Revising my post of Real nail bending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revising my post of Real nail bending

So I found some stock around the shop since I have been way too busy to make it to the hardware store. I think it is thicker the nails but anyway, after messing with it and failing miserably, I think my first post here should have been more like..... I have lifted weights for years but have never tried bending. I have some of the ironmind grippers and have been working with them with a bit more regularity. But, I need help. I am fascinated with grip strength of all kinds but have no idea where to start. Would anyone be so kind as to set me on the right path?

You can start off by learning the different types of grip strength: crushing. Pinching. Supporting strength. You have the grippers, you want to test how your body works with these: you might make good progress with a gripper you can get 10 reps with... Or you may do better with singles with a gripper you can- just- close; I believe it's best to have a gripper you can close, instead of trying to close that little bit over and over. The 10 rep-rule will be a good guide for you to be able to close the next gripper up for your singles. You will have to learn the right volume for you, as we all had to. Pinch is straightforward: put the plates together with the smooth sides out and use some chalk. Thick bar training will be straightforward too. Bending: I'm not very experienced with it... When I started, I had the Bag of Nails from Iron mind. They had pads and some easy stock to start with. I worked up to the blue nail pretty quick.... I would use, I believe, what they would call the reverse bend. Where you would grab the nail with your left hand knuckles down, then grab with the right knuckles up. So you brace with that left, and bend down with the right. I think that might be a good technique for you to start with. My mistake was... That I didn't know how to wrap the nail...I would just put the nail in there, and bunch the pads up on the spots where it was digging in. You will do a lot better rolling the nail up on each end with the pad, and getting it tight without too much slack. Putting it all together is a knack: you can't bend and beat your hands up, and then do grippers the next day... Maybe someday you can, just don't do it yet. But you have been working out a long time, so it will come to you easily. And then you'll be training and gaining. Just try to do some form of grip I mentioned, 2 to 3 times a week. Mix 'em up by your priorities. And work some extensor muscles on off days... The muscles that open your hand. Rubber bands you can get from Iron Mind are a great set. Those reps you would want to keep higher-15 to 50. That's all I could think of right now... Good luck!

Comment

I second a recommendation about rubber bands. Pinching is great to develop your thumb. Some like more about static pinch like a plate pinch Robert described and others like my self prefer dynamic pinching, like Titans telegram key or thumbscrews on grippers.

With bending i am quite novice but wrap nails tight, start easy and if you are unsure of technique, shoot a video and post it on gripboard. There are people who can help.

Comment

Thanks guys. Do you tend to back off on other training when training for bending? I assume a lot of guys here train with relatively abbreviated routines, mostly looking for strength over looks. Is a basic routine the norm when focusing on bending?

Comment

I recently started to focus bending more and give my grippers little rest. Other than that, i dont really change my routine much. Although some people would not call my training a routine since it changes constantly but idea is to do good whole body workouts with emphasis on strength.

Methods differ from gym training to calisthenics to stone lifting and so on..... but idea stands.

Comment

Is a 6" IronMind yellow nail the same as a blue nail? I figure it's the exact same thing. And is a blue really equal to a medium-hard 60 Penny Nail? If someone bends a 6" yellow, then they basically bent a 60?

Comment

Originally posted by RobertNejedly View Post
              Is a 6" IronMind yellow nail the same as a blue nail? I figure it's the exact same thing. And is a blue really equal to a medium-hard 60 Penny Nail? If someone bends a 6" yellow, then they basically bent a 60?
              My answer to all your questions is yes. Though i have not tried any actual 60d:s so i just trust ironminds product description on that.

Comment

60D Nails vary all over the place. From easier than a Blue Nail to harder than most Gr8 Bolts. Your best bet for a stable progression is to buy 0-1 Drill Rod in letter sizes from toolanddie.com and cut it to 7" lengths. Don't waste your time with 6" stock and for the first year of bending, only work in IMP's. This is the key to success. Start with some H,I,J,K & L size rods.

Comment

Thanks for the tip Mike. Is there a minimum order or would I be able to order one of each of a few sizes? What would you suggest starting with for a new bender?

Comment

They will ship you just a few bars. If you have bent a Yellow Nail, start with the H,I,J,K & L. The H & I will go quickly. There is more training advice on the GB. Post a video there and ask for feedback. You will get it.

Comment

Working...
                    X