Gripper Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gripper Question

I have seen a lot of different gripper programs on various sites. Most of them talks about a goal gripper being a gripper you are "trying" to close. I assume this to mean not being able to close it currently. I can close the COC #1 with my right but about 1/8" away on my left. I have the COC #1.5 and can't yet close it with either hand. Should I continue to use the #1 as my goal gripper until I can close it with both hands or should I use the 1.5 as my goal gripper?

I think you have to look at your two hands as two separate units. That doesn't mean you neglect one, but it doesn't mean you train the less-dominant hand the same as the other either. I would not wait for your left hand to catch up with your right. If you are like most people, the dominant hand will always be running ahead of the other one. Allow your right hand to move on, don't let Leftie hold him back.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, Mike. I appreciate your time. I will do that

Comment

Hey Mike...I followed your advice and just last night I closed both of the goal grippers for each hand!!! I know a #1 and #1.5 aren't a big deal compared to others here but I'm pretty excited. Besides, I have to close those before I can close bigger ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim O'Brien View Post
          Hey Mike...I followed your advice and just last night I closed both of the goal grippers for each hand!!! I know a #1 and #1.5 aren't a big deal compared to others here but I'm pretty excited. Besides, I have to close those before I can close bigger ones.
          They might not sound that big a deal on a strength forum, but trust me, if you passed them around, most carpenters could handle those two grippers, but not a lot of other folks. It is quite a jump from the 1.5 to the 2, but most fellows in good health can get there with training. It feels good to improve on something. I remember when I first closed the Number 1, the 1.5 was not invented yet, and I was going to stop. A secretary at my office said "oh, don't sell yourself short, keep going!". That was in 1999. I didn't think a 2 was possible for me. Now, in my 60s, I can close the 2.5 with both hands, and the 3 with my right hand on a good day with the wind at my back...

Comment

Working...
          X