Trying a new gripper training routine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying a new gripper training routine

I recently started getting back into gripper training after a long hiatus where I had injuries, lost interest, had job changes, and moved to a new state. I never got below the level of a #2 aside from when I was injured.

Now that I'm all settled in the new house from my move 3 months ago I've begun training again. I reflected on my time when I begun training and made tremendous strength gains. At the time I was training daily. My thoughts were to try to recreate that in a way that would prevent injury and still allow for gains in strength and now being two weeks into a method I am happy to report consistent gains.

This is the idea:

I am trying to build a base level of strength through high frequency, moderate intensity, low volume. This brings total weekly gripper closes much higher than 1 heavy training session where it would take a week to fully recover.

Basically I am warming up with 1 rep with a 1.5, 1 rep with a #2, then 1 working set rep with a #2.5 where the 2.5 leaves a lot on the table it still feels like 80-90% 1RM. I did this daily until I felt weak enough that it would be a struggle to close that 2.5 and instead of max effort I would abort the rep and take a day or two off until I was recovered.

At 2 weeks past I am already to the point of running into 2 single closes with the 2.5 each session in order to maintain that 80-90% effort a day.

I think that by leaving some on the table each day I can recover much, much faster. The intensity is low enough to hopefully keep me out of injury as well. Using this method I am able to train grippers 5-6 days a week and make progress. Granted I am avoiding all other forms of grip training at the moment aside from some thumb pad training with the TTK.

I will try to keep this updated if any major changes occur. I am curious if anyone else has tried anything similar to this?
    ​​​

Chuck-
    i recently started something new as well. I do reset reps; I do a wide set, close the gripper, and repeat until I can’t close it. Resetting after every rep. Even tho I can close my no.3 - not from a wide set...I’ve been using a 1.5 filed ...going for 25 reps; if that’s reached, then I’ll go to the no.2 next workout- which I did and didn’t get the 25 yet. When I do I’ll go 2.5 filed.

I think it’s healthy for the hands, and no worries about injuries. Two sets twice a week is all I’m doing. Think it’ll be a good change.

Comment

I'd be interested in seeing how your progress goes Robert. Sounds like it would take a great amount of endurance to complete 25 reps into failure.

Comment

Any updates / progress reports on these training strategies?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Kinney View Post
          Any updates / progress reports on these training strategies?
          Hi Joe, yes I can bring some updates. Reviewing my training log I had about 5 weeks where I made continual progression before I needed more days off in between to recover enough to make progress. Progress continued but naturally it gradually came at a slower pace with more rest days. I had a good 3 month period before I reevaluated.

Upon review I determined my optimal rest period ino to get maximum strength for a training session for me. To my surprise 10 days was my key rest day number. Any less than 7 days rest and hard attempts decline in progress. Between 7-8 days off and I can match the previous best and between 9-10 I can make max mttempts and make progress with each session.

I don't know if I could have accurately determined this number had I not done the daily training routine. Since then I have been consistently giving myself 7-10 days rest for Max attempts and every 4 days or so doing a light gripper session for blood flow. I am now closing the 2.5 with my left hand with ease and just closed a #3, 3 days ago with my right. Granted I am still leaving some in the tank and not exhausting myself with closes after my Max attempts as I used to do in the past and I think this is keeping me from injury. Mentally it is hard to leave some in the tank at the end of a session but I have made much better progress this way and I am feeling healthy and strong.

Funny you posted about an update because I was thinking the other day about moving back again to the daily training soon to change up the routine again. I will say it can be difficult to manage daily with home life getting in the way. If I stall for 3 sessions with no progress then I am going to change it up. I'm just hoping mentally I can continue to be consistent. The current situation in the world is affecting my household job situation and could be much worse come October. Trying not to think about it because I don't want this to stop my goal of certification.

​​​

Comment

Thank you for the detailed report, Chuck. Very interesting how the long term overview gave you the answer on full recovery time. It seems as though you have a good plan in place. Well done.

Comment

Here is a video from today's session of my #3 close. Felt and heard the handles hit nice and hard. https://youtu.be/VbJfaRzq_sw

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Hench View Post
                Here is a video from today's session of my #3 close. Felt and heard the handles hit nice and hard. https://youtu.be/VbJfaRzq_sw

Well done, Chuck. There's no stopping you now.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Kinney View Post

Well done, Chuck. There's no stopping you now.
                  Thanks for the kind words of encouragement Joe. Once I'm able to get 2 or 3 single reps per session I have another harder #3 and a Tetting gripper that is around 165 lb rgc to work up to. I also will begin working on opening up that set more. It might be a year or so away but when I eventually do certify I want it to be a solid close regardless of the difficulty of the #3.

Comment

Nice close, Chuck!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Hench View Post
                      Very strong close, Chuck! Well done.
                      http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Robert artmont View Post
                        Nice close, Chuck!

thanks Robert.

Originally posted by Ben Edwards View Post

Very strong close, Chuck! Well done.
                        Thanks Ben.

Comment

Update: last two sessions I missed my 145lb #3 by about 1/8" each time so I transitioned immediately back to my daily training routine the next day. I have hit my 2.5 gripper 2 times a day every day with ease. On each 5th day I am finishing with a 3rd rep from a credit card set. Going to step up the reps by 1 rep daily for another week until I miss. My hands are getting much harder and feeling strong.

Comment

I also work my grip daily for about 6-8 month now. It works for me too. After beeing in the grip game for almost 2 decades I have tried many methods. I feel that the training with high frequency works best so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Florian Kellersmann View Post
                              I also work my grip daily for about 6-8 month now. It works for me too. After beeing in the grip game for almost 2 decades I have tried many methods. I feel that the training with high frequency works best so far.
                              I'm glad to see someone else getting results this way. Good luck with your continued training.

Comment

Working...
                              X