Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rolling Thunder Sets/Reps

Hi All -

Over the past 2 years I've made a lot of progress on the CoC grippers and the hub. But the RT has been a sticking point for me. I've been doing sets of 5 and now I can do more 5s than before but only with the same weight. Bumping up only 10# feels incredibly heavy. Any suggestions?

- Walt

I've never gave it enough training to help you... Hopefully, laine will chime in for you. He's the man!

Comment

What other kinds of strength training do you do?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert artmont View Post
        I've never gave it enough training to help you... Hopefully, laine will chime in for you. He's the man!
        Yep Laine shared advice on RT training with me just recently via PM, I would share the PM itself but I think that would be in bad taste. I can however share the advice Laine gave me in regards on how to approach my rolling thunder training as I understood it from his message.

Take your Max lift in the Rolling Thunder, lets say that it is an even 200lbs for easy math sake. You take 65% to 75% of that Max, 130 or 150lbs (depending on what percentage you choose) and you train 3x a week, that is three workouts per week, of high repetition sets to really work the muscles as Mr. Snook put it.

Laine suggested I go about 3x10 with each hand, and after my Rolling Thunder training, to use the Titans Telegraph Key for a similar rep scheme. He said that the most important part of the Rolling Thunder is the Thumb and from my own experience, not cocking the wrist at all and having the hand directly over the bar helps in the lift as there is not much need for the implement to roll at all.

He suggested I try this for a few weeks and try a new one rep max, then repeat for 6 weeks with the percentages of my new 1rm if it raises.

Again I may not have fully understood the last bit on when to test your one rep max or how often to add weight but that was the basic premise of his message. High reps, often, don't cock your wrist, work the muscles involved, and focus on the thumb. Training like this I can see giving legitimate numbers.

Another idea I had was following the Korte 3x3 powerlifting protocol using a projected max and working percentages off of that for a two month training cycle. I may try this in the future, but for now I am taking Laines advice, since, you know... dude is a beast.
        Strength is a marathon, not a sprint.

Comment

Poundage etc.

Originally posted by Walt Gasiorowski View Post
          Hi All -

Over the past 2 years I've made a lot of progress on the CoC grippers and the hub. But the RT has been a sticking point for me. I've been doing sets of 5 and now I can do more 5s than before but only with the same weight. Bumping up only 10# feels incredibly heavy. Any suggestions?

- Walt

Hi Walt,

Could you tell me what sort of poundages you are using etc, and how often you train with the Rolling Thunder? Also, are you doing any specific thumb exercises to increase your strength in that area?

Jonathan wrote to me asking a very similar question recently, and I replied with what he has written on the thread - use a poundage @65-75% of your max for high reps 2-3 times a week for the next 6 weeks, hen have 3-4 days off and see what you single looks like - you may have to do 2 or 3 sessions of singles to get your best poundage.

I haven't trained Rolling Thunder for a long time, I found high reps with a lower weight really worked my "muscles" - well the things that are slightly less wobbly than the fat I am covered in - and I found that this reproduced the feeling of heavy weight in the last few reps, but had less of an injury risk due to the reduced weight.

I worked my thumb with a Titan's Telegraph Key at the end of the workout - somewhere between 8 and 16.5lbs for sets of 5-8 if memory serves.

Please let me know how you get on.

Good luck,

Laine
          Last edited by Laine Snook; 07-02-2012, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Hi Mr.Snook thank you for all your advices.
            If i train with 75% of my current max for 3 sets of 10 reps , 3 times a week,should i increase the weight every week for something like 2.5kg???

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Steiner View Post
              Hi Mr.Snook thank you for all your advices.
              If i train with 75% of my current max for 3 sets of 10 reps , 3 times a week,should i increase the weight every week for something like 2.5kg???
              Hi Marc,

Thank you for your interest.

I can't say what you should be looking at for an increase in weight - you really need to see how your training "feels" and use only small increases in weight, or add reps.

I think the most important part of the training is to gain confidence in what you are doing, when you feel you have really mastered the weight that you are using for reps, you will have a good mental attitude to move the poundage up. It takes some time, but you'll be suprised how you can move up the Rolling Thunder ladder.

Please let us all know how it goes for you.

Good luck,

Laine

Comment

Thank you very much Laine,
                i will start tomorrow, i was looking for a training method for the rolling thunder for a long time because i couldnt really find the right way to train with it.
                i am pretty excited how it will be in a few weeks.ill let you know what progess i make

Comment

RT Advice

Laine -

Thank you for your kind response. Since March 2011 my CoC has gone from 3 reps with the #1.5 to 3 or 4 doubles with the #2 (no set). My hub is at 3 x 5 with 40#. Back in March 2011 my RT DL was 3 reps with 100#. I am now at 5 x 5 but still with 100#. With 110# I can only get 2 x 3.

I have found over the years (I am 49) that I get stronger with short, infrequent workouts but this hasn't proven true with the RT.

After reading some of the other replies here it sounds like I need to pick up the iron a bit more often.

Thank you,
                  - Walt

Comment

Well I followed Laines advice and after three workouts, today I decided to see what I could do just fooling around since I will be away from home for a week and my little gym here. I worked up to 130# with the Rolling Thunder and got three sets of five reps and a few lifts of 145# locked out. I wasn't even fresh because I was doing some volume closes on my Vulcan gripper and still set PRs on the RT. When I get home from my mini vacation to see some family and get to focus on my RT, I have no doubt I will make good gains with the high rep sets plan Laine suggested.

I should also note that it was maybe 15 days ago that 135# was stapled to the floor.

Comment

Laine -

Thank you for your kind response. Since March 2011 my CoC has gone from 3 reps with the #1.5 to 3 or 4 doubles with the #2 (no set). My hub is at 3 x 5 with 40#. Back in March 2011 my RT DL was 3 reps with 100#. I am now at 5 x 5 but still with 100#. With 110# I can only get 2 x 3.

I have found over the years (I am 49) that I get stronger with short, infrequent workouts but this hasn't proven true with the RT.

After reading some of the other replies here it sounds like I need to pick up the iron a bit more often.

Thank you,
                      - Walt
                      Hi Walt,

Thank you for getting back to me with your current training.

If you try the higher rep training for a while (6 weeks) and then go back and see what you get for a single. If you start out at around 75lbs and use that for a few sessions to get used to the new training program, and then start to move the weight up gently - you need to get confidence in what you are doing. I wouldn't mind betting that you will hit 10 reps with 110lbs within 2 months.

Train sensibly, and 2-3 times a week and I am sure you will see some good improvements in poundage.

Please let me (and everyone else) know how it goes for you. It will be interesting to see what results you get from the change in your training program.

Good luck,

Laine

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Umpherville View Post
                        Well I followed Laines advice and after three workouts, today I decided to see what I could do just fooling around since I will be away from home for a week and my little gym here. I worked up to 130# with the Rolling Thunder and got three sets of five reps and a few lifts of 145# locked out. I wasn't even fresh because I was doing some volume closes on my Vulcan gripper and still set PRs on the RT. When I get home from my mini vacation to see some family and get to focus on my RT, I have no doubt I will make good gains with the high rep sets plan Laine suggested.

I should also note that it was maybe 15 days ago that 135# was stapled to the floor.
                        Hi Jonathan,

I'm pleased to see that you are getting bigger numbers on the Rolling Thunder.

The biggest problem with the training program is not trying any single or heavy lifts until you have had 6 weeks with the higher reps. I think that having a higher volume but less load on the thumb trains it in a better way. You will have to really squeeze those last few reps as the poundage increases. By reading your post it is obvious that you are in a very positive frame of mind, and this is the biggest factor in moving more weight. In days of old I used to call this attitude "The express train to Winville" - cut out the negative, focus on the positive..... you get the picture I'm sure.

As with Walt, please let us know how it works out for you.

Good luck,

Laine

Comment

Thanks Laine!

Laine -

It sounds like you're the Joe Kinney of the RT! I'll certainly try your program and let you know how I do. One last question... should I pass up the grippers while working on the RT?

Thank you again,
                          - Walt

Comment

Originally posted by Laine Snook View Post
                            Hi Jonathan,

I'm pleased to see that you are getting bigger numbers on the Rolling Thunder.

The biggest problem with the training program is not trying any single or heavy lifts until you have had 6 weeks with the higher reps. I think that having a higher volume but less load on the thumb trains it in a better way. You will have to really squeeze those last few reps as the poundage increases. By reading your post it is obvious that you are in a very positive frame of mind, and this is the biggest factor in moving more weight. In days of old I used to call this attitude "The express train to Winville" - cut out the negative, focus on the positive..... you get the picture I'm sure.

As with Walt, please let us know how it works out for you.

Good luck,

Laine
                            Hi Laine

Yes I know what you are saying, with any type of training be it grip strength or general barbell lifts it is always best to train with volume, especially when you are just beginning. The only reason I tested myself with the heavier weights is because I would be away from my RT and the ability to train for at least a week (I am posting from my uncles laptop and we are about to sit down for dinner then a few holes of golf). I am positive because I know that smart programming and smart training yield positive results.

I will no doubt keep my attitude, as I don't think being negative with anything gets you anywhere in terms of strength training. If you don't believe in yourself, you will never make progress. The mind is a very powerful thing, just look at The Mighty Atom.

I am off for dinner now, thanks again for the advice, I will for sure update you on my training after my first full 6 week training cycle on the RT and how much I add to my max.

Jonathan

Comment

I'm always interested in seeing training for the Rolling Thunder. Especially when it's advice from someone like Laine. Thanks for sharing this Laine! I've seen your thoughts on training before and it never gets old. I always find that after the first rep my wrist straightens out regardless of if I want it to or not. Even if the weight is very light.

Jon, I hope you keep a training log for your RT work man! I'd read that with much interest. The "milestone" weights are what used to really drive me to get stronger on RT. Like when I did my first RT workout a long time ago my max pull was around 125lbs. So my next goal was 140lbs - the small loading pin I use with the RT handle is 4.6lbs (so essentially 5lbs) and add three 45lb plates to that for the 1st milestone goal. I'm generalizing by the way. Those that know me well know that all my plates are weighed on a digital scale and the weight is written on the plate. What I'm getting at is looking at some of the goals from the visual weight they hold as much as the mental. It's more gratifying to me (aesthetically) to lift 185lbs on the RT if that setup consists of four 45lb plates than if it was a hodgepodge of 25s and 35s and a few 10s thrown on there.
                              http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Comment

Laine -

It sounds like you're the Joe Kinney of the RT! I'll certainly try your program and let you know how I do. One last question... should I pass up the grippers while working on the RT?

Thank you again,
                                - Walt

Walt,

It looks like your gripper training is going well, so maybe put it on the back-burner whilst you are concentrating on the RT. That said, it would be good to warm up with them before your RT session - that way you'll keep the strength you have already gained.

I will look through my training logs for the time I was first doing RT and get back to you with the general program I used.

Good luck,

Laine

Comment

Thanks Again Laine

Thanks again Laine for your advice to cut back the gripper training while focusing on the RT. After watching your YouTube videos I am convinced that the RT provides a high level of systemic muscular activity. This leads me to ask what other training you do besides grip?

Jon -

I'm glad to hear of your progress using Laine's program. It sounds like you were around the same level as me a few weeks ago. You really moved up fast. I expect to join you soon! Keep up the good work.

- Walt

Comment

Thanks again Laine for your advice to cut back the gripper training while focusing on the RT. After watching your YouTube videos I am convinced that the RT provides a high level of systemic muscular activity. This leads me to ask what other training you do besides grip?

Jon -

I'm glad to hear of your progress using Laine's program. It sounds like you were around the same level as me a few weeks ago. You really moved up fast. I expect to join you soon! Keep up the good work.

- Walt
                                    Hi Walt,

I haven't trained "properly" for many years now, I am Snatching (dumbbell) on a regular basis and I am also squatting a couple of times a week - but nothing heavy. I am lucky that I can usually pick up where I left off in my training. I think that having long lay-offs from exercise does tend to make you stronger when you come back to it. As an example, I hadn't cleaned the Inch for a long, long time.... but did it without too much of a struggle after I was asked to "have a go" by my Nephew, but then again, I had done quite a few miles with Inch in the past and I'm sure that makes a difference.

As I said, I will dig out a training book from the period before had a go at the record so you can see the sort of things I was doing to make improvements in my RT.

I will post the findings later on tonight.

Good luck,

Laine

Comment

Hey Laine ,
                                      I tried your routine 2 days ago.Wow i am suprised its very hard.Much harder than doing 10 singles with a heavy weight.
                                      My forearms feel very sore.But today is the second session lets see if i will get all my reps today.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc Steiner View Post
                                        Hey Laine ,
                                        I tried your routine 2 days ago.Wow i am suprised its very hard.Much harder than doing 10 singles with a heavy weight.
                                        My forearms feel very sore.But today is the second session lets see if i will get all my reps today.
                                        Hi Marc,

It might be tough to start with - adjust your poundage down so you can get through the workout and gradually increase the weights used. I should point out that I only did 1 set at the specified % and would aim 10+ reps - I would generally carry on if things were going well, say maybe up to 20+ reps.

I didn't have chance to look through my old training log, but I will make sure I do it tonight.

Good luck,

Laine

Comment

Working...
                                        X