Passing of a Giant Highlander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passing of a Giant Highlander

you may or may not be aware of the passing this week of mighty Kay Cummings of Georgia, aged 63, to cancer. Kay was the founding father of the Southeast Scottish Amateur Athletic Assn, and sponsor, judge, athletic director and downright ruler of highland games in the south for many years. Often taking money out of his own pocket to fund a given games, Kay was a giant man of over 400lbs, a logger by profession, whose cabers were legendary and whose penchant for moonshine was equally memorable. Kay was one of the greatest innovators in our sport, creating the North South challenge, and also the USA-Scotland challenge games.

they don't make them like that any more.

Indeed Kent. A great man by all measures. We all should look to aspire to measuring up to Kay. A sad time for the Highland Games community for sure.

Bill

Comment

Kay was a real nice man and a pleasure to know.

Comment

Sorry to hear the news,( being a Californian)the first time I tried moonshine was with Kay, sometime in the early 1990's, It was excellent, and he told me not to worry, he didn't use bleach in his recipe.... It literally removed the tacky on my hands from the inside out. he treated me like royalty the entire time I was there. he was a brother for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Martin View Post
          Sorry to hear the news,( being a Californian)the first time I tried moonshine was with Kay, sometime in the early 1990's, It was excellent, and he told me not to worry, he didn't use bleach in his recipe.... It literally removed the tacky on my hands from the inside out. he treated me like royalty the entire time I was there. he was a brother for sure!
          I had a mouthful of coffee when I hit the part about the bleach and almost lost it.

Comment

i did my first highland games in 2006 and Kay was the director. he made me feel right at home and really encouraged me to continue. hey was a great person and will be missed by all that knew him.
            visualize it, plan it, lift it!!!

Comment

Working...
            X