• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Click image for larger version

Name:	captainofcrush2013.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	48024

For those, not in the know...I was (albeit briefly) a Certified Captain of Crush.

Randall, I've taken a short sabbatical from grippers. I was aggravating a pinky injury over an over again, so shifted full focus to the Gold.

I'm still so far away that it's almost criminal to mention myself and the Gold in the same sentence, but that won't be forever.

Reading this...I realize I should probably bring my left hand up to speed...or train Righty...ala Magnus style.
    The most difficult and most productive part of grip training...the time between workouts. -me

Comment

• Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post
      Danny -

Good to have you back—was wondering where you had been.

Did you plan the layoff or did it just kind of happen? I'm curious about how much strength you lost and how fast it's coming back.

That video was nice, but I'd say that when you double or triple a Captains of Crush No. 3 the way you handle this CoC 2.5, you'll be more than ready to get certified:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsGnf_xmoCQ

Best of luck—I'm thinking you have this in you, so it's just a matter of being smart and not quitting

Thanks for the kind words.

I had planned to take some time off but never actually got to it because the gripper addiction had me picking them up at every chance I got.
      Then I got really busy for a while and just didn't have any time to play with them so I just decided to take off longer.
      It was a good decision because I feel as if I'm starting fresh now.

A little strength is lost but on my very first attempt I was still closing the #2.5 with each hand comfortably.
      Took me about 3 training sessions to come back to the same level of strength as before the break.

I'm actually stronger now than before and I'm concentrating on quality more than quantity.
      Every single repetition that I perform nowadays is with a hard squeeze and hold when the handles touch!
      Left hand seems to be at its strongest ever with 5 repetitions on the #2.5 in the same fashion as that video I uploaded.

Glad you spotted that video with the wide set and I'm happy that actually meets your idea of what a good close is even though I didn't slide a credit card between the handles. I was also thinking that I will need about 2-3 of those kind of closes on the #3 before I'm ready for certification.
      The #2.5 is starting to feel easier as my training progresses.

Any gripper between the #2.5 and #3?
      Would IronMind ever make a #2.75 just for those who are approaching that stage where the #3 is staring right at them but it still feels like a tough gripper?
      But then I'm the guy who wouldn't go back in time now and take a #1.75 even though I had a tough time going from $1.5 to #2 and personally don't feel there is any need for G, S, 0.5 either because I've reached where I am today with only the following: T, #1, #1.5, #2, and #2.5. Once I hit 15-20 on the #2.5 I will probably not worry about a #2.75 :;hy)
      I know the grip guys from before 2006 used to jump from #2 to #3 but I find the gaps between #1.5 - #2 and #2.5 - #3 to be harder than #1 - #1.5 and #2 - #2.5. Anyone also feel this way or is it just me?

Comment

In the same vein, how did you know that about the BBGM RGC 150 would feel easier than a COC No. 3 RGC 150, please? Aren't they supposed to feel the same?
        Randy, after all of this time, you still doubt the Professional Judgment that veterans of grippers and those with GOPD possess? And those veterans are supposed to boil this judgment, developed over years of observations, down to a sentence or two? No, "we" are not going to explain how we know this. We are not going to reveal our "secrets" of how we can instantaneously, in the heat of battle, make the tough choices that lead to Grip Greatness. Would someone ask Joe Montana exactly how he could do what he did? I think not.

This is why those with GOPD make the big bucks while others struggle away trying to meet the daily demands of doing business or having a job that pays a salary.

Comment

• RGCs Vary

Originally posted by Mike Corlett View Post
          Randy, after all of this time, you still doubt the Professional Judgment that veterans of grippers and those with GOPD possess? And those veterans are supposed to boil this judgment, developed over years of observations, down to a sentence or two? No, "we" are not going to explain how we know this. We are not going to reveal our "secrets" of how we can instantaneously, in the heat of battle, make the tough choices that lead to Grip Greatness. Would someone ask Joe Montana exactly how he could do what he did? I think not.

This is why those with GOPD make the big bucks while others struggle away trying to meet the daily demands of doing business or having a job that pays a salary.

Mike -

Yes and the truth is that I was simply re-confirming that RGC 150 doesn't necessarily equal RGC 150, for all who hadn't already figured this out.

So, to put a small twist on a favorite GOPD battle cry: RGCs vary.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Corlett View Post
            Okay, I was in a contest in Concord California, on April 20, 2013, a Grip Sport-sanctioned contest I might add, and counted the number of grippers. I counted 33. Of those, around 15 of them were tougher than IronMind Number 3s. The easiest one was a Guide, the next was a Sport, and then on upwards through the IM Number 4. Each had a tag on it that gave the RGC rating on it. At least half of them were IronMind products, but there were Tetting (Beef Builders, Mash Monster Replicas, etc) grippers, GNC grippers, Gillingham grippers, etc.

For my first attempt, I selected a 145 lb. IM Number 3. Felt like a brick, and I barely closed it. As a matter of fact, I thought Daniel was generous in saying it was closed. For my next gripper, I selected a Beef Builder Grand Master, 150 lbs. I grabbed that one over the IM Number 3 also rated at 150 lbs, because I knew it would be easier than the IronMind gripper. I closed it with less than 100% effort. Next, I grabbed a MM1 Replica, rated at 160. Less than 1/8th of an inch away. I went down to an IronMind Number 3 for my last attempt, rated 153 plus, and was a bit more than 1/8th of an inch from closing it. My "set", using a 20mm block, was pretty much a 40mm set.
            Mike, was the average set about among participants about 20mm? Nice job on some obviously tough grippers...

Comment

• Originally posted by WesOblander View Post
              Mike, was the average set about among participants about 20mm? Nice job on some obviously tough grippers...
              The block was 20mm one side and probably 40 mm the other. Most of the participants passed the skinny side through the handles pretty easily. Technically, I imagine most was say 25 mm...

Comment

• Easy RGC 150, Hard RGC 150

Originally posted by WesOblander View Post

Mike -

Wes's post made me realize that I'd gotten sidetracked by the easy RGC 150 and the hard RGC 150, just like the GOPD guys, because what Wes said is most important: "Nice job on some obviously tough grippers."

Just curious if there were any estimated Captains of Crush No. 3 and beyond closes using the Corlett Constant?

Comment

Mike -

Wes's post made me realize that I'd gotten sidetracked by the easy RGC 150 and the hard RGC 150, just like the GOPD guys, because what Wes said is most important: "Nice job on some obviously tough grippers."

Just curious if there were any estimated Captains of Crush No. 3 and beyond closes using the Corlett Constant?
                  Okay, let me leave out RGC Speak, just for your benefit. Of course, I could go bilingual, and write in both languages, and of course you would understand it when written in both languages. However, in the Patriotic Spirit of a true IronMind Moderator, I will simply write in what should be the dominant language on this forum.

Stephen Ruby, a 23 year old from Fresno California, easily closed a 3.5 IronMind Gripper under the contest rules.

Even applying a larger than average Corlett Constant factor, I would bet money he is ready for Certification on the Number 3 now.

Comment

Okay, let me leave out RGC Speak, just for your benefit. Of course, I could go bilingual, and write in both languages, and of course you would understand it when written in both languages. However, in the Patriotic Spirit of a true IronMind Moderator, I will simply write in what should be the dominant language on this forum.

Stephen Ruby, a 23 year old from Fresno California, easily closed a 3.5 IronMind Gripper under the contest rules.

Even applying a larger than average Corlett Constant factor, I would bet money he is ready for Certification on the Number 3 now.

Comment

• I would say the RGC was average. Some of the Calibrations were made by a seasoned and experienced RGC Operator. His signature tag was attached to a number of the grippers.

I don't remember if the 3.5 closed in the contest was 175 or 176 (it was one of those numbers).

He failed on a 185, was close. Don't know what gripper it was, because I was in my own zone.

If you ask a question, I will give an answer...

His sister closed an IM Number 1. She is 20 years old and has been doing grip for one month. She pulled more on the Rolling Thunder than one of the male competitors...high 90s I think.

Speaking of "Corlett Constants", I feel it is very easy to judge how a woman does on the Rolling Thunder. Double whatever they do, and that is their equivalent pull for a man. So, 100lbs by a gal equals 200 lbs for a guy. A guy pulls 190 and a gal pulls 100, I say the gal won...

Comment

• Mutant RGC 153

I would say the RGC was average. Some of the Calibrations were made by a seasoned and experienced RGC Operator. His signature tag was attached to a number of the grippers.

I don't remember if the 3.5 closed in the contest was 175 or 176 (it was one of those numbers).

He failed on a 185, was close. Don't know what gripper it was, because I was in my own zone.

If you ask a question, I will give an answer...

His sister closed an IM Number 1. She is 20 years old and has been doing grip for one month. She pulled more on the Rolling Thunder than one of the male competitors...high 90s I think.

Speaking of "Corlett Constants", I feel it is very easy to judge how a woman does on the Rolling Thunder. Double whatever they do, and that is their equivalent pull for a man. So, 100lbs by a gal equals 200 lbs for a guy. A guy pulls 190 and a gal pulls 100, I say the gal won...

Comment

• Okay, not kidding around here, no joking, very serious:

1. Not a lot of posting in this section because not very many see the humor in it.
                          2. Many of the RGC numbers I saw were rounded to the nearest pound. The poking fun of the hundreths of the pound may have had an impact as to how these things are labeled now.
                          3. Most veteran competitors understand that in most "other" brands, the handle spread is going to be less than that of an IronMind gripper. In a competition, if two grippers were rated the same, the tendency would be to grab the non-IronMind gripper, as it would be more likely to be easier than the IronMind gripper.
                          4. Somewhere along the way, most veteran grip enthusiasts discovered that a gripper with a wider handle spread may not have a higher RGC rating than a gripper with handles with less spread on them, and even if the numbers on the RGC are equal, the wider spread gripper will be tougher to close.

I don't think there is much more to it than that.

Years ago, guys were on a kick about "spring size", as if that were the be all and end all to difficulty in grippers. It went way too far. That happened with RGC. However, it is now viewed with a grain of salt, and it is here to stay. It is imperfect at best, but like uncalibrated plates, it is something.

Comment

• The width should be noted with the RGC number. If two grippers rate the same at a contest, the wider spread should give a point more than the other. Because we all know its a tougher close.

Now, if that complicates things, then one brand should be used. Even tho, a lot of theses contests get donations...and they get what they get.

Just seems like we're no closer to what the goal is.

Comment

• RGC 150, HG 150

Okay, not kidding around here, no joking, very serious:

1. Not a lot of posting in this section because not very many see the humor in it.
                              2. Many of the RGC numbers I saw were rounded to the nearest pound. The poking fun of the hundreths of the pound may have had an impact as to how these things are labeled now.
                              3. Most veteran competitors understand that in most "other" brands, the handle spread is going to be less than that of an IronMind gripper. In a competition, if two grippers were rated the same, the tendency would be to grab the non-IronMind gripper, as it would be more likely to be easier than the IronMind gripper.
                              4. Somewhere along the way, most veteran grip enthusiasts discovered that a gripper with a wider handle spread may not have a higher RGC rating than a gripper with handles with less spread on them, and even if the numbers on the RGC are equal, the wider spread gripper will be tougher to close.

I don't think there is much more to it than that.

Years ago, guys were on a kick about "spring size", as if that were the be all and end all to difficulty in grippers. It went way too far. That happened with RGC. However, it is now viewed with a grain of salt, and it is here to stay. It is imperfect at best, but like uncalibrated plates, it is something.
                              Last edited by Randall Strossen; 04-25-2013, 03:21 PM. Reason: case messed up in titleit's thinking (incorrectly) for me :( but have gotten it fixed now :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert artmont View Post
                                The width should be noted with the RGC number. If two grippers rate the same at a contest, the wider spread should give a point more than the other. Because we all know its a tougher close.

Now, if that complicates things, then one brand should be used. Even tho, a lot of theses contests get donations...and they get what they get.

Just seems like we're no closer to what the goal is.

Comment

• It took 4 weeks to hit 50 pages of posts on this record-breaking thread.

It took 2 months after that to hit the next 50 pages of posts on this thread.

It took 5 months after that to hit the next 50 pages of posts on this thread.

It's been more than 5 months, but the "next 50 pages" has not yet been hit.

The snow seems to be melting on the thread. Sure, there are a loyal few keeping it alive (for better or for worse), but the number of actual participants is in decline. At this point, I doubt that there will be many minds changed.

But, the other day, seeing RGC numbers on tags with no decimal points, well, that is a good thing.

Comment

It took 4 weeks to hit 50 pages of posts on this record-breaking thread.

It took 2 months after that to hit the next 50 pages of posts on this thread.

It took 5 months after that to hit the next 50 pages of posts on this thread.

It's been more than 5 months, but the "next 50 pages" has not yet been hit.

The snow seems to be melting on the thread. Sure, there are a loyal few keeping it alive (for better or for worse), but the number of actual participants is in decline. At this point, I doubt that there will be many minds changed.

But, the other day, seeing RGC numbers on tags with no decimal points, well, that is a good thing.

Comment

• fascinating discourse on grippers...but I've kinda got a problem...
                                      most of the time while reading the posts I have no clue what
                                      you guys are talking about! Why don't you provide a "glossary"
                                      every 10 or 15 pages with definitions of the things you are
                                      talking about( stuff like "RGC") and other jargon...I like grippers
                                      but feel very excluded from the discussion(and I'm thinking that I'm not the only one...)...thanks

Comment

• Wow, I'm glad you said something about a glossary or something, Kim. I am clueless what most of this talk is all about. Silly as it sounds, I thought you picked up a gripper and squeezed it, and if you couldn't close it you had to get stronger, just like lifting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doug Carroll View Post
                                          Wow, I'm glad you said something about a glossary or something, Kim. I am clueless what most of this talk is all about. Silly as it sounds, I thought you picked up a gripper and squeezed it, and if you couldn't close it you had to get stronger, just like lifting.

Doug -

Are you just going to be rational?

Comment

Working...
                                          X