Tracking a Kid on a Dynamometer for More Than 5 Years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking a Kid on a Dynamometer for More Than 5 Years

I purchased a Baseline hydraulic dynamometer in early 2008. I think it is not adjusted 100% properly, as the numbers seem a little lower than results on a Baseline that Dale Harder had.

My daughter married a fellow who had a boy from a previous marriage, so Nathaniel is my "step-grandson". He lives 3000 miles away, so he is pretty much around our parts two times a year.

He was born in February 2002, so he is now 13 years old. He is thin, going through the beginnings of puberty, stands about 5 foot 4 now. Very active physically, primarily hockey and baseball, but whatever it is, always active.

I started measuring his grip strength on the dynamometer five and one-half years ago, and thought I would share the results. Here they are:

January, 2010 just about age 8
    14kg right hand
    January, 2011 just about age 9
    18 kg right hand
    July, 2011, age 9 1/2
    20 kg right hand
    December, 2011 almost 10
    21 kg right hand
    April, 2012, age 10
    23 kg right hand
    August, 2012, age 10 1/2
    23 kg right hand
    22 kg left hand
    January, 2013, almost 11
    22 kg right hand
    22 kg left hand
    July, 2013, age 11 1/2
    25 kg right hand
    25 kg left hand
    December, 2013, almost age 12
    28 kg right hand
    26 kg left hand
    August, 2014, 12 1/2
    32 kg right hand
    30 kg left hand
    January, 2015, almost 13
    32 kg right hand
    28 kg left hand
    July, 2015, 13 1/2
    34 kg right hand
    31 kg left hand

I would have figured the biggest jump to be from 13 to 13 1/2, as his voice had changed some during that time frame. But it seems to me the biggest jump was from age 12 to 12 1/2. Still, I believe the next 6 months will be a bigger jump than ever, as I assume his hormones will be kicking into higher gear.

This is interesting. Sounds like you're creating a Tiger Woods of grip haha.

Comment

This is pretty interesting, Mike! I don't have a Baseline dyno anymore, but I wish I did so I could begin testing my daughter.

Randall, on a side note - my daughter Josephine LOVES the Left Turn grippers! It's pretty funny. She hugged my Left Turn #2 to her chest yesterday afternoon and cooed "Close it, Daddy." Consider it closed, Tiny Overlord.
      I took a bunch of pictures because it was pretty amusing. To me at least.
      http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Hench View Post
        This is interesting. Sounds like you're creating a Tiger Woods of grip haha.
        Naah, just tracking, although his father is talking about a good grip helping with hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Corlett View Post
          Naah, just tracking, although his father is talking about a good grip helping with hockey...
          Interesting stats, Mike. I'm not surprised about the grip comment, as hockey players are known to value a strong wrist, particularly those who favor wrist and slap shots.

Comment

I purchased a Baseline hydraulic dynamometer in early 2008. I think it is not adjusted 100% properly, as the numbers seem a little lower than results on a Baseline that Dale Harder had.

My daughter married a fellow who had a boy from a previous marriage, so Nathaniel is my "step-grandson". He lives 3000 miles away, so he is pretty much around our parts two times a year.

He was born in February 2002, so he is now 13 years old. He is thin, going through the beginnings of puberty, stands about 5 foot 4 now. Very active physically, primarily hockey and baseball, but whatever it is, always active.

I started measuring his grip strength on the dynamometer five and one-half years ago, and thought I would share the results. Here they are:

January, 2010 just about age 8
            14kg right hand
            January, 2011 just about age 9
            18 kg right hand
            July, 2011, age 9 1/2
            20 kg right hand
            December, 2011 almost 10
            21 kg right hand
            April, 2012, age 10
            23 kg right hand
            August, 2012, age 10 1/2
            23 kg right hand
            22 kg left hand
            January, 2013, almost 11
            22 kg right hand
            22 kg left hand
            July, 2013, age 11 1/2
            25 kg right hand
            25 kg left hand
            December, 2013, almost age 12
            28 kg right hand
            26 kg left hand
            August, 2014, 12 1/2
            32 kg right hand
            30 kg left hand
            January, 2015, almost 13
            32 kg right hand
            28 kg left hand
            July, 2015, 13 1/2
            34 kg right hand
            31 kg left hand

I would have figured the biggest jump to be from 13 to 13 1/2, as his voice had changed some during that time frame. But it seems to me the biggest jump was from age 12 to 12 1/2. Still, I believe the next 6 months will be a bigger jump than ever, as I assume his hormones will be kicking into higher gear.
            Okay, well, I said "Still, I believe the next 6 months will be a bigger jump than ever, as I assume his hormones will be kicking into higher gear". Said that 5 months and 9 days ago.

December, 2015, almost 14
            38 kg right hand
            34 kg left hand

A 4 kg improvement on both hands. Looks like that equaled the Age 12 to 12 1/2 jump. I guess I would have expected 5 or 6. Still, that is a pace of 8kg a year, which is huge...

So, come January, will have been tracking it for 6 years.

Comment

Okay, well, I said "Still, I believe the next 6 months will be a bigger jump than ever, as I assume his hormones will be kicking into higher gear". Said that 5 months and 9 days ago.

December, 2015, almost 14
              38 kg right hand
              34 kg left hand

A 4 kg improvement on both hands. Looks like that equaled the Age 12 to 12 1/2 jump. I guess I would have expected 5 or 6. Still, that is a pace of 8kg a year, which is huge...

So, come January, will have been tracking it for 6 years.
              It has been over a year since I posted. The kid is here today, gone tomorrow (I mean that literally). He gave the gadget a few squeezes back on July 6, 2016, at age 14 1/2:

40 kg right hand
              38 kg left hand

So this afternoon, I will have him do it again. He was 5 feet 6 inches tall in July, and is 5 foot nine and one half now. Three and one half inches in 6 months! Wow.

I guess you can say is that this time, it would seem, "will be the big one". I speculate 45 kg right and 43 kg left. My son is a hard core "Elite" Power Lifter. The boy's father (my son-in-law) took the kid up to where my son lives (80 miles North of me), because a pitcher for the Toronto Blue Jays (Toronto is only 20 miles from where the kid lives) trains at the same place my son trains. And the kid wants to be a pitcher. The ball player spent about 30 minutes with him (and the kid had seen him play more than one time), so that was pretty cool. See? Power Lifters (and children) can be good for something...

Then again, I don't know anything about physiology, so perhaps grip strength does not shoot up in the same manner as something like height does.

We are at 7 years now doing this. Again, no grip training. No weight training, just an active teen into sports.

Comment

It has been over a year since I posted. The kid is here today, gone tomorrow (I mean that literally). He gave the gadget a few squeezes back on July 6, 2016, at age 14 1/2:

40 kg right hand
                38 kg left hand

So this afternoon, I will have him do it again. He was 5 feet 6 inches tall in July, and is 5 foot nine and one half now. Three and one half inches in 6 months! Wow.

I guess you can say is that this time, it would seem, "will be the big one". I speculate 45 kg right and 43 kg left. My son is a hard core "Elite" Power Lifter. The boy's father (my son-in-law) took the kid up to where my son lives (80 miles North of me), because a pitcher for the Toronto Blue Jays (Toronto is only 20 miles from where the kid lives) trains at the same place my son trains. And the kid wants to be a pitcher. The ball player spent about 30 minutes with him (and the kid had seen him play more than one time), so that was pretty cool. See? Power Lifters (and children) can be good for something...

Then again, I don't know anything about physiology, so perhaps grip strength does not shoot up in the same manner as something like height does.

We are at 7 years now doing this. Again, no grip training. No weight training, just an active teen into sports.
                On January 7, the afternoon of the above post, I measured him again.

Right Hand: 43 kg, up 3 kg in 6 months
                Left Hand: 38 kg, same as 6 months earlier

I believe the increase in the right hand is because he is actively using it more.

I said above that he wants to be a pitcher. As a hockey player, they tell me that "scouts" are looking at him. At 15 (in February)? What kind of scouts? High School? College? He is in 9th grade, which is middle school in Canada?

I think he ought to be training his grip. That would probably help/give an advantage to him.

So in the 7 years I have been tracking him, his grip strength has more than Tripled, from 14 kg to 43 kg. And I swear, he grew half an inch in two weeks. I think he was 5 foot 10 when he left. This summer? Six foot?

Comment

Working...
                X