The typical lifespan of the "Expand Your Hand Bands"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The typical lifespan of the "Expand Your Hand Bands"

Mine are less than 2 years old and today, while using the blue pair, one of them snapped and hit me in the face. I never over-stretched them or exposed them to the elements, not even sunlight. I was quite surprised actually. Granted this was the pair that I use most frequently--~5X/week--but I certainly wasn't expecting a rupture at this point. I'm curious what the experience has been with everyone else who uses these as a staple of their training?

Expand Your Hand Bands

One of my yellow bands sustained a partial tear after about 6 months use, but it is still lasting about a year later.

Comment

I busted three of the yellow ones. I was doing pretty fast and high reps. I haven't broken any of the other colors and I've used them all.
      Last edited by Jeff Gullicksen; 12-08-2012, 06:11 PM.

Comment

After I made my extensor gloves, I don't use the bands that much any more.

Comment

Originally posted by Geremy Freeman View Post
          Mine are less than 2 years old and today, while using the blue pair, one of them snapped and hit me in the face. I never over-stretched them or exposed them to the elements, not even sunlight. I was quite surprised actually. Granted this was the pair that I use most frequently--~5X/week--but I certainly wasn't expecting a rupture at this point. I'm curious what the experience has been with everyone else who uses these as a staple of their training?

Comment

Hi Randall, no need to give replacements away from my point of view. They are rubber bands after all. Only reason I don't use them as much any more is because I wanted something that allowed me to open my hand all the way with resistence.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Gullicksen View Post
              After I made my extensor gloves, I don't use the bands that much any more.
              Tell me about your extensor gloves. I'm intrigued.

Comment

I offered Randall that he can make them and take the design. If he doesn't mind I will post a picture here. I know that I will never make them on any scale.

Randall, do you mind if I post a picture of them?

Comment

To those complaining about the durability of the bands

If you're concerned about the durability of the Expand Your Hands Bands, complete the following:

1. Place safety glasses on your face
                  2. Hold your non-dominant arm out about 1 foot from your face
                  3. Place the red band on your thumb and use your dominant hand to pull it back as far as it will go.
                  4. Release the band so that it snaps you directly in the face
                  5. Repeat the process until you stop whining about the durability of RUBBERBANDS!!!!!

Comment

When did the new improved version bands come out? how do we know if we got the improved durability versions or not, I think I purchased my bands about a month ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald Paek View Post
                      When did the new improved version bands come out? how do we know if we got the improved durability versions or not, I think I purchased my bands about a month ago.
                      Ronald -

We started to ship the new ones at the end of last week, but don't worry because we always stand behind IronMind products so if you have any premature breakage problems we encourage you to contact us.

The new Expand Your Hands Bands have more muted colors and they have a livelier, more dynamic feeling when you stretch them.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Dale View Post
                        If you're concerned about the durability of the Expand Your Hands Bands, complete the following:

3. Place the red band on your thumb and use your dominant hand to pull it back as far as it will go.
                        5. Repeat the process until you stop whining about the durability of RUBBERBANDS!!!!!
                        I think you misinterpreted the motivation behind my question. The only reason I included the detail about the band hitting me in the face was because I found it humorous and I thought others might find it humorous as well. I appreciate slapstick comedy but there are others, such as yourself, who may not. I was never complaining. I was only seeking a frame of reference to better understand the performance expectations of these bands. In great internet troll fashion, you posted what you did merely to antagonize but your attempt at humor falls flat on its face. Please ignore anything I may post in the future as your presence will not be missed.

To the site moderators: When I registered for this forum I was quite impressed with the verbage in the rules section regarding the guidelines for acceptable posting. Per those guidelines, isn't it your job to keep individuals like this out or at least clean up the messes they leave? Is this acceptable usage?

Comment

I think you misinterpreted the motivation behind my question. The only reason I included the detail about the band hitting me in the face was because I found it humorous and I thought others might find it humorous as well. I appreciate slapstick comedy but there are others, such as yourself, who may not. I was never complaining. I was only seeking a frame of reference to better understand the performance expectations of these bands. In great internet troll fashion, you posted what you did merely to antagonize but your attempt at humor falls flat on its face. Please ignore anything I may post in the future as your presence will not be missed.

To the site moderators: When I registered for this forum I was quite impressed with the verbage in the rules section regarding the guidelines for acceptable posting. Per those guidelines, isn't it your job to keep individuals like this out or at least clean up the messes they leave? Is this acceptable usage?
                          My post is directed to those concerned about the durability of "Expand Your Hands Bands", not Internet slapstick comedians. On second-thought, those wishing to understand performance expectations of RUBBERBANDS could benefit from the same therapy.

Comment

Humor is very difficult on this forum, and the large generational spread makes it tougher.

I think most everyone knew that Josh was being sarcastically funny (or trying to be).

Dr. Strossen tried really hard to keep JD out, but apparently he (RS) had some type of Provound Revelation and welcomed him (JD) with open arms. It was one of the more moving moments on this Forum to date. See what I mean about humor? Best to avoid it...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Gullicksen View Post
                              I offered Randall that he can make them and take the design. If he doesn't mind I will post a picture here. I know that I will never make them on any scale.

Randall, do you mind if I post a picture of them?

Comment

Band-Aid

My post is directed to those concerned about the durability of "Expand Your Hands Bands", not Internet slapstick comedians. On second-thought, those wishing to understand performance expectations of RUBBERBANDS could benefit from the same therapy.
                                Originally posted by Mike Corlett View Post
                                Humor is very difficult on this forum, and the large generational spread makes it tougher.

I think most everyone knew that Josh was being sarcastically funny (or trying to be).

Dr. Strossen tried really hard to keep JD out, but apparently he (RS) had some type of Provound Revelation and welcomed him (JD) with open arms. It was one of the more moving moments on this Forum to date. See what I mean about humor? Best to avoid it...

Gentlemen -

Rumor has it that The Financial Times is about to report "Expand-Your-Hand Bands are a most cost-effective way to train the extensor muscles in your hands . . . you know, not the ones that help you clutch your money . . . talk about ironic . . . To frame their value, consider that brushing your teeth, say, ~5x per week, is ever so much more expensive and if anything will make your nagging tennis elbow feel even worse . . . and if you brush your teeth under the wrong conditions or use your toothbrush without due caution, one can only imagine where it might end up."

Unlike the urban myth, RJS and TEDS were in complete agreement when it came to JAD joining the IronMind forum: "With Sam Scott and Kim Wood already on board, we've shown that we refuse to be hamstrung by what others think of certain people. JAD is welcome, and while we would hope he would share some of his trademark humor, it's not mandatory that members of the [other] IMF occasionally poke good natured fun at themselves or others, but it is wholly within the letter and spirit of this forum."

Comment

I have been gone for a couple of weeks on vacation. Here is the picture of the glove I made. I made one small mod to the glove. I wrapped tape around the strings right next to the carabiner. the strings behave much better that way.
                                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                  X