No announcement yet.

Worlds Strongest Man 2017

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah the last man standing thing seemed to be utterly pointless. It actually seems to have made things less competitive. From what I understand, the person in first place after 5 events automatically qualified (so this didn't stop the top guys not trying in the stones because this time they didn't even have to compete.) In addition, it was virtually impossible to move up a place because those who went first were shattered by the time they took on the next person. Did anyone actually move up into the 2nd qualifying place, who was outside of it before going into the final event?

I guess its just another gimmicky attempt to make the qualifiers more exciting that has failed - just like double points, wildcards, and 'king of the stones' titles. This maybe a controversial idea, but I've always thought if you want everyone to give their all in the last event of the qualifiers, make it double up as the first event of the finals. It would sort out the final placings in the heats and decide the top 2 qualifiers, but then you could take the times of the 10 finalists to decide the points of the first event of the final.

This would ensure the likes of Shaw, Thor and Hall would give their all in the stones and make the final event more exciting if the groups are already pretty much decided. It would also help with another criticism of Worlds, namely that because it is a TV show there is not enough time for more events in the final. The only downside would be because you've already done the atlas stones in the heats and used the placings in the final, you couldn't really end with it in the finals as well. Maybe you could replace one with the manhood stones, or do a head to head power stairs instead, as they have done in the past.

Its just a thought, but I don't think it would be any worse than some of the other gimmicks in recent years.

Comment

I know it's made for TV but I don't know if it will connect with the audience, guys lifting an atlas stone back and forth for a couple of minutes doesn't sound interesting to me.

Have places 2-4 compete in Atlas Stones or Power Stairs for double pts. 8-6-4-2.

Comment

As much as I would like to see Thor win I think Shaw is just too consistent on everything for him not to win.

My prediction:-
        1. B. Shaw
        2. E. Hall
        3. T. Bjornsson

Comment

Day 1 of the Finals is over & the top 3 is:-

1. Ed Hall - 26 pts. Won the Squat & Viking Press
          2. Brian Shaw - 25.5 pts. Won the Tyre Flip
          3. Thor Bjornsson - 22.5 pts.

Comment

Has anyone seen any results from day 2? The rumor I've heard is that the truck pull went like this.

Kielskowsi
            Thor
            Eddie
            Loz
            Shaw

Points going into the DL:
            Hall 34
            Shaw 31.5
            Thor 31.5

Can't find anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotty Blyly View Post
              Has anyone seen any results from day 2? The rumor I've heard is that the truck pull went like this.

Kielskowsi
              Thor
              Eddie
              Loz
              Shaw

Points going into the DL:
              Hall 34
              Shaw 31.5
              Thor 31.5

Can't find anything else.
              Going into last event:-

Hall 44
              Shaw 40
              Thor 40

Comment

Eddie Hall is the World's Strongest Man. He finished on 51 points, with Thor getting 50 and Shaw 49.

Comment

How the heck did Big Z end up finishing 9th? Was he injured?
                  http://www.strengthoftheword.com

Comment

Yes, he had a shoulder/neck injury. Perhaps a re-occurrence of the issues he's been struggling with the last couple years.

Comment

Apparently Eddie Hall has now retired from WSM.

I suppose they will try to bring him back to defend it but I think Eddie is happy to bow out having achieved everything he set out to do, his health has been talked about for a while and his intentions is to drop some weight while continuing to compete at British competitions until retirement.

Once again, very impressive WSM for J-F Caron & Martins Licis. If Licis continues to improve like this then he will win WSM one day, he's still relatively young and new to the sport but his numbers and performances continue to impress. J-F Caron doesn't perhaps get the credit he deserves, breaking into the group of Thor/Hall/Z/Shaw is almost impossible but Caron is capable, perhaps he needs to add 25lbs or so bulk to his frame.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how the strongman landscape has changed after this year's WSM.

With Hall's retirement from WSM I can only see Shaw or Thor winning the title over the next few years (providing all this year's controversy and social media comments haven't burned all the bridges - rightly or wrongly - between themselves and the organisers). Even then, if Thor wins I can see him following Eddie into retirement to focus on his acting career. Thus if Shaw, who's still only in his mid-30s i believe, says healthy and motivated, he could dominate for years.

After all, there seems to be a big gap between the top three guys, and the next 20 or so competitors (who there isn't much too choose between). I realise there is some young and rapidly improving guys like Licis, Kileskowski, Janashia and Belsak, but they would need to make massive jump to reach the top competitors.

The only others who appear to have the ability to challenge the likes of Shaw and Thor in the near-medium future, like Savickas and Lalas, have had serious injuries take their toll and I am doubtful we will ever seem them reach the levels of the past. I wonder how serious Poundstone's comeback is. Its probably just a one comp thing, but he could have the ability to mix things up.

Comment

Working...
                        X