured to be:

Eddie Hall
      Laurence Shahlaei
      Terry Hollands
      Mark Felix
      Adam Bishop
      Graham Hicks
      Charlie Gough
      Luke Stoltman
      Tom Stoltman
      Paul Smith
      Mark Steele

I am intrigued to see Hicks comeback, and what Paul Smith and Tom Stoltman can do. They came 2nd and 4th respectively at Glenn’s Junior World’s contest. The top three will get an automatic invite to this year’s WSM, but in reality the top 5/6 will go.

Comment

Add Brian Shaw, Hafthor Bjornsson & Ed Hall to that list as last years podium finishers & Zydrunas Savickas as well as an actively competing former champion.

WSM Qualification List:-
        1. B. Shaw, USA - Reigning WSM.
        2. H. Bjornsson, Iceland - 2nd WSM 2016
        3. E. Hall, England - 3rd WSM 2016, 1st Britain's Strongest Man 2017
        4. J. Arsjo, Sweden - Giants Live Nordic Championships
        5. M. Forsmark, Sweden - Giants Live Nordic Championships
        6. M. Felix, England - Giants Live Nordic Championships, 5th Europe's Strongest Man 2017
        7. T. Hollands, England, 3rd Europe's Strongest Man 2017, 4th Giants Live Nordic Championships.
        8. J. Paquet, Canada, 5th Giants Live Nordic Championships
        9. L. Shahlaei, England, 2nd Britain's Strongest Man 2017
        10. G. Hicks, England, 3rd Britain's Strongest Man 2017
        11. L. Stoltman, Scotland, 4th Britain's Strongest Man 2017
        12. J. Pritchett, USA, 3rd Arnold Strongman Classic
        13. K. Janashia, Georgia, 4th Europe's Strongest Man 2017
        14. M. Belsak, Slovenia, 6th Euope's Strongest Man 2017
        15. Z. Savickas, Lithuania - 4 x WSM.
        16. R. Kearney, USA, Wildcard
        17. N. Best, USA, Wildcard.
        Last edited by Neil Mitchell; 04-05-2017, 07:37 AM.

Comment

World's Strongest Man 2017 will be held in Botswana from May 6 to May 14.

http://www.botswanatourism.co.bw/eve...-strongest-man

http://www.eventik.co.bw/cevent/worl...an-qualifiers/

It's going to be 2 months after the Arnold, and only a month after Europe's Strongest Man. We unfortunately have to expect some big guys will drop out before WSM due to injuries. The dates also mean that anyone taking part in Arnold Classic Africa will not be in WSM this year.

As for the logistics, it seems the qualifiers will be in Gaborone, which is the capital of Botswana, while the finals will be held in Kasane, where last year's World's were held.

So, it seems we're only 3 months away now!

Comment

You would think that the SCL will have a competition or two in and around those dates as well. With The Arnold Classic becoming a World Tour now we might have to get use to WSM not having the biggest names in the sport attending it just like when IFSA was around.

Comment

Hi and thank you. I want to go, anyone here going, or been before to this area Botswana ??? Kasane it would be, great hotal by victoria falls.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_..._Province.html

Wayne

Originally posted by Eloi Fournier View Post
              World's Strongest Man 2017 will be held in Botswana from May 6 to May 14.

http://www.botswanatourism.co.bw/eve...-strongest-man

http://www.eventik.co.bw/cevent/worl...an-qualifiers/

It's going to be 2 months after the Arnold, and only a month after Europe's Strongest Man. We unfortunately have to expect some big guys will drop out before WSM due to injuries. The dates also mean that anyone taking part in Arnold Classic Africa will not be in WSM this year.

As for the logistics, it seems the qualifiers will be in Gaborone, which is the capital of Botswana, while the finals will be held in Kasane, where last year's World's were held.

So, it seems we're only 3 months away now!

Comment

According to Starting Strongman (and Brian Shaw saying that it's 9 weeks away) it looks like it will actually be held from May 19 to May 28. I believe the location is still Botswana.

Comment

According to Starting Strongman (and Brian Shaw saying that it's 9 weeks away) it looks like it will actually be held from May 19 to May 28. I believe the location is still Botswana.
                  Thank you, better for me if I do go, more time to plan. I wish the Worlds Strongest Man would make an official announcement.

Wayne

Comment

It has now been confirmed by Botswana Tourism to be from May 20th to May 28th. Heats will be held from the 20th to the 23rd, and finals on the 27-28 weekend. Everything will take place in the capital city of Botswana, Gaborone.

Comment

Rob Kearney, a massive log presser from the United States, has earned himself an invite. He will be the first openly gay athlete to compete at the World's Strongest Man. We should also expect pretty much everyone competing at Europe's Strongest Man to have an invite.

Comment

Rob Kearney, a massive log presser from the United States, has earned himself an invite. He will be the first openly gay athlete to compete at the World's Strongest Man. We should also expect pretty much everyone competing at Europe's Strongest Man to have an invite.
                        Hollands, Janashia & Belsak all qualified at Europe's thanks to the performances and Thor, Ed & Felix already qualifying. Not sure about Stoltman, rumour is he will be going to WSM either as part of the 30 or alternate.

Comment

Surely will be given some kind of award soon such as "Time Man of The Year", unless of course it has now been changed to 'person of the year'.

Comment

Stoltman is already in the 30 because the top 5 in each Giants Live get invited nowadays. Jimmy Paquet of Canada got one in Sweden too, and Adam Bishop might be invited depending on how his bicep is.

Comment

Stoltman is already in the 30 because the top 5 in each Giants Live get invited nowadays. Jimmy Paquet of Canada got one in Sweden too, and Adam Bishop might be invited depending on how his bicep is.
                              Didn't realise they altered it to top 5, I thought it was top 3 spots and then worked down the order if any of those had already qualified.

I think Arsjo injured his back so I'm not sure what condition he's in for WSM either.

Hopefully, Bishop can compete at WSM.

Comment

Anyone of you going, I want to go, but would be nice to have some company, as long old trip, but so much to see other then the WSM.For my its cardiff to Holland, Holland to Johannesburg, then it a 55 minute flight to where the finals are.

Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne G Rowley View Post
                                  Anyone of you going, I want to go, but would be nice to have some company, as long old trip, but so much to see other then the WSM.For my its cardiff to Holland, Holland to Johannesburg, then it a 55 minute flight to where the finals are.

Wayne
                                  Someday my friend. I think for me to go to WSM I'd need a bit more notice of the dates.

I hope you have a good time.

Comment

Luke and Tom Stoltman are going to be representing Scotland (or Great Britain) at this year's World's Strongest Man.

Comment

Great to see the field shaping up, wonder who will receive the other wildcards. I am pretty sure Caron, Licis, Kielszkowski, Szymanski will have been invited as last year's finalists.

I also hope the likes of Zageris, Lalas, Wildauer, Oberst, Savatinov, Radzikowski and Shivlyakov get an invite. Guess a lot will depend on injuries and/or existing commitments to other comps. Do any of the SCL or Arnold comps clash with WSM this year?

The strength in depth in strongman at the moment is so high, imagine if we actually saw the top 30 strongmen in the world get invited, the heats would be so much more competitive than we often see.

Comment

Also great to see the Stoltman brothers get invited. I think they will be the first brothers at the same WSM since the Samuelssons in the early 2000s. Guess we could also see the Lalas and Hadge brothers compete together in the near future as well.

Comment

Working...
                                        X