Gold nail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold nail

I was wondering if John Brookfield was sent one by Randall, and if John could bend it? That would be great to see.

Robert -

No we didn't send John one and even though he's pretty much retired from bending, I know he still does that long coil from time to time.

Incidentally, we added the Gold Nails to our online store the other day, so anyone who wants to give it a try can get one. Who knows if there's maybe someone out there that we don't know about.

King Kong, huh?

Comment

Anything new on a nail between the Red and the Gold?

Comment

Chris -

Yeah - we'd like to know who's been eating all the steel lately: Did some of you guys switch from bending to biting?

Seriously, our first two choices should have been slam dunks, but they went nowhere because we couldn't get the steel we wanted and I haven't dogged this for the last couple of weeks. I should get back on the trail, though, because the Gold Nail is a real bruiser and it might be a while before we see a human bend one.

Off topic, I know, but did you see that article in Climbing about 5.9s?
        Last edited by Randall Strossen; 06-16-2011, 03:14 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Randall - my wife got riffed this year and money is tighter than before. So we had to chose between reading about climbing and going climbing - guess which won (trip is in Sept)? So no I missed the article - anything good in it?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Rice View Post
            Randall - my wife got riffed this year and money is tighter than before. So we had to chose between reading about climbing and going climbing - guess which won (trip is in Sept)? So no I missed the article - anything good in it?
            Chris -

Shows how smart your wife is - I only have the magazine because I got it for free, but go to your library and read that article if you have a couple of minutes. One of the routes is in Eldorado Canyon and another is on Devil's Tower, just where you're headed, right?

Comment

I have been both places before and done a few of the Classic 5.9 routes at each. I'll have to check it out and see which ones they like and if I've done them.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post
                Robert -No we didn't send John one and even though he's pretty much retired from bending, I know he still does that long coil from time to time. Incidentally, we added the Gold Nails to our online store the other day, so anyone who wants to give it a try can get one. Who knows if there's maybe someone out there that we don't know about.King Kong, huh?
                Retired, huh? I didn't know that. It makes me sad to hear that- I guess you can only do this for so long.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post
                  Chris -Yeah - we'd like to know who's been eating all the steel lately: Did some of you guys switch from bending to biting?Seriously, our first two choices should have been slam dunks, but they went nowhere because we couldn't get the steel we wanted and I haven't dogged this for the last couple of weeks. I should get back on the trail, though, because the Gold Nail is a real bruiser and it might be a while before we see a human bend one.Off topic, I know, but did you see that article in Climbing about 5.9s?
                  I saw Paul Knight bend one!

Comment

I am fairly sure paul knight does have a video of a gold nail bend on youtube. He uses a double overhand technique, and i'm not sure if he quite manages to bend it the right distance in the right amount of time, it was fairly close in both respects. Also impressive is the use of technique, as many would have been fairly sure getting the leverage would be too hard in that position.

edit found it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tix1idSIls0

Comment

Among all those who bend in the open, Paul is the #1 contender for the Gold nail. Here he does it in double wraps, which does make it easier. Paul himself has said that he has some way to go before he can do it in Ironmind pads.
                      Personally I will apply for the Gold cert sometime in the 2030's. If my progress is good, I should be ready then

Comment

Paul Knight bent one with double wraps and in one minute 30 seconds - Ironmind rules require a bend time of under 1 minute.

Maybe an exception could be made for this truly brutal piece of stock?

(I'm not denouncing Paul's bend in any way. The force required to bend it would be immense, and I'm sure that double wraps are necessary to avoid damage. The bend time is also incredible, considering the strength required to bend it).

Comment

Just for amusement, I bought some Gold nails. What an intimidating beast that thing is. I can't imagine bending one of those things.

On the other hand it makes a great unwrapped ISO bar. Very confortable in the hand. 1 will be probably last me a lifetime so I not sure what I'll do with the other five.

I noticed that the suggestion thhat Pat P made about the ends should be filed was taken to heart, no sharp edges on these.

Comment

Even though the Gold nail looks tough, it's tougher than it looks, if you can believe that.
                            I've bent many different pieces of 3/8x8 CRS, but the Gold has kicked my butt since I first got it. Mike Krahling calibrated it to 560 lbs at 8 3/8". Which means that it should calibrate at or around 800 lbs at 7". The red nail is usually at around 420 lbs at 7".
                            The extra length of the Gold nail will off course make it a little easier, but it is still not that far away from being twice as hard as the red nail

Comment

Originally posted by David Wigren View Post
                              Even though the Gold nail looks tough, it's tougher than it looks, if you can believe that.
                              I've bent many different pieces of 3/8x8 CRS, but the Gold has kicked my butt since I first got it. Mike Krahling calibrated it to 560 lbs at 8 3/8". Which means that it should calibrate at or around 800 lbs at 7". The red nail is usually at around 420 lbs at 7".
                              The extra length of the Gold nail will off course make it a little easier, but it is still not that far away from being twice as hard as the red nail

Comment

Hi David, I am still wrapping my head around the red nail. It still feels impossible to me. I am making progress though. I got a kink in a hard 60 penny nail the other day. By comparison I can kink a blue to 90 degrees now when I am fresh. I don't know what the 60d would measure in at, but it is much harder than the blue. Luckily I bought a bunch of them. Oh yeah, I am doing all double underhand bends right now.

Comment

Good analogy with the blue house. I sometimes get so caught up in this stuff that assume that everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about. I think this is the main reason why I'm so horrible at coaching beginners, I tend to be much better at coaching experienced people.
                                  It is of course cold rolled steel I'm talking about when I say CRS. Allthough you'll often find the CRS label at your typical Fastenals or steelworks shop. I'm not 100% sure off what type of cold rolled steel is typically used in the, but I think it is 1018, which refers to the amount of carbon in it. I'm not sure though. Since I'm more into braced bending I have accumulated more knowledge about HRS (hot rolled steel). When it comes to unbraced bending I just tend to use stainless, bolts and C45E axel steel that I get from a steel shop locally. I use that for training, and when I want to bend more knowledgeable stuff I use Ironmind stock, FBBC (fatbastardbarbellco) stock, and stuff I get from Mike Krahling.

I think we've inherited the incorrect use of the word calibration. It is of course a rating system where we let a weight hang from the middle of the bar. The bar is secured 0.75" from the ends. And the amount of weight it takes to move it to 30 degrees will be the bars "weight" or difficulty.

Comment

Originally posted by David Wigren View Post
                                    Good analogy with the blue house. I sometimes get so caught up in this stuff that assume that everyone knows exactly what I'm talking about. I think this is the main reason why I'm so horrible at coaching beginners, I tend to be much better at coaching experienced people.
                                    It is of course cold rolled steel I'm talking about when I say CRS. Allthough you'll often find the CRS label at your typical Fastenals or steelworks shop. I'm not 100% sure off what type of cold rolled steel is typically used in the, but I think it is 1018, which refers to the amount of carbon in it. I'm not sure though. Since I'm more into braced bending I have accumulated more knowledge about HRS (hot rolled steel). When it comes to unbraced bending I just tend to use stainless, bolts and C45E axel steel that I get from a steel shop locally. I use that for training, and when I want to bend more knowledgeable stuff I use Ironmind stock, FBBC (fatbastardbarbellco) stock, and stuff I get from Mike Krahling.

I think we've inherited the incorrect use of the word calibration. It is of course a rating system where we let a weight hang from the middle of the bar. The bar is secured 0.75" from the ends. And the amount of weight it takes to move it to 30 degrees will be the bars "weight" or difficulty.

Comment

Wiggy is already leading the way in bending! First by being the best all-around bender in the world, and second by being so open and helpful to aspiring benders.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sharkey View Post
                                        Wiggy is already leading the way in bending! First by being the best all-around bender in the world, and second by being so open and helpful to aspiring benders.
                                        Nice compliments!

Comment

Working...
                                        X