Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Robert artmont View Post
    Randall-

I've said before I haven't any rated grippers...but if you can find a number you think can help you, then have at it.

What I do like hearing is that the numbers are all close on these ratings that are going on. 3.5's are all at or very close to 180lb. Even tho you don't think much of these numbers, I'd like to say good job!

And Sam?.... Yeah I thought he'd be an
    overweight troll... But he's skinny.

I just mentioned his pic to you because you asked last year if anyone has met him, or seen him.

I now look alot different now then back in 2008.

Comment

• Grippers do vary:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lphmqMmbOsE

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Scott View Post
        That's an older coc 3 and a newer one, correct?

I think the springs have a lot to do with it back in the day. Today, I think the only difference is the mounting of the handles: if they're not the same as another, they almost have to rate different.

Comment

Well Sam, when you cert the 3.5 I'll know for sure.

Comment

Me too—in your case, I hope it's better; not sure that I'd say that about myself, though.

Originally posted by Sam Scott View Post

Yes: most people who compare apples and oranges expect that, but when you have GOPD, I guess you find this surprising.

Here's the funny part, Sam: even though you're really into grippers, things like comparing a pre-2005 CoC No. 3 to, say, a 2012 CoC No. 3 and then observing that they are different makes sense to you and when you observe differences, you see this as some kind of revelation.

I guess if you compared a pre-2005 F-150 to a 2012 F-150, you'd be just as impressed to observe they were different.

This is not Nobel level science, Sam.

Got, GOPD? I'd say so.

Originally posted by Robert artmont View Post
            That's an older coc 3 and a newer one, correct? . . .

Robert -

Please don't confuse things with the facts and don't tell Sam that he'd be a lot smarter about grippers if he read the CoC book, for example.

Not sure whether this would help Sam certify on the CoC No. 3.5, but at least people wouldn't think he was an idiot.

Comment

• Randall-

You can't reason with spam Scott.

Comment

• Be Like Sam

Robert -

Sounds like we had a guy, without GOPD that I know of, who closed a Captains of Crush No. 3 on sight and plans now to go for his certification on both the CoC No. 3 and the CoC No. 3.5.

You know how everyone gives Sam grief because of his goofball comments? But don't you think it's true that this whole thing about having GOPD, worshipping shaky numbers and whining about grippers like a bunch of little old ladies, is something that appeals most to the people who are likely to be, well, like Sam?

I do, and that's why I said that the best way to give guys a good reason to think twice about worshipping at the alter of RGC, etc. is to remember that Sam is a huge fan of RGC (especially when he can get the RGC operator to inflate his numbers for Sam).

I'm at the European Weightlifting Championships right now and thinking back, I've yet to ever see a lifter who missed a lift come out and say the plates are off or that he missed the lift because the red on one plate was a little different than the red on another plate, etc., but a guy with GOPD would be saying all sorts of things like that instead of saying the obvious: "I guess I wasn't strong enough (yet)."

Comment

• Well, Randall I'd like to tell you you're right... Most of the time, you are.

I recently bought some grippers on here: T,1,2. So , my brother in-law can shut the no.2 I've had for a couple of years. This new one I got for him he can't ... About an 1/8" away. He doesn't even know what a RGC would mean. He asked me "why are they different?" I said its just the way it is...

So he didn't complain... He just said he'll get it.

Now would the RGC numbers be different on these two no.2's ? Probably.

You can't get it perfect, like you've always said. Just train...and "get it."
                  Last edited by Robert artmont; 04-11-2013, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert artmont View Post
                    Well, Randall I'd like to tell you you're right... Most of the time, you are.

I recently bought some grippers on here: T,1,2. So , my brother in-law can shut the no.2 I've had for a couple of years. This new one I got for him he can't ... About an 1/8" away. He doesn't even know what a RGC would mean. He asked me "why are they different?" I said its just the way it is...

So he didn't complain... He just said he'll get it.

Now would the RGC numbers be different on these two no.2's ? Probably.

You can't get it perfect, like you've always said. Just train...and "get it."

Robert -

What do you mean, most

Comment

• Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post

Robert -

What do you mean, most of the time? Look at my track record predicting that we'd see someone certify on the CoC No. 4 last year, the year before, the year before that . . .

Yes, I'd still say that grippers should be thought of as being like uncalibrated barbell plates and small differences can get magnified in the eyes of the beholder, especially when different grippers are compared under different conditions. And when you have a gripper that's right at your limit, a straw can break the camel's back.

You didn't have Sam stomp on that other No. 2 did you? Just kidding.

Good luck to your brother in law—I'll bet that he will nail that gripper!
                      Randall-

You may have been right, but someone didn't go through with it- ya never know!

And thanks for the well wish to the bro in law.

Comment

• Grip Sport Question

Does anybody know how close the Redneck Ratings are for the grippers they use in Grip Sport contests?

For example, do they go in 5-lb. jumps, like 150 lb., 155 lb. and 160 lb, or maybe they have more random sequences like, for example, a 151 and then a 154 and then a 159?

Comment

Does anybody know how close the Redneck Ratings are for the grippers they use in Grip Sport contests?

For example, do they go in 5-lb. jumps, like 150 lb., 155 lb. and 160 lb, or maybe they have more random sequences like, for example, a 151 and then a 154 and then a 159?
                          They go in whatever is available at the contest. No standards. What is there is what is there. I will give a report after the contest tomorrow.

Comment

• Took some time off but I'm back now.
                            I will not attempt certification until I'm confident that I can prevail and even be able to rep the #3 in this fashion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JyhsBaxOvE
                            Last edited by Danny Dino; 04-20-2013, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny Dino View Post
                              Took some time off but I'm back now.
                              I will not attempt certification until I'm confident that I can prevail and even be able to rep the #3 in this fashion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsGnf_xmoCQ

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Corlett View Post
                                They go in whatever is available at the contest. No standards. What is there is what is there. I will give a report after the contest tomorrow.
                                Okay, I was in a contest in Concord California, on April 20, 2013, a Grip Sport-sanctioned contest I might add, and counted the number of grippers. I counted 33. Of those, around 15 of them were tougher than IronMind Number 3s. The easiest one was a Guide, the next was a Sport, and then on upwards through the IM Number 4. Each had a tag on it that gave the RGC rating on it. At least half of them were IronMind products, but there were Tetting (Beef Builders, Mash Monster Replicas, etc) grippers, GNC grippers, Gillingham grippers, etc.

For my first attempt, I selected a 145 lb. IM Number 3. Felt like a brick, and I barely closed it. As a matter of fact, I thought Daniel was generous in saying it was closed. For my next gripper, I selected a Beef Builder Grand Master, 150 lbs. I grabbed that one over the IM Number 3 also rated at 150 lbs, because I knew it would be easier than the IronMind gripper. I closed it with less than 100% effort. Next, I grabbed a MM1 Replica, rated at 160. Less than 1/8th of an inch away. I went down to an IronMind Number 3 for my last attempt, rated 153 plus, and was a bit more than 1/8th of an inch from closing it. My "set", using a 20mm block, was pretty much a 40mm set.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny Dino View Post
                                  Took some time off but I'm back now.

Nice work, Danny.

I like that you're using the reps to build up your crush.

A way I found helpful in building up the last bit is to have your hand up, palm facing you; almost as if you're watching the bottom of the handles close. This will make any gripper harder... And will really help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Corlett View Post
                                    Okay, I was in a contest in Concord California, on April 20, 2013, a Grip Sport-sanctioned contest I might add, and counted the number of grippers. I counted 33. Of those, around 15 of them were tougher than IronMind Number 3s. The easiest one was a Guide, the next was a Sport, and then on upwards through the IM Number 4. Each had a tag on it that gave the RGC rating on it. At least half of them were IronMind products, but there were Tetting (Beef Builders, Mash Monster Replicas, etc) grippers, GNC grippers, Gillingham grippers, etc.

For my first attempt, I selected a 145 lb. IM Number 3. Felt like a brick, and I barely closed it. As a matter of fact, I thought Daniel was generous in saying it was closed. For my next gripper, I selected a Beef Builder Grand Master, 150 lbs. I grabbed that one over the IM Number 3 also rated at 150 lbs, because I knew it would be easier than the IronMind gripper. I closed it with less than 100% effort. Next, I grabbed a MM1 Replica, rated at 160. Less than 1/8th of an inch away. I went down to an IronMind Number 3 for my last attempt, rated 153 plus, and was a bit more than 1/8th of an inch from closing it. My "set", using a 20mm block, was pretty much a 40mm set.

Mike -

Thanks much and I know some guys are expecting a wisecrack about who RGC'd the RGC operators, but I was leading up to a question about how well performances matched RGC numbers, especially if the gaps weren't too big. I was wondering whether a guy could sometimes close a 158 but miss a certain 151, etc. for example?

In the same vein, how did you know that about the BBGM RGC 150 would feel easier than a COC No. 3 RGC 150, please? Aren't they supposed to feel the same? Isn't that what being an RGC 150 is all about?

Suppose we were talking lifting weights and you could do a certain lift with 150 and let's say you pegged it at about a 97% effort. That would mean that your max was about 155. Returning to the grippers, after making an RGC 150 at, let's say, 97% effort, you missed an RGC 160 by about 1/8" and also an RGC 153 by about 1/8". So, does that mean RGC 160 = RGC 153? And projecting from the RGC 150, shouldn't you have walked through the RGC 153?

Are RGCs usually this fuzzy?

Comment

Mike -

In the same vein, how did you know that about the BBGM RGC 150 would feel easier than a COC No. 3 RGC 150, please? Aren't they supposed to feel the same? Isn't that what being an RGC 150 is all about?
                                      While in general RGC is helpful (for training or contests), it is most helpful when comparing apples to apples.

The grippers only "feel the same" to the weights that are hung from them.

Gripper brands tend to have their own physical characteristics and closing traits, whether that be a difficult sweep or a ramping crush.

Since you like to use weights as examples...

You can take a number of blobs that weigh nearly the same, appear very similar, yet are very different in difficulty.

When I lifted my first "Blob", Jedd Johnson humorously said to me, "Yeah, but that's the easiest one I have."

While he was teasing, it didn't make him less correct.
                                      The most difficult and most productive part of grip training...the time between workouts. -me

Comment

• And BB's are a little more narrower than COC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nathaniel Brous View Post
                                          While in general RGC is helpful (for training or contests), it is most helpful when comparing apples to apples.

The grippers only "feel the same" to the weights that are hung from them.

Gripper brands tend to have their own physical characteristics and closing traits, whether that be a difficult sweep or a ramping crush.

Since you like to use weights as examples...

You can take a number of blobs that weigh nearly the same, appear very similar, yet are very different in difficulty.

When I lifted my first "Blob", Jedd Johnson humorously said to me, "Yeah, but that's the easiest one I have."

While he was teasing, it didn't make him less correct.

Comment

Working...
                                          X