Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GOPD: Gripper Obsession Personality Disorder

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • In the interest of full disclosure, I was not able to CCS (or with ANY SET) close one particular #3. Jason Payne's "Heartbreaker." RGC at 190lbs+. Slick steel handles. 3.25" spread. It's always the #3 I think about when guys tell me (this happens OFTEN on forums, by e-mail, PM, Facebook messenger, etc.) that they are going to wait until they can CCS "ANY #3" before they go for their cert with IronMind. I tell them (usually) that it's admirable. But that they might as well buy a new #3.5 and once they can CCS that one, they will still probably not be able to CCS close the one that Jason owns.
    http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Ben Edwards View Post

      I was surprised that you got 2 points, too. I probably mentioned that I got a point years ago from "zcor" for something I thought was pretty small and inconsequential. Other times he would PM me and cry about my signature containing my training blog's address. Which he thought seemed "commercial" somehow. Even though I never once got a penny from recommending anything on my blog. Got suspended (and had guys "voting" to lifetime ban me) years back when I was shopping around for an easy #3. Which was of course to help me get closer to closing my own #3. Then other people's #3s. I used to delight in contacting a few of the more "outspoken" guys who were clamoring to ban me every few months to let them know how many more #3s that I had added to my "closed" list. It was funny to me. Not so funny to them, lol! In their defense though, the first dozen or so #3s that I shut could've been "easy"...but it became more apparent to them that as the list went over 50 and then past 100...the #3s were not all going to be "easy."

      I was (as I've mentioned before) an "RGC operator" for a few years. That's how I had access to a lot of #3s. There is a very well known GB guy (who voted to ban me) who actually forgot (apparently?) that he voted to ban me. I think he forgot, because he sent me over 20 grippers to RGC rate. 7 of them were #3s. I sent him a video (not joking!) of me either no set or CCS closing every single one of them...but I'm getting ahead of myself. I think there was only one that I couldn't (at the time) TNS close. That took a little sting out of my "look what I can do" video, lol. When I sent his grippers back, I "reminded" him of why I thought it was hilarious that he sent his grippers to me. Yeah, that sparked his memory, lol. Then I gave him the rundown of his #3 RGC stats. I remember the lowest was 147lbs and the highest was 163lbs. Pretty stout on the high end. And that was the one that I was only able to CCS. But it also might've just been a case of if I had rested longer I would've been able to TNS that one, too. Because in the 2-minute video I shot, 6 of those #3s were TNS closed righty. Then I attempted the 163lb #3 and missed it by maybe 1/16". Still in the 2-minute video, I CCS closed every single one of his #3s in order from hardest to easiest. Which was deceptive, because if I had done it the other way around, I might not have been able to do it.

      I still don't have any fondness for him, and never will. But I did respect him for admitting to me that out of those 7 #3s...he was able to CCS only one. The easiest. Which technically, I don't consider an "easy #3." Since it RGC rated 147lbs. It's easier than the supposed average of 150lbs. But not by enough that I think it is dishonorable if that's the one he happened to get to cert on. The one I certified on was 146lbs. This is about the point where in our e-mail correspondence that I let him know what a [email protected]*% he was several years earlier to me for trying to get me banned for something that was a misunderstanding. The guys on the GB apparently thought I wanted to certify on the easy #3 that I was asking around to purchase. He lamely "challenged" me to CCS his hardest #3. Then I gave him the link to the video of me taking all his #3s to the grip dance. And that was pretty satisfying. I sent his grippers back to him and he agreed to think hard before the next time he decided to try to get someone banned from the Gripboard for a misunderstanding.

      Getting stronger (over time) than those who try to get you banned is a great feeling. Kept me going. I should start a topic over there on the GB and thank them publicly, by name.
      I still have them points, Ben. How long do they last...any idea?

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Joe Kinney View Post


        This is not entirely correct, David. In 1999, I still had all the sore spots that I had gained.

        When I met up with Heath Sexton, some years later (2003), I still didn't feel like going all out on any heavy grippers, but was more willing to play with grippers. The hands were much better, but my wrists were still prone to re-injury. This is just part of being Human. As I remember, a CoC #3 felt really easy to me that day. Heath and his Lady-friend were a pleasure to meet and visit with.

        It should be noted that these were visits, and I treated them as visits. These guys weren't charged admission. Nor were they promised a performance.

        Great point about admission not being charged and no performance being promised! Didn't Heath give you a filed #3 and you almost closed it with no apparent effort? I like Heath (from the GB), but I don't understand why he would give you a filed #3 (vs. a standard #3) since it's not like you were warmed up or even "psyched up" for a performance out in a parking lot.
        http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post
          I guess the thing that really bothers me is that so much of this malicious gossip has been traced back to Richard, and the irony is that by having done these things, rather than burnishing his image as he'd hoped, he's tarnished his reputation in a big way—spinning silly tale after tale, switching stories as they get debunked in turn, and looking nothing like a grip king in the process. This is a shame and a represents a loss to the grip community.

          Back on Brian Harvey for a minute, I remember when he and I talked after he visited Joe Kinney, Brian told me that he (Brian) liked to serve up a crushing handshake and when he shook hands with Joe and turned up the horsepower, "He (Joe) gave as good as he got."
          This - 'serving up a crushing handshake' - is something a high school kid does. I bet this sounded weird to you too when you first heard it. I think most of us that feel like we're the possessor of a strong grip are careful about not coming across as a stupid bully when we do things that are normally a way to show respect - like shake hands. Guys that try to put a ton of pressure on my hand when shaking it are a pet peeve of mine. I am very good at matching pressure evenly, weak or strong. So that there is not a pressure "leak" during the handshake. That way my hand is not vulnerable to getting hurt, and whoever I'm shaking hands with is not in danger of me crushing their hand to dust either.
          http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Robert artmont View Post
            Randall-

            While Richard feels that Joe getting his gripper stolen is BIG reason for doubt....

            What made Joe mention that the gripper had been stolen, to Harder?

            Did Harder ask to see it? What is the story of the book that Harder had wrote; did he replace Joe with Richard?

            Did Richard have Harder write to Joe and use that info for this quest?
            You know, there are still a few guys that find it suspicious that his gripper was stolen. My response to that is: A lot of us 'grip guys' have had grippers 'walk away' permanently...either by 'friends' or acquaintances or just generally crappy people. Is it weirder to have a Trainer stolen (or a Heavy Grips 200, which has happened to TWO of my friends) or a #4?

            Also, like Joe mentioned somewhere in this massive GOPD thread, it means that HE CLOSED NOT ONE, BUT TWO #4s!


            http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

            Comment


            • I lost something like 30 grippers back in 2011.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Ben Edwards View Post

                Very interesting to hear about Cleve Dean (and Rick Vardell) closing the Silver Crush #2! I am not surprised he had the strength to do it. I'm pretty familiar with who he was and I have seen a life-size copy of his giant hand. I am surprised that he was able to close any gripper in that giant hand of his. I figured he had the kind of hand size that would make it literally impossible to close a gripper unless it was really strangely positioned in his hand and then closed mainly by fingertip pressure.

                I'm also pretty impressed about your Petaluma adventures. That's a big deal!

                The slick handles would undoubtedly give me a harder time than a nice chalked handle. But like you mentioned, I'm pretty strong on slick or chalked handles. Or was pretty strong at one point.

                Appreciate your offer to stop by and try one of your Silver Crush grippers if I ever get out that way! I'll take you up on it if/when I do. I've heard the same thing about being miserly with the reps on the Silver Crush grippers. Which is why I'd be pretty reluctant to close anyone's SC...on the off chance that my squeeze would be the "one that broke the camel's back." Then I'd feel awful about it breaking.

                I wasn't teasing you about your age, by the way. A forum reader told me that I sounded "kind of like a [email protected]#K" with the way I worded it, lol. I told him I don't think you read it that way, and I definitely didn't mean it that way. I know that age has less of a negative impact on grip strength too. I work with two bull strong guys in their low-60s who can both demolish (TNS) the #2 at will. They don't train it. Both say it tends to give them tendonitis. Or makes that flare up. But I know that regardless of the dozen years passing since I started working with them - they are the few guys that I don't ever want to good-naturedly grab me and give me a shake. They are both the epitome of what I think of when I hear the term "old man strength."
                Ben -

                Absolutely not offended by that question because I'm seeing that even if you were a [email protected] when you were young, getting older teaches you a little humility. When I was 40, I thought "What's the big deal about squatting (honest squat, that is) 400 lb. when you're 70? I'll do that for 10 reps."

                Well, let me tell you, at a mere 64, if I tried to do an honest squat with 400 lb., I would go right through the floor with it and maybe when I'm 70, something like 200 lb. might feel like a ton.
                Last edited by Randall Strossen; 12-14-2015, 11:50 AM. Reason: typo

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Ben Edwards View Post

                  I wish you still carried the Iron Man grippers! I kick myself for never buying one when I used to see them occasionally on Ebay. How long ago did you sell those? You could make a mint selling those again if you had a reserve built up.

                  I wish I had someone (a secretary or whatnot) that would call you and order grippers for me, haha. I guffawed about what you said about the "mythical flooring contractor!" I know what you mean. Have heard similar absurd tall tales over the years. I'd be embarrassed though if I heard my secretary was calling you and telling you that I was the "only guy" who could close those grippers. Unless I wasn't giving the grippers to anyone else to try. Then I guess it would technically be accurate.

                  Ben -

                  The details are in the Captains of Crush Grippers book, but when IronMind reintroduced the original Iron Man grippers, we carried them for less than a year before we introduced the Silver Crush grippers—those original Iron Man grippers (and the earliest IronMind grippers) had a lot of character.

                  No kidding about the secretary—I sure didn't have one then (or a janitor, deliver guy, etc.) but I think that secretary was the person who Richard said witnessed him close the Phantom 4, wasn't it?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post


                    Ben -

                    The details are in the Captains of Crush Grippers book, but when IronMind reintroduced the original Iron Man grippers, we carried them for less than a year before we introduced the Silver Crush grippers—those original Iron Man grippers (and the earliest IronMind grippers) had a lot of character.

                    No kidding about the secretary—I sure didn't have one then (or a janitor, deliver guy, etc.) but I think that secretary was the person who Richard said witnessed him close the Phantom 4, wasn't it?
                    Ben -

                    I said that about the character of those early grippers because I thought the whole PDA thing (fueled by Richard), denigrating those grippers, missed the mark—to me, it would be like saying the Inver Stone was inferior to a perfectly cast sphere of concrete.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Robert artmont View Post

                      I still have them points, Ben. How long do they last...any idea?
                      Forever is my guess. I have one from 2007 that still shows up on my profile.
                      http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Ben Edwards View Post

                        Great point about admission not being charged and no performance being promised! Didn't Heath give you a filed #3 and you almost closed it with no apparent effort? I like Heath (from the GB), but I don't understand why he would give you a filed #3 (vs. a standard #3) since it's not like you were warmed up or even "psyched up" for a performance out in a parking lot.

                        Ben,

                        The feeling I got from meeting with Heath is that he's a good guy - a guy who wanted to visit, and have a try at his #4 with me watching. Nothing wrong with this. He certainly didn't seem to be on some kind of Myth-busters mission, and I appreciated that. We had a great time loitering behind Toy R Us (or whatever that place is called). This is the kind of guy I would go deer hunting with.

                        Anyway; not meaning to speak (or write) for Heath, I think he knew he was standing there with a guy who could close a #3 easily. He never made any attempt to "test" me on a gripper. Watching me play with this filed gripper is something Heath wrote about on 'another forum'. There, he describes what my playing equates to on his other #3 grippers.

                        Like I wrote; we visited. Neither of us were there to pick the other guy apart.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Ben Edwards View Post
                          You know, there are still a few guys that find it suspicious that his gripper was stolen. My response to that is: A lot of us 'grip guys' have had grippers 'walk away' permanently...either by 'friends' or acquaintances or just generally crappy people. Is it weirder to have a Trainer stolen (or a Heavy Grips 200, which has happened to TWO of my friends) or a #4?

                          Also, like Joe mentioned somewhere in this massive GOPD thread, it means that HE CLOSED NOT ONE, BUT TWO #4s!



                          Ben,

                          There are two other #4 grippers that have fallen victim, as well. A couple of grip guys who know me, challenged me to close their #4 grippers, and I did. Neither of these guys are weaklings - far from it. These were single stamped CoC #4 grippers from that era. So, all in all, I've close four different #4 grippers. Of course, this was long ago - before I became an old man.

                          Another thing; I sure hope the guy who took my first #4 gripper from my truck has managed to hurt himself with it.
                          Last edited by Joe Kinney; 12-18-2015, 08:47 PM. Reason: Missing word. [email protected]%# it!!!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Ben Edwards View Post
                            You know, there are still a few guys that find it suspicious that his gripper was stolen. My response to that is: A lot of us 'grip guys' have had grippers 'walk away' permanently...either by 'friends' or acquaintances or just generally crappy people. Is it weirder to have a Trainer stolen (or a Heavy Grips 200, which has happened to TWO of my friends) or a #4?

                            Also, like Joe mentioned somewhere in this massive GOPD thread, it means that HE CLOSED NOT ONE, BUT TWO #4s!

                            Ben -

                            Ask Richard where the No. 3 is that he certified on?

                            Also, is there a chain of custody and permanent possession requirement for the gripper someone certified on? How about those guys who were passing around the "easy No. 3" so they could certify (before IronMind plugged that loophole) . . . maybe they do a timeshare in terms of possession of said gripper?

                            As far as I know, Dale got sucked into all that anti Joe Kinney, IronMind and me (Randall Strossen) stuff because he was trying to earn brownie points with Richard—things just spiraled a little out of control from there, and it helped the grip bored coalesce by having something common to focus on.

                            Also, on Dale, let's not forget that he's the guy who really pulled the rug out from under Richard and his chief cheerleader, the serial liar Joe Musselwhite, so all of that ended on a positive note.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Ben Edwards View Post

                              I was surprised that you got 2 points, too. I probably mentioned that I got a point years ago from "zcor" for something I thought was pretty small and inconsequential. Other times he would PM me and cry about my signature containing my training blog's address. Which he thought seemed "commercial" somehow. Even though I never once got a penny from recommending anything on my blog. Got suspended (and had guys "voting" to lifetime ban me) years back when I was shopping around for an easy #3. Which was of course to help me get closer to closing my own #3. Then other people's #3s. I used to delight in contacting a few of the more "outspoken" guys who were clamoring to ban me every few months to let them know how many more #3s that I had added to my "closed" list. It was funny to me. Not so funny to them, lol! In their defense though, the first dozen or so #3s that I shut could've been "easy"...but it became more apparent to them that as the list went over 50 and then past 100...the #3s were not all going to be "easy."

                              I was (as I've mentioned before) an "RGC operator" for a few years. That's how I had access to a lot of #3s. There is a very well known GB guy (who voted to ban me) who actually forgot (apparently?) that he voted to ban me. I think he forgot, because he sent me over 20 grippers to RGC rate. 7 of them were #3s. I sent him a video (not joking!) of me either no set or CCS closing every single one of them...but I'm getting ahead of myself. I think there was only one that I couldn't (at the time) TNS close. That took a little sting out of my "look what I can do" video, lol. When I sent his grippers back, I "reminded" him of why I thought it was hilarious that he sent his grippers to me. Yeah, that sparked his memory, lol. Then I gave him the rundown of his #3 RGC stats. I remember the lowest was 147lbs and the highest was 163lbs. Pretty stout on the high end. And that was the one that I was only able to CCS. But it also might've just been a case of if I had rested longer I would've been able to TNS that one, too. Because in the 2-minute video I shot, 6 of those #3s were TNS closed righty. Then I attempted the 163lb #3 and missed it by maybe 1/16". Still in the 2-minute video, I CCS closed every single one of his #3s in order from hardest to easiest. Which was deceptive, because if I had done it the other way around, I might not have been able to do it.

                              I still don't have any fondness for him, and never will. But I did respect him for admitting to me that out of those 7 #3s...he was able to CCS only one. The easiest. Which technically, I don't consider an "easy #3." Since it RGC rated 147lbs. It's easier than the supposed average of 150lbs. But not by enough that I think it is dishonorable if that's the one he happened to get to cert on. The one I certified on was 146lbs. This is about the point where in our e-mail correspondence that I let him know what a [email protected]*% he was several years earlier to me for trying to get me banned for something that was a misunderstanding. The guys on the GB apparently thought I wanted to certify on the easy #3 that I was asking around to purchase. He lamely "challenged" me to CCS his hardest #3. Then I gave him the link to the video of me taking all his #3s to the grip dance. And that was pretty satisfying. I sent his grippers back to him and he agreed to think hard before the next time he decided to try to get someone banned from the Gripboard for a misunderstanding.

                              Getting stronger (over time) than those who try to get you banned is a great feeling. Kept me going. I should start a topic over there on the GB and thank them publicly, by name.
                              Ben, did you use a special lubricant (homemade) on those 20+ grippers? An RGC Operator always does the right thing .
                              Last edited by WesOblander; 12-15-2015, 12:32 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Joe Kinney View Post


                                Ben,

                                The feeling I got from meeting with Heath is that he's a good guy - a guy who wanted to visit, and have a try at his #4 with me watching. Nothing wrong with this. He certainly didn't seem to be on some kind of Myth-busters mission, and I appreciated that. We had a great time loitering behind Toy R Us (or whatever that place is called). This is the kind of guy I would go deer hunting with.

                                Anyway; not meaning to speak (or write) for Heath, I think he knew he was standing there with a guy who could close a #3 easily. He never made any attempt to "test" me on a gripper. Watching me play with this filed gripper is something Heath wrote about on 'another forum'. There, he describes what my playing equates to on his other #3 grippers.

                                Like I wrote; we visited. Neither of us were there to pick the other guy apart.
                                I had always respected Heath for his comments. He obviously enjoyed the visit and had mentioned that more than once on that other forum. I respect him for that. as his story didn't change when others chimed in to denigrate you to no end.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by Joe Kinney View Post

                                  ..Of course, this was long ago - before I became an old man.
                                  If I may ask...how old are you Joe?

                                  Also...how old do you think a person can keep making grip gains?

                                  I suppose someone in a nursing home could start training grip and improve...but I guess I mean something else.

                                  Is there a ceiling where one becomes too old to achieve their maximum grip strength?

                                  Thanks.
                                  The most difficult and most productive part of grip training...the time between workouts. -me

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Nathaniel Brous View Post

                                    If I may ask...how old are you Joe?

                                    Also...how old do you think a person can keep making grip gains?

                                    I suppose someone in a nursing home could start training grip and improve...but I guess I mean something else.

                                    Is there a ceiling where one becomes too old to achieve their maximum grip strength?

                                    Thanks.
                                    Nat,

                                    Thanks for the questions. I'm 58 years old. There – that was the easy one. Your other questions are much tougher to answer.

                                    Questions regarding the age at which a person can keep making grip gains are tough. I'm sure you're aware of the tremendous range of variations among grip guys. Odd Haugen is a perfect example of a man who seems to defy what most consider to be the norm in regards to making grip strength gains at an advanced age. You may know men who are younger than Mr. Haugen, but who are feeble (by comparison) despite suffering from no apparent physical disability.

                                    Your question as to whether a 'ceiling' exists at which one becomes too old to achieve maximum grip strength, is another question where I will defer to Mr. Haugen. I fully expect Odd to be stronger on the Inch dumbbell next year. Meanwhile, my own grip strength seems to have peaked long ago. We're all so different, that I cannot give concise answers for these questions. Sorry about that.

                                    Best of luck in your training, Nat.

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Joe Kinney View Post

                                      Nat,

                                      Thanks for the questions. I'm 58 years old. There – that was the easy one. Your other questions are much tougher to answer.

                                      Questions regarding the age at which a person can keep making grip gains are tough. I'm sure you're aware of the tremendous range of variations among grip guys. Odd Haugen is a perfect example of a man who seems to defy what most consider to be the norm in regards to making grip strength gains at an advanced age. You may know men who are younger than Mr. Haugen, but who are feeble (by comparison) despite suffering from no apparent physical disability.

                                      Your question as to whether a 'ceiling' exists at which one becomes too old to achieve maximum grip strength, is another question where I will defer to Mr. Haugen. I fully expect Odd to be stronger on the Inch dumbbell next year. Meanwhile, my own grip strength seems to have peaked long ago. We're all so different, that I cannot give concise answers for these questions. Sorry about that.

                                      Best of luck in your training, Nat.
                                      Just 58 Joe? You're still young. I bet you could still shut a #3 without much trouble.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by Joe Kinney View Post

                                        Nat,

                                        Thanks for the questions. I'm 58 years old. There – that was the easy one. Your other questions are much tougher to answer.

                                        Questions regarding the age at which a person can keep making grip gains are tough. I'm sure you're aware of the tremendous range of variations among grip guys. Odd Haugen is a perfect example of a man who seems to defy what most consider to be the norm in regards to making grip strength gains at an advanced age. You may know men who are younger than Mr. Haugen, but who are feeble (by comparison) despite suffering from no apparent physical disability.

                                        Your question as to whether a 'ceiling' exists at which one becomes too old to achieve maximum grip strength, is another question where I will defer to Mr. Haugen. I fully expect Odd to be stronger on the Inch dumbbell next year. Meanwhile, my own grip strength seems to have peaked long ago. We're all so different, that I cannot give concise answers for these questions. Sorry about that.

                                        Best of luck in your training, Nat.

                                        Thanks. At 43yo, I instinctively feel as though I have a good number of years left. Should be interesting.
                                        The most difficult and most productive part of grip training...the time between workouts. -me

                                        Comment


                                        • These past two years I've managed, if not by winning, to get two world records both times I competed. The first at 50 and the second at 51.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X