Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's Strongest Man 2011

Thomas -

I forgot to ask if you have a WSM 2011 podium prediction.

No problem, didnt want to seem too nit-picky just wanted to give you a heads up.

WSM 2011 podium predictions? I havent thought about that yet, but off the top of my head I would have to pick(in no particular order ):

Zydrunas Savickas, Brian Shaw and Derek Poundstone if he is fully healed and 100% by then. How about your picks Randall?
    HITstrongman Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/HITstrongman

Comment

World's Strongest Man 2011

Where's it going to be? What are the events? How will it be structured? Who's going to win?

Comment

I am going to kick this off by copying a couple of posts from the Canadian Strongman Article thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Heikes View Post
          WSM 2011 podium predictions? I havent thought about that yet, but off the top of my head I would have to pick(in no particular order ):

Zydrunas Savickas, Brian Shaw and Derek Poundstone if he is fully healed and 100% by then. How about your picks Randall?
          Thomas -

I'd say that Brian Shaw is the man to beat and the guys most likely to pressure him are Zydrunas Savickas, Derek Poundstone, Misha Koklyaev, Terry Hollands and Travis Ortmayer.

But it all comes down to events and how things develop over the course of the contest; and the list of dangerous men is not insubstantial: Laurence Shahlaei should be on everyone's list as a guy to watch, and with competitors like Nick Best and Louis-Philippe Jean focussed on bringing their A-game to, oops!, I almost spilled the beans on the venue (just kidding ), the only certainty is that the WSM 2011 title could well come down to the final matchup in the final event.
          Last edited by Randall Strossen; 05-10-2011, 07:12 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

You bring up a very good point in which events are in the finals, that will obviously make a big difference.

I certainly hope that it comes down to the last event, thats how its been the last several years and it is alot more exciting. In 2007 When Mariusz already clinched the title before the last event it took alot of the excitement out of it although his performance that year was probably his best ever.

As far as dark horses, I would agree with you on Loz, LPJ, Best and perhaps Stefan Solvi Petursson. I am curious to see how Mike Jenkins does if he goes to worlds, and perhaps also Vytautas Lalas.

Comment

Brian shaw and big z fighting for the title again

the 3rd place i would have to say out of 5 others

misha koklyaev,travis ortmayer ,steffan solvi petturson ,laurence shahlaei and rob szcepanski.

i miss off poundstone and hollands thru there injuries in the past and dont believe they can pull it off this year

would be better to really wait till groupings are announced

ps so does randall know the venue yet

wsm should really announce location a lot more months before so they get the best support from intrested spectators so the sport grows

also some of the locations need lots of planning such as budget ,visa requirments or malaria jabs

Comment

2011 wsm

It will take a fit and healthy Big Z to hold off Shaw. Mike Jenkins is a good dark horse along with the usual suspects (Poundstone, Hollands, Shalei, Kokleyv).

Comment

Originally posted by michael starkey View Post
                  ps so does randall know the venue yet

wsm should really announce location a lot more months before so they get the best support from intrested spectators so the sport grows

also some of the locations need lots of planning such as budget ,visa requirments or malaria jabs
                  Mike -

I'd have to take the fifth amendment on that one, but liked your line about malaria jabs!

Comment

Everyone probably saw the announcement about the amateur World's Strongest Man - contests and all:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...Announced.html

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope..._Question.html

So, what do you think: are we likely to see an amateur World's Strongest Man contest this year?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post
                        Everyone probably saw the announcement about the amateur World's Strongest Man - contests and all:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...Announced.html

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope..._Question.html

So, what do you think: are we likely to see an amateur World's Strongest Man contest this year?
                        Randall,

How do the IMG Licensing manager ( Carl Lawrence) and the South Florida CrossFit gyms' owner ( Michael King) define "Amateur WSM" ? That's the 1st question; an easy one.

Second question : the deal is US-tailor-made, at least at first sight. How does it reach a worldwide challenge ...for amateurs ?

Third question: where does it fit in with the NAS Nationals or the ASC for that matter ?

Fourth question: how and where will TV fit in ?

There are whispers that a hidden agenda aims at a TV reality show that will imitate THE CONTENDER ( all fists and furious)...

Comment

Providing all three competitors are fit I think 1st place; zydrunas, 2nd Brian shaw, 3rd; laurence shahlaei.

Comment

Cant really see anyone beating Brian Shaw so as long as theres no injuries I think it will be
                            1) Brian Shaw
                            2) Zydrunas Savickas
                            3) Travis Ortmayer

Comment

Location, Location, Location

The guessing games and the wait are over:

www.ironmind.com

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope..._Carolina.html

So, who's going to win?!
                              Last edited by Randall Strossen; 06-21-2011, 01:22 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Comment

This is awesome. Hopefully, I can make it.

Comment

I must say im dissapointed its in the usa
                                    another worlds strongestman competition i wont be able to attend in person

anywhere but south africa or america

Comment

I wonder why they have never had WSM in the UK? Considering how much more popular it is over ther compared to here in the states and considering that the contest is organized mostly by guys from the UK. Well, maybe someday. I think it would be really cool to have it in Scotland or Ireland, such a beautiful landscape much like how the 1992 WSM was set in Iceland. The stone lift event was next to a huge waterfall and the view was breathtaking, even just watching it on TV.

I will definitely be going to check it out this year, although the North Carolina humidity will be absolutely brutal that time of year.

Comment

World's Strongest Man 2011

With recent news of WSM'11 being near Charlotte, NC this year, I was curious to get everyones thoughts and expectations for the contest. Also, I though this could be a good information thread for those attending.

I plan on being there for as much as I can and filling up a few Memory cards with photos. So, any tips on how previous WSM's have worked as far as attendance, press passes, or photographers would be greatly appreciated (hint, hint, nudge, nudge Mr. Strossen)

currently my podium is

1.Shaw
                                        2.Zydrunas
                                        3.Poundstone

Comment

Working...
                                        X