• Show
Clear All

• Crushed-To-Dust Challenge

The 2012 IronMind catalog is in the mail:

http://www.ironmind.com/ironmind/ope...n_Its_Way.html[email protected]

I like this. Sounds fun.

Comment

@ Randall Strossen

Just realized a huge arm wrestling competition going on by my job tomorrow in NYC (34th Empire State Golden Arm Tournament Of Champions).
      Your also a sponsor.... Is the Crushed-To-Dust Challenge going to take place there? Because if it is, I'll definitely try to take a couple hours off of work to give it a try!
      sigpic

Comment

I think the 45 on the Hub is pretty much an equal feat as a Number 2 close. However, guys who have never touched a hub before may not agree.

On the Rolling Thunder, is that "in plates", or total weight? 200 on the RT is tougher than either of those other two feats, and 207 thins the herd even more.

It does sound fun.

Comment

Sound great. I am hoping to be working in some form at the Bodypower event next May and would be up for running this through the day if the people I'm working with are keen.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post
            It has to be at a contest? Could we do it individually with a RT, Hub and #2 and a judge with video? I have been seriously thinking about getting a RT and some other grip equipment and this would be a fun challenge to do. 200lbs sounds brutal but thats why its a challenge right?

-Jordan
            Psalms 18:34 He (God) trains my hands for battle, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Comment

Nice challenge.
              'Hub style pinch gripper', does that mean any hub type device can be used?
              The RT would definitely be the hardest one for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Lipinski View Post
                I like this. Sounds fun.

Bob -

Good deal - thanks much.

Hope this might be nice way for the grip veterans like you to introduce new people to the challenge and fun of grip strength: our idea was to set a respectable but achievable standard for this challenge and then recognize all who could meet it.

Comment

Originally posted by Euclides D. McQuade View Post
                  @ Randall Strossen

Just realized a huge arm wrestling competition going on by my job tomorrow in NYC (34th Empire State Golden Arm Tournament Of Champions).
                  Your also a sponsor.... Is the Crushed-To-Dust Challenge going to take place there? Because if it is, I'll definitely try to take a couple hours off of work to give it a try!

Euclides -

I hadn't mentioned this to Gene yet (my post here was the first public mention), so we won't be running the Crushed-to-Dust! Challenge there, but maybe this is something we could do in the future - maybe if I'd thought further ahead we could have pulled this off.

Can you imagine if you'd been the first guy to do this? We'd be walking around with a huge grin and you'd probably be able to run for mayor of New York after that!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Corlett View Post
                    I think the 45 on the Hub is pretty much an equal feat as a Number 2 close. However, guys who have never touched a hub before may not agree.

On the Rolling Thunder, is that "in plates", or total weight? 200 on the RT is tougher than either of those other two feats, and 207 thins the herd even more.

It does sound fun.

Mike -

Total weight on everything - plates + loading pin + carabiner, analogous to counting the bar + collars on things like power cleans, snatches and squats.

If there is a strong feeling that the 200 lb./90 kg on the Rolling Thunder is a little too high, we could consider nudging it down, but it seemed about right to us, especially since for everyone, one/two or these feats will be easier than the other(s) so there will never be absolute, universal parity across the three events.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Gardener View Post
                      Sound great. I am hoping to be working in some form at the Bodypower event next May and would be up for running this through the day if the people I'm working with are keen.

Steve -

That would be brilliant and with you there, you could dazzle people periodically by casually closing a CoC No. 3 or hauling up 120 kg on the Rolling Thunder, for example.

People hitting the level of the Crush-To-Dust! Challenge will have a greater appreciation for what you guys in the upper strata can do, while also be rightfully pride in what they have achieved themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan Rechsteiner View Post
                        It has to be at a contest? Could we do it individually with a RT, Hub and #2 and a judge with video? I have been seriously thinking about getting a RT and some other grip equipment and this would be a fun challenge to do. 200lbs sounds brutal but thats why its a challenge right?

-Jordan

Jordan -

Thanks a million for asking about this, because we'd love to open this up on video if we could figure out a way to keep it legitimate and that's one of the things I thought we could all kick around: Maybe someone here has some ideas?

For example, I have a way to make sure the Rolling Thunder is legitimate, but how do we keep the CoC No. 2 and the Hub from being tampered with?

IronMind would really like to hear from anyone who has some thoughts about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Wood View Post
                          Nice challenge.
                          'Hub style pinch gripper', does that mean any hub type device can be used?
                          The RT would definitely be the hardest one for me.

Comment

Randall - my grip contest is Dec 10th - I could easily have this in conjunction with it - after the contest for those interested.

Comment

This is really cool. I haven't used my RT in a while and this gives me a reason to make 200 a goal. My hands are trashed from yesterdays workout but once I recover, I want to test to see where I am at on the hub and RT.

Comment

I don't know but maybe the RT number is high compared to the other two.
                                If a #4 roughly represents a world record then a #2 is 53% of the world record.
                                If 88 pounds is about the world record on the hub then 45 pounds is 51%.
                                300 pounds is about the world record on the RT, but 200 is 67% of that.

Seems out of place to me. But maybe there is a reason why the average guys performance would skew toward the high end on the RT. I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post
                                  Jordan -

Thanks a million for asking about this, because we'd love to open this up on video if we could figure out a way to keep it legitimate and that's one of the things I thought we could all kick around: Maybe someone here has some ideas?

For example, I have a way to make sure the Rolling Thunder is legitimate, but how do we keep the CoC No. 2 and the Hub from being tampered with?

IronMind would really like to hear from anyone who has some thoughts about this.
                                  Simple: The equipment must be inspected by the judge for disqualifying items: Tacky, or some other adhesive (like the CoC certification) weighing the hub and the RT to make sure they are the correct weight and not altered. The judge could additonally inspect the weights/weigh them.

-Jordan
                                  Psalms 18:34 He (God) trains my hands for battle, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Comment

New Rolling Thunder handle or old? There is a big difference. People get confused too when they see the Mark Felix world record of 300lb. and do not realize that it was on an older RT handle. I bet Felix would have pulled 20lb.+ less on the same day with the new handle. There should be a new world record spot for the new handle.

Comment

I look forward to it after Gripmas. Intrigued to see the adjustments made to the Hub.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Jacobs View Post
                                        New Rolling Thunder handle or old? There is a big difference. People get confused too when they see the Mark Felix world record of 300lb. and do not realize that it was on an older RT handle. I bet Felix would have pulled 20lb.+ less on the same day with the new handle. There should be a new world record spot for the new handle.
                                        Agreed, but I feel that if the Viking Grip Challenge and Rolling Thunder is contested again at the LA FitExpo in Jan. 2012, I think the 300# number will fall on a new handle.

Comment

Working...
                                        X