Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2 Inch block hold for 10 minutes???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2 Inch block hold for 10 minutes???

    Recently, some friends and I were discussing the topic of holding a CoC gripper closed approximately 1” for ten minutes. To me, this seemed like an incredibly long time to hold even a light gripper at that point. A 2” block puts you right at the 1” closed position we were discussing. I tried some holds using a 2” block, and quit long before the ten minute mark. Has anyone else tried this?

    Those who have experience with the Silver Bullet might have gotten some really long holds for time in their training. Granted, the 2” hold being asked about here is a different dimension than that presented by the Silver Bullet challenge, but there’s still a chance some of these guys have relative info / opinions.

    Ten minutes is the mark. What’s the heaviest gripper that anyone can hold at 2” for ten minutes?
    Last edited by Joe Kinney; 07-11-2019, 04:37 PM. Reason: Old guys need large print.

  • #2
    Joe Kinney! Posting on the IM Forum! That's been a few years for practically everyone. Everyone except me.

    I am in the Slow Reader Club. You mean you are squeezing a gripper with a spread of approximately three inches onto a block that is two inches wide, so the gripper is moving roughly 1 Inch? Or do I have that backwards?

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Mike,

      Yeah, closing the gripper approximately 1". The way I was trying it was to close the gripper down to a block that measured 2", and then watch the clock.
      You don't have it backwards.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Joe Kinney View Post
        Recently, some friends and I were discussing the topic of holding a CoC gripper closed approximately 1” for ten minutes. To me, this seemed like an incredibly long time to hold even a light gripper at that point. A 2” block puts you right at the 1” closed position we were discussing. I tried some holds using a 2” block, and quit long before the ten minute mark. Has anyone else tried this?

        Those who have experience with the Silver Bullet might have gotten some really long holds for time in their training. Granted, the 2” hold being asked about here is a different dimension than that presented by the Silver Bullet challenge, but there’s still a chance some of these guys have relative info / opinions.

        Ten minutes is the mark. What’s the heaviest gripper that anyone can hold at 2” for ten minutes?
        Great to see you posting again on the forum, Joe! Your gripper block hold question is very interesting. I've never even thought of holding onto a block that long. I doubt I could do it with a Guide. But I'm definitely going to try it soon with a super easy gripper. Just not before any type of thick bar or serious gripper workout is done, lol.

        I have been wondering how you were doing for a while. And was reminded of it during the recent Gripboard posts invoking your name.
        http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks, Ben

          Glad you're interested. I've been wondering about this for a while, now, and thought it would be a good idea to get opinions from other grip guys. Personal experiences trying to get to the ten minute mark would be great. Speculation is quite welcome, too. Tell us, not only what you can do, but what you think is possible or impossible as well.


          Kinney

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Joe Kinney View Post
            Thanks, Ben

            Glad you're interested. I've been wondering about this for a while, now, and thought it would be a good idea to get opinions from other grip guys. Personal experiences trying to get to the ten minute mark would be great. Speculation is quite welcome, too. Tell us, not only what you can do, but what you think is possible or impossible as well.


            Kinney
            Well, I knew it was going to be a great challenge...but using an easy gripper (an orange handled generic gripper) I ended up stopping around 3 minutes and the pump was way more than I expected for such a light gripper. Apparently my strength endurance is so poor that I might have to work up from using a light nutcracker to a super easy torsion spring gripper.

            Before I took the challenge (for the first time), I guessed that a #2 might be doable. I still believe it would be. Not for me. But someone out there. Maybe a #2.5?

            Joe, what gripper did you try the challenge with?
            http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

            Comment


            • #7
              Okay, another important thing that comes to mind is the spread of the gripper itself. I have several narrow grippers (GNCs) that are sometimes 2.5" spread. I think it's logical that using one of those grippers would be easier (given the same RGC rating) than using a wider gripper. The generic orange gripper I used actually has a pretty wide spread.
              http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Ben Edwards View Post
                Okay, another important thing that comes to mind is the spread of the gripper itself. I have several narrow grippers (GNCs) that are sometimes 2.5" spread. I think it's logical that using one of those grippers would be easier (given the same RGC rating) than using a wider gripper. The generic orange gripper I used actually has a pretty wide spread.
                Ben,

                The gripper I tried it with was a buddy's CoC #2. It has a spread of 3" - pretty much the standard spread. That's how we came up with the 2" block idea, the question being what was stated in the first sentence of this thread. The ten minute part is what makes this a tough challenge for me.

                Thanks a bunch for giving it a try, and for posting your findings and opinion.

                Kinney

                Comment


                • #9
                  Great to see you back, Joe! I will have to try this soon.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Joe Kinney View Post

                    Ben,

                    The gripper I tried it with was a buddy's CoC #2. It has a spread of 3" - pretty much the standard spread. That's how we came up with the 2" block idea, the question being what was stated in the first sentence of this thread. The ten minute part is what makes this a tough challenge for me.

                    Thanks a bunch for giving it a try, and for posting your findings and opinion.

                    Kinney
                    That is nasty trying it with a #2! But I like your style.

                    This challenge has been pretty interesting to me just because of the long time of the hold. On that note, I borrowed a friend's foam-handled gripper a few hours ago on break and got 10 minutes with it on the 2" block. I feel like a toddler could close this gripper. Barely joking. But I was still pretty pleased to hold it 10 minutes!

                    I always knew I was more suited to very short efforts over extended-duration efforts. But the 10 minute block challenge really highlights it.

                    I know the foam on the handles made this challenge easier. The spread on it is maybe 2.5". But it's a start.

                    I hope more guys give this a try and report back!
                    Last edited by Ben Edwards; 07-18-2019, 08:53 AM.
                    http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Gave it another shot before work this morning and got 10 minutes lefty with my Left Turn Trainer! Didn't try it righty because I never want to feel that weird hand achey-breaky pain ever again.
                      http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ben Edwards View Post
                        Gave it another shot before work this morning and got 10 minutes lefty with my Left Turn Trainer! Didn't try it righty because I never want to feel that weird hand achey-breaky pain ever again.

                        Well done, Ben!!! You’re killing it. Ten minutes is no joke, even on that gripper. What was that hand telling you the rest of the day?

                        Tell me about these Left Turn grippers. Not sure I understand what’s happening here. Are the Left Turn grippers noticeably better for the left hand?

                        Thanks again for taking part in this very un-scientific survey.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Joe Kinney View Post


                          Well done, Ben!!! You’re killing it. Ten minutes is no joke, even on that gripper. What was that hand telling you the rest of the day?

                          Tell me about these Left Turn grippers. Not sure I understand what’s happening here. Are the Left Turn grippers noticeably better for the left hand?

                          Thanks again for taking part in this very un-scientific survey.
                          Thanks, Joe! That hand was telling me to never, ever again do that to it, hahaha. It felt really creaky the rest of the day. The left turn grippers have the opposite wound spring on them. It makes a very noticeable difference to me at least when closing them.
                          http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X