Strength levels of shot putters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strength levels of shot putters

I am interested in strength levels of shot putters. I am not asking who is strongest. I am also interested in reading about shot putters that were relatively weak and still able to do good results in shot put.

Below you can find two examples of shot putting strength levels.

Arsi Harju

Bench press 250 (1999)
    Back squat 300 (1996)
    Snatch 125 (1998)
    Jerk 200 (1996-2000)I don't know if this is from behind the neck or from front
    Front squat 245 (1997)

Udo Beyer

Bench press buttocks staying on bench 260
    Behind the neck Jerk 275
    Clean 210
    Jerk from chest 232,5
    Squat 375
    Snatch "Sloppy form" 157,5

Comment

Cool thread... Found this on the web some time ago:

Adam Nelson (silver in the shot put in the Olympics 2000 & 2004, 3x silver and 1x gold at world championships, PR of 73-10)

Incline press: 525 lbs
      Power snatch: 286 for 3
      Push jerk: 440x2
      Power clean: 450lbs (estimated)
      Hurdle jump: 3x48''
      Vertical jump: 39''

Source: http://www.biggerfasterstronger.com/...=407&previd=19

That guy sure is STRONG.

Oh, and I just remembered this data (found it in a German book from the 80ies):

Ralf Reichenbach (vice-European champion, 21.51 m in the shot)

Bench press: 250 kg / 550 lbs
      Incline press: 200 kg / 440 lbs
      Squat: 280 kg / 617 lbs

That sums up pretty much all I have in my archives on the topic...

Cheers!

Comment

I have trained with Adam's college coach at Dartmouth and he told me that Adam did 600 lbs for 10 reps on the back squat with deep squats. His vertical leap and standing broad jump were the keys to his throwing according to Coach Wallen. Essentially, Adam is very strong but also overall a phenomenal athlete. Strength levels vary as athletic ability varies between the throwers.

There are YouTube clips of Werner Gunther from 20 years ago. Watch his lifting, bounding and athletic ability as well as the specific throws training. That is the combination that gets results. Nothing replaces time with the implements.

Bill

Comment

Shot putt lifts

An article appeared in Strength & Health in the mid-60's featuring Randy Mattson who was the first over 70 & 71' and '68 Olympic champ which listed his best lifts as a 385# bench press and 505# squat. He was 6'6" tall and 265# at the time. I attended a lecture by the Italian throws coach of the Olymnpic champ Andressi who stated that a 500# squat was all the strength necessary for a good thrower to go over 70'. Brian Oldfield did not have big lifts but was the first man over 75' in the shot. I believe his best C&J was 350#.

Comment

I am following this thread with interest.

Seems to me that around the time of the 1988 Olympics I heard about a shot putter who was supposed to be power cleaning at least 500 lb. (227 kg). I vaguely recall that Ken Flax (the hammer thrower) might have told me that he had seen a video of the lift.

Maybe someone else remembers this and can add some details?

Comment

Hello Randall, Yes. The 1992 Olympic Shot Put Champion from the US Mike Stulce. I recently saw a video clip that someone posted on a Facebook page with Mike power cleaning over 500 lbs while training with none other than the 1996 Olympic Champion Randy Barnes.

Bill

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-5PbqB9YC8

Found this from Youtube. Does anyone know about Cantwell's other lifts? And is this bench still his PR?

Comment

A story appeared on Cantwell a few years ago in Bigger, Faster, Stronger claiming a squat of 820# and a clean of 520#. Squat seems reasonable but the clean is suspicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Crawford View Post
                    Hello Randall, Yes. The 1992 Olympic Shot Put Champion from the US Mike Stulce. I recently saw a video clip that someone posted on a Facebook page with Mike power cleaning over 500 lbs while training with none other than the 1996 Olympic Champion Randy Barnes.

Bill
                    Bill -

Thanks much - a power clean in this range is, of course, huge, by any standard.

Comment

Randall,

I know I was suspicious then Mike's former training partner verified the numbers on the NASGA board and then someone found a video. Mike is plowing through 200 kgs for reps and then on up to 230 kg. Seeing is believing.

Bill

Comment

I think once you get to a certain "range" of strength a thrower will get tapped out even at the highest levels of the event. The biggest gains still come from technique and a lot of top throwers get away with having sub-par technique due to their size and strength. I would bet there are plenty of current NFL players I'm sure who would beat our current best throwers if that is the path they went instead of football.

In general, not enough emphasis is placed on technique compared to the weight room....

Comment

im sorry if this is not relevant but the shot putting subject reminded me the other day when i saw this at my local athletic track
                          look whos name still holds the club record for the shot putt

http://www.peterborough-ac.org.uk/Senior_Men.pdf

Comment

Comment

I don't have any numbers but I have read that Capes thought that he had been much stronger during his throwing days in the seventies than he was during his strongman years - that was in a copy of Strngth Athlete. If I comes across it again I'll give a citation.

Comment

Working...
                              X