The 2017 Arnold Sports Festival

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2017 Arnold Sports Festival

The 2017 Arnold Sports Festival, which takes place annually in Columbus, Ohio, will feature a Dinnie Stone “lift and hold” competition when it is held from March 2 to 5.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...gman-festival/
    "Action cures fear"

The Arnold Classic vs World’s Strongest Man - which one is "better"?

http://startingstrongman.com/2017/01/19/the-worlds-strongest-m...
    "Action cures fear"

Comment

Originally posted by igor heren View Post
      The Arnold Classic vs World’s Strongest Man - which one is "better"?

http://startingstrongman.com/2017/01/19/the-worlds-strongest-m...
      Tough question.

Both competitions are 'the two majors' in strongman but both have their faults.

Ed Hall not being invited to The Arnold Classic 2017 is a shocking decision if he isn't injured. This is the guy who lifted 500kgs, admittedly, Ed seems to have problems seeing a competition out and could maybe do with missing The Arnold's and dropping a few kgs. We've seen it at other times as well with guys not getting invited who should be there.

At the same time WSM has been notorious over the years for leaving at least one or two guys out of the line-up who deserve to be there, in recent years you could point to Tarmo Mitt & Ervin Katona while even last year at WSM 2016, we had possibly one of the poorest looking fields in WSM history.

WSM is made for TV, guys compete in between 1 - 3 events per day over a 10 day or so period which sometimes knocks guys out of their rhythm i.e. Hugo Girard could never seem to get himself comfortable and focused at WSM.

The Arnold Classic takes place on a stage and being a 'static' competition can sometimes bore people who have been brought up on a TV diet of WSM, Giant's Live, SCL.

I don't think one competition is better than the other, but what I would say is that unless you follow Strongman, your more likely to remember the winner of WSM that you are the winner of ASC. I think if you asked some casual fans, they probably wouldn't know what the ASC is.

Comment

I prefer ASC.

Fewer events, basic moves (off the ground, over the head, heavy carries), two days instead of ten.

Short and extremely heavy, essence of strongman.

I wish that Mr. Todd had never removed stone and had never added straps in timber carry.

"Action cures fear"

Comment

I prefer ASC.

Fewer events, basic moves (off the ground, over the head, heavy carries), two days instead of ten.

Short and extremely heavy, essence of strongman.

I wish that Mr. Todd had never removed stone and had never added straps in timber carry.
          Just on that note, I would like to see WSM ban tacky & suits, I think this would shake up the results on Atlas Stones & Deadlift/Squat.

Comment

One plus more for ASC.

In amateur competition, "stone of steel" is used and tacky is banned, only chalk is allowed.

Bring back stone to pro competition ASC.
            "Action cures fear"

Comment

Although not a fan of either competition for reasons understood by many of my 'fans' on here I would like to offer a comment: It seems that strongman has become extremely boring over the last few years, with the only change being that events are getting heavier. We are always seeing the same format played out, with competitors training to be good at these specific events to the detriment of all round muscular development. This has had the effect where technique has become very refined and some excellent performances have been achieved on so called 'classic events'. But are the athletes actually stronger or have they just found a way to look stronger?

I have always been fascinated by challenges which put people at some kind of disadvantage, and where the outcome is slightly unpredictable. The kind of things that demonstrate immense willpower and raw strength. We don't seem to be seeing too much of that these days. Competitors know what to expect and how to train to look good well in advance.

When WSM was the only kid on the block and televised once a year perhaps people were not getting bored so easily. Problem is we are seeing the same format duplicated over and over again. Very rarely do we see innovative new events. Perhaps the whole thing has become a victim of its own success more than anything, and of course the drugs have only added to this problem, just as they have in professional bodybuilding. When you have seen the same thing too many times it ceases to amaze.

There are two things that could be done to make a really good competition: 1) Invent some brand new, sadistic challenges that blend strength and endurance, 2) Don't tell anybody what the events will be beforehand. Everybody goes in blind.

Comment

It's inevitably, if we want recognized and official sport.

It's impossible without standardization.

Strongman Corporation and Arnold Sports Festival leaders do a job in that direction.

Early MMA was made up as clash of styles. Nowdays everybody trains everything - wrestling, boxing, kicking, jiu jistu etc.

It's the price of progress.

Standardization.
                "Action cures fear"

Comment

It's inevitably, if we want recognized and official sport.

It's impossible without standardization.

Strongman Corporation and Arnold Sports Festival leaders do a job in that direction.

Early MMA was made up as clash of styles. Nowdays everybody trains everything - wrestling, boxing, kicking, jiu jistu etc.

It's the price of progress.

Standardization.
                  I strongly disagree with that statement. There already are many standardized activities in the iron game, such as Olympic Lifting and Powerlifting. Part of the reason why WSM came about was to bring together athletes from a number of different disciplines in competition to find out who really is the strongest.

Sports such as football and wrestling offer a far less controlled structure from one minute to the next, but both sports are immensely more popular than strongman. It is possible to have completely unstandardized strongman competitions, or indeed a mixture of both. However the fully standardized model has little appeal, especially when there will always be events that suit taller/shorter athletes or heavier/lighter ones. For a competition to find the worlds strongest man you need to create challenges that put athlete squarely against athlete on as even a playing field as possible, but at the same time have the element of uncertainty and surprise there.

One good event I saw recently was the one where athletes had hold of either end of a long pole and had to try to push one another out of a circle. Another interesting one was where they were in a seated row position pulling on a rope and lifting a giant bag of wool using a pulley mechanism. Both events that require no standardization as such but are entertaining to watch. Also I would much rather see people having to lift odd shaped natural stones without any tacky.

I would also add that part of the reason why MMA has become so popular is because, due to the mixture of styles, you can never really know what to expect in an opponent. You only have to see how Mariusz got leathered a few years back to realize that WSM exists largely in a vacuum.
                  Last edited by Gerard Matthews; 01-25-2017, 03:11 AM.

Comment

"A completely different style than the World’s Strongest Man Contest is presented in Ohio. The mind-blowing weights shift the athlete’s focus to pure limit strength rather than physical conditioning and athleticism. Many consider the victor of this event to be the strongest man on the planet, and it is easily the most live viewed contest of the year."

https://barbend.com/arnold-classic-preview-2017/
                    "Action cures fear"

Comment

Preparing for the ARnold's, 211 log lift easily by B. Shaw:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQZLsMJFl26/
                      "Action cures fear"

Comment

Jennifer Millican of Tennessee was flying under the radar when she swept 2016 Raw Nationals, winning overall best lifter and setting new records in the squat and total of her 57kg weight class. She's looking to repeat that victory this year on the Arnold's stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QY3Ful2WW8
                        "Action cures fear"

Comment

Arnold Strongman Classic 2017 Event Schedule:
                          Friday, March 3, 2017
                          ASC Event One 3:50-4:45 PM
                          The Bale Tote: 1565 lbs....
                          Expo Center Stage
                          ASC Event Two: 4:45—5:30
                          The Timber Carry: 1140 lbs.
                          Expo Center Stage
                          Saturday, March 4, 2017
                          ASC Event Three: 1:15 PM—3:15 PM
                          The Rogue Elephant Bar Deadlift
                          Expo Center Stage
                          ASC Event Four: 3:15-5:30
                          The Bag Over The Bar
                          Expo Center Stage
                          ASC Event Five: Approximately 9 PM
                          The Austrian Oak: 430 lbs.
                          Battelle Auditorium - On Stage at Bodybuilding Finals

"Action cures fear"

Comment

Unofficial, but it seems like Big Z will be out for 2 months with a neck injury.

Comment

Originally posted by Eloi Fournier View Post
                              Unofficial, but it seems like Big Z will be out for 2 months with a neck injury.
                              Right. He wrote this on his FB page:
                              "With sadness I must announce that practicing superyoke got injury and not able to participate in the Arnold Strongman Classic 2017. Superyoke weighing 710kg squeezed my nerves and disconnect my deltoid muscle. Reahabilitation may take about 2 moths. I hope asap to return to competitions. Thank you to all my fans and I`am sorry that this Arnold appear. I wish for all the athletes good performance and prevent injuries."
                              "Action cures fear"

Comment

Right. He wrote this on his FB page:
                                "With sadness I must announce that practicing superyoke got injury and not able to participate in the Arnold Strongman Classic 2017. Superyoke weighing 710kg squeezed my nerves and disconnect my deltoid muscle. Reahabilitation may take about 2 moths. I hope asap to return to competitions. Thank you to all my fans and I`am sorry that this Arnold appear. I wish for all the athletes good performance and prevent injuries."
                                Very sad to see one of the most enduring strongmen buckling under the strain. Whole thing has just gone too far and is ruining people's lives, all for the entertainment of a crowd of people who would not know or care about the difference between 300kg or 500kg and would find watching a naked woman more alluring. Drugs have spoiled strongman for everybody so thankyou very much Colin, Marcel, Ilka, Douglas, Arnold, Terry, Glenn and party for sticking with it for so long and bringing us to the logical conclusion that sensible people could have seen coming a mile off.
                                Last edited by Gerard Matthews; 02-22-2017, 03:24 AM.

Comment

"No one is hungrier to win a 2017 Arnold championship than Brian Shaw. The Rogue Athlete and 4-time World's Strongest Man narrowly missed winning the 2016 Arnold after an impressive competition from Arnold royalty Zydrunas Savickas edged him out of the top spot. Fresh off a recent World's Strongest Man win, Shaw is eager to add another Louie Cyr trophy to his case and start of 2017 in the lead."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg7AWnUl-aw
                                  "Action cures fear"

Comment

ROGUE Record Breakers will feature strength athletes attemping to set world records in four events.

LIFT AND HOLD WITH REPLICAS OF SCOTLAND'S FAMOUS DINNIE STONES
                                    Odd Haugen, Mark Felix, Dr. Bill Crawford, Stevie Shanks
                                    Challengers, all of whom are over 50 years old, must lift two fieldstones and hold above the platform for as long as possible. The light stone weights 321 pounds and the heavy stone weights 413 pounds.

CIRCUS DUMBBELL
                                    Dimitar Savatinov, Mateusz Kieliskowski, Josh Reynolds
                                    Savatinov will try lift the dumbbell overhead for at least one rep. Dumbbell weighs 312 pounds. Savatinov is the world record holder in the event with a press of 310 pounds.

MANHOOD STONE
                                    Brian Shaw, Martins Licis will try and lift a 560-pound stone over a wooden barrier 48 inches high.

WEIGHT OVER BAR
                                    Hafthor Bjornsson
                                    Bjornsson will try and toss a 56-pound ring weight over a high bar. Bjornsson set the world record in 2016 with a toss of 19 feet, 6 inches.
                                    "Action cures fear"

Comment

Standings after yoke and frame:
                                      1. Brian Shaw 20 pts
                                      2. Mateusz Kieliszkowski 18 pts
                                      3. Jerry Pritchett 16 pts
                                      4. Hafthor Bjornsson 13.5 pts
                                      5. Martins Licis 10 pts
                                      6. Mikhail Shivlyakov 9.5 pts
                                      7. Vytautas Lalas 9 pts
                                      8. Dimitar Savatinov 8 pts
                                      9. Krzysztof Radzikowski and Zack Hadge 3 pts
                                      Shaw looking set for an easy win. Kieliszkowski and Pritchett have looked great, and Pritchett should be right up there in deadlift while Mateusz might win log (Radz is injured). Thor will have to battle hard for a podium spot.

Comment

Mateusz is a big surprise.
                                        "Action cures fear"

Comment

Working...
                                        X