Kim Wood's new pod-cast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kim Wood View Post
    thanks, Wes... the gizmo looks interesting. I'll follow-up on it. " Preventing concussions" is an interesting subject
    (with a whole bunch of hustlers involved along with many serious individuals...). I believe(as many do) that the number of concussions can be reduced by developing the muscular structures that dissipate the forces that can cause concussions. It's a subject
    that's going to need a great deal of research... because the human brain is far more vulnerable than we ever thought...
    And, there are no quick answers.

You would have enjoyed my presentation at our clinic last June. I presented a slide show of over 150 slides showing
    neck development methods and gizmos throughout the ages. As a wise Sage once said, "All things CAN yield knowledge..." ...
    and quite honestly, most gizmos are of some value. At the turn of last century(the early 1900's) development of
    a "big neck" was a major topic in the popular "strength" magazines. The tragedy of CTE will make it a major topic again.

(apart from some of the very new and sophisticated neck development machines...I too always found great value
    in training with neck straps, weighted football helmets(first seen in Peary Rader's old "The Iron Man" magazine) and
    bridging... ain't nothin' the matter with sticking to the basic stuff...)
    Kim, you made some interesting points. I have no doubt that the subject of concussions brings forth a huge number of hustlers with their chosen products. Many of the serious guys, including you, have a solid idea of what works best to prepare athletes for their chosen sport. Your emphasis on neck strength is relevant beyond functional use in sports, as the subject of CTE has hit the military as well http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/us...ombs.html?_r=0

Your presentation had to have gone over well. That would have been fascinating and could provide some variety in one's training. I recall a picture of Dr. Ken wearing a weighted helmet, which looks a if it would work the neck well. I can almost visualize myself wearing one for too long to see how sore I could get.

Plate raises from the forehead, band/strap work and front/rear bridging has been useful for me, though I've tried a few of the available neck machines. I liked a Hammer Strength neck machine I tried as well as an old Nautilus one from many years ago. I also tried an off brand 8 way neck machine that I did not like, as the resistance level was poor throughout. The latest neck machines would be interesting to try, yet as you noted the basics still do the job well...

Comment

(as a side note: the only photo I have of John Sizzmanski(noted ****head and skuzz) is him wearing a football helmet
      with an attachment for weights... in the photo there is no weight on the helmet and he's doing some kinda girl's
      push-up on some dipping bars! It's hilarious...and it doesn't appear he is kidding. When I see the photo I always
      say "up in the air, Jr. Birdman!"(we usta say that to make fun of dorks when I was a kid )(I still say it))

most of the commercial "4-way" neck machines are very good... my son has one of the very few Nautilus Rotary
      Neck Machines... and currently in development by Rogers Athletic are awesome "protrusion" and "jaw flexion"
      machines(developed by Mike Gittleson). There are many ways to skin a cat...and I think you'll be seeing
      many creative approaches to developing neck strength.
      Last edited by Kim Wood; 04-29-2015, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Kim, I am trying to imagine that man wearing a weighted helmet. Warren Tetting's description of him wasn't flattering, to say the least! And the amateurish web copy regarding his products that slammed Ironmind and others was particularly annoying at the time. The vision of him doing a girl's push up on dipping bars is almost too much! The guy probably had a naked picture of himself smoking a cigar placed conspicuously above his fireplace.

I remember the Nautilus Rotary Neck Machine. Very cool machine. Rogers athletic has some nice equipment, including their current neck machine for sale. I look forward to seeing some of the new stuff coming out, as creativity can be a good thing.

Comment

the need for neck size and strength (especially in contact sports) is going to bring about many new ideas and that's
          great... I really believe things have "flattened-out" in the strength world...it's a lot like things
          were just prior to Arthur Jones' arrival back in the early '70's... maybe a little flashier(and more corrupt) but underneath
          dull and empty... kinda reflects the times... Something's coming.

Comment

I've always felt neck training was important. One thing that stuck with me from when I was much younger, was reading about a guy in a car accident. His neck (and he) was heavily muscled, it said it probably saved him from a broken neck. Not sure if that was true or how they knew that, but it did stick with me. In the commercial gym I go to on occasion that my childhood friend owns there's a decent 4-way. At home I use my neck harness, shrugs, lying with plates held on forehead, etc. A lot of people neglect/ignore neck training... Big mistake...
            ------
            Dave

Comment

in the old days there usta be a social distinction between "the lifters" and "the pretty boys"(for a long time
              it jived along the lines of "the Hoffman guys"(who used the 1001 exercises...along with heavy "lifting" techniques)
              and "the Weider-trained men"(who used light weights and plenty of "pumping" exercises...like Bosco would
              say, "muscle spinners"...))... if you look in the old muscle magazines you'd see guys with overall "athletic development"
              like Grimek and Kono in the York magazines and male model types in the Weider mags... often you could tell
              the pretty boy-types by their lack of neck development(typical of the "Weider guys" was Don Howorth who had
              a very skinny neck(even before he went to prison)... although, one of the all time best articles(I'm joking here)
              EVER in a Weider magazine was the famous "Give The Neck a Break" article that showed you how to
              sort of hang your-self for that "go-go Marine tough"-big neck look... boy, old Joe(and his various ghosts)
              was full of ****...

Comment

HOLD THE PRESSES! ... new KW podcast is up at www.athleticstrengthandpower.com (dated May 20, 2015)...
                ... following "technical difficulties" (and a minor fist fight ) this podcast covers topics like "resourcefulness and
                training" "coaching responsibility" and the up-coming "FOOTBALL STRENGTH CLINIC #5"(June 26th and 27th)...
                also covered is the topic of "heat adaptation and performance at Football Strength Clinic #1" where it was
                so hot that three speakers passed out and Kim Wood's shoes melted!

Comment

Listening now... Love it... As a Pats fan, I agree w/ Kim.. Brady's a legend, not a cheater. NFL is really turning me off these days.
                  ------
                  Dave

Comment

the clinic is turning out to be a biggie(always is)... for one of the presentations we're bringing in
                    training equipment that is "unusual"(I have a couple houses full of the stuff)... in that batch is a recently
                    restored(new shoulder straps) Peary Rader Magic Circle... we use it mainly for "Rader Chest Pulls" and
                    for "shoulder shrugging"... perhaps the best "shrugging" tool ever(fries the traps)

Comment

Kim, your lineup of speakers sounds great. Attendees from the basketball world is a sign the message is out there, though chronic traumatic encephalopathy certainly isn't a stranger to other sports. It has been cited in deaths of recent hockey players, who were primary role players/designated fighters. That alone would speak to the importance of neck work, which has been understood by boxing trainers for many years.

Comment

actually, hockey, basketball and boxing ARE represented well at the clinic... Dave Guidugli will be there(he's currently
                        working for Buddy LaRosa in Cincinnati...and handles Buddy's amateur boxing team... Buddy was the driving force behind
                        the great champion Aaron Pryor and many other pro boxers from Cincinnati... Dave also has coached many pro-footballers
                        and has coached NBA players with his buddy, Dave Cowens(also from the Cincinnati area))... Ray "Rock" Oliver the
                        University of Kentucky basketball strength coach usually stops by also... Serious physical training and concussion awareness
                        is becoming a very real part of training athletes for ALL sports...
                        Last edited by Kim Wood; 05-24-2015, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Another great podcast! I wish I could be there. So much great stuff will be covered!
                          Train hard, eat well, rest sufficiently and repeat. Sounds simple? It is!

Comment

Another Kim podcast...

http://www.athleticstrengthandpower....-kim-wood.html

Legend (a real one) in the strength field...
                            ------
                            Dave

Comment

It was fun to hear Kim's comments about not wanting to play Denver in Denver so close after the Patriots got beat there, but well after the Bengals got beat there. It was almost prophetic...

Comment

Another Kim Wood Podcast:

http://www.athleticstrengthandpower..../04/index.html
                                ------
                                Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X