No announcement yet.

Youngest person to deadlift the Inch???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youngest person to deadlift the Inch???

Hello All,

As per title, does anyone know how young the youngest person known to have deadlifted the Inch????

I'd be really interested to know.

Thank you,

Laine

I suspect someone from Wales...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Corlett View Post
      I suspect someone from Wales...
      Hi Mike,

Wales??? Are you thinking of the Holle's (any of them!!)

Reason for asking - I have a new gym member, 18, A farmer who looks like he wrestles a Bull in his spare time - and wins, who has been grip training with me for a few weeks now.

Yesterday he stood up with the Inch.

I was nearly impressed, but didn't let him know that.

On examination, his hands are longer than mine, at over 9 inches, and he has fingers like E.T - his thumb looks like a girls :-)

I'm going to run through some other lifts with him, George, today.

Take care,

Laine

Comment

18 may well be as young as I've heard. Ditto on Wales. I was. what, 35??

Comment

Hi Laine,

That sounds like an impressive young man. I have a theory that the world's strongest man doesn't even know that he is. In other words, there are men who with training could beat us all and rise to the top of strength sports.

Like Regan Bridges, the stonelifter from New Zealand who posted ridiculous stonelifting videos on YouTube. I at first thought these were volcanic rocks that were lighter than they should be for their size. Shouldering a 500 lb column of stone? A sheep farmer? Who weighs 230 lbs? And does not lift barbells? Impossible. So Jono Macfarlane, a New Zealand strongman and Highland Games athlete went to Regan's farm. The video speaks for itself. Jono outweighed Regan by 100 lbs as well. Jono reported back, this guy is for real.

I am sure others have seen someone come out of the crowd and lift the inch, with no prior training other than their work, such as being a stone mason or a plumber.

What about the guy from Brooklyn who carried kegs of beer, one in each hand, day after day as a beer delivery man. The story goes that he trained arm wrestling and won major championships. Within a year he retired from arm wrestling never to arm wrestle again and continued his job carrying beer kegs. By the way he carried one in each hand as he was paid for the number of kegs he delivered each day so if he carried two at a time he made more money to support his family.

Laine, I would love to hear more about your young farmer protege and his progress.

Bill

Comment

How about Chris James' son? He may be 20 by now. But, he was doing impressive things for a while...

Comment

I remember a video of a 17 year old lifting it at Sorinex.

Comment

of course, I'll get heat for this from the dweebs but a few years ago a bunch of us were at the AOBS in Saddlebrook ... it was Sunday and the
                whole thing was breaking down(and loading up)... out by the pool in back I remember Strength legend Jack Walsh was just sitting
                on a deck chair and smiling(poor Jack wasn't gonna get too many more of these moments)...well, in the banquet hall the heavy
                equipment was being loaded on "bell-hop" carts and taken outside to be loaded into pick-up trucks...we were talking and
                not really paying attention and then Slim The Hammer-man's grandson (a tall skinny kid of about 14...) picked up an
                Inch Replica that was there(yes, with one hand) and loaded it on the cart... It evidently wasn't a big deal to the kid...
                and when we told Slim about it... he looked at us funny and said " what do ya want...it's only 172 pounds!" and he looked
                at us like we were stupid...

Comment

LOL. There was a time when I'd have made a big deal of the weight. Now... For some I guess it still is a big weight.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that story Kim, I never get tired of hearing stuff like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Wood View Post
                      of course, I'll get heat for this from the dweebs but a few years ago a bunch of us were at the AOBS in Saddlebrook ... it was Sunday and the
                      whole thing was breaking down(and loading up)... out by the pool in back I remember Strength legend Jack Walsh was just sitting
                      on a deck chair and smiling(poor Jack wasn't gonna get too many more of these moments)...well, in the banquet hall the heavy
                      equipment was being loaded on "bell-hop" carts and taken outside to be loaded into pick-up trucks...we were talking and
                      not really paying attention and then Slim The Hammer-man's grandson (a tall skinny kid of about 14...) picked up an
                      Inch Replica that was there(yes, with one hand) and loaded it on the cart... It evidently wasn't a big deal to the kid...
                      and when we told Slim about it... he looked at us funny and said " what do ya want...it's only 172 pounds!" and he looked
                      Wow. Impressive strength and a great story to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim Wood View Post

I will back you up on this story Kim, as I was at the AOBS that year and know that story well. I may be a dweeb, but you'll get no heat from me.
                        Train hard, eat well, rest sufficiently and repeat. Sounds simple? It is!

Comment

A 14 year old is probably the youngest I've heard, but I can believe it. Some people just seem to have "it" when it comes to thickbar. I know a 15 year old who, if he isn't close, is at least very close to being able to pull an Inch.

Comment

I believe I had heard the grandson of Slim story, and I know it was before my time attending. If it was the year that Jack Walsh was there, it is easy enough for me to ask Stan's lady Barbara what year that was. She is pretty good on those things. It was either 2002, 2003, or 2004. Stan and Barbara took Jack just one year to AOBS. If the kid has hands anything like his grandfather, that would be some advantage. Not that it really matters which year it was, but it might be nice to know.

Again, I think Chris James has a boy who is just off the chart on grip strength, and I seem to remember him being around 12 when I saw them in 2007, making him 19 or 20 now (if I am right about 2007).

I think there has been a 14 year-old Captain of Crush as well. I suspect it (Inch or C of C) could not be done any younger than that by anyone.13? I doubt it.

Comment

Jack was at the AOBS more than once... the first time I ever saw him we thought he was just some old guy
                              in a dirty t-shirt wandering in off the street... actually, few there knew who he was... in reality he probably
                              got more mainstream publicity for "strongman feats" than anybody other than maybe Paul Anderson...
                              (after the last time we saw him... he went to New Orleans to "drink" ... while there he was conked on the head
                              with a pipe by some street toughs and pretty much ended up a vegetable... I've been told while in that state of
                              being barely alive he was one of the unfortunates in that rest home that were wheeled out-side to drown in the
                              flood following that big hurricane... )

Comment

Working...
                              X