Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bar Care

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bar Care

    Hello. I am looking for some ideas to help take care of my IronMind S-Cubed bar. It's still in great shape, but the sleeves are starting to roll a little less freely. I had the idea to put a dab of oil where the bar meets the collars, but am unsure of what kind to use. Any and all suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Richie Whitehead View Post
    Hello. I am looking for some ideas to help take care of my IronMind S-Cubed bar. It's still in great shape, but the sleeves are starting to roll a little less freely. I had the idea to put a dab of oil where the bar meets the collars, but am unsure of what kind to use. Any and all suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks!

    Richie -

    Glad you asked about this and I just sent [email protected] an answer to your email about this, too:

    It's always possible that some grit might have worked its way in and that would affect rotation, but otherwise, it's very unlikely that how easily the sleeves spin on an S-Cubed bar would change with normal use.


    To clean the bar and the sleeve, use the Allen wrench that came with your S-Cubed bar to remove the sleeve and then wipe off the bar, ensuring that it's clean, and then apply a light lubricant such as WD-40. We highly recommend that you use blue Locktite (tool removable) when replacing the shoulder screw or you risk it loosening up on its own as you use your S-Cubed bar.



    Comment


    • #3
      Well, it's taken me a year, six months, and thirteen days to reply back to this. What prompted me remembering? My Big Boy DB Bar just arrived in the mail. It's truly beautiful, a work of art. And it reminded me that I never got around to cleaning my bar. So, today, I went back, reread this, got some WD-40, and some threadlock, and gave my bar some overdue attention. It's now practically good as new, and the sleeves rotate with ease. So far, I have your S-Cubed Bar, your Vulcan II racks, your spotter racks, your bench, your wrist straps, and my newly arrived DB bar. What's funny about that is that several months ago, I thought of writing or phoning in to see if I could purchase just one, rather than the pair, as I primarily just wanted to do heavier DB rows. But I nixed the idea. Then, I discovered that you guys had already had the idea, too, and were now offering them singly. Too good to be true. Next, I'm going to stock up on your grippers. I might have a go at nail bending, too. Thank you Dr. Strossen: over the last several years, your company has enriched my life tremendously.

      With affection and esteem,
      Richie

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Richie Whitehead View Post
        Well, it's taken me a year, six months, and thirteen days to reply back to this. What prompted me remembering? My Big Boy DB Bar just arrived in the mail. It's truly beautiful, a work of art. And it reminded me that I never got around to cleaning my bar. So, today, I went back, reread this, got some WD-40, and some threadlock, and gave my bar some overdue attention. It's now practically good as new, and the sleeves rotate with ease. So far, I have your S-Cubed Bar, your Vulcan II racks, your spotter racks, your bench, your wrist straps, and my newly arrived DB bar. What's funny about that is that several months ago, I thought of writing or phoning in to see if I could purchase just one, rather than the pair, as I primarily just wanted to do heavier DB rows. But I nixed the idea. Then, I discovered that you guys had already had the idea, too, and were now offering them singly. Too good to be true. Next, I'm going to stock up on your grippers. I might have a go at nail bending, too. Thank you Dr. Strossen: over the last several years, your company has enriched my life tremendously.

        With affection and esteem,
        Richie
        Richie -

        No, thank you!

        Also, those Sentry Tuf Cloths are super—WD-40, Three in One Oil and even car wax all work to block moisture and prevent rust if you live in a humid place, but the nice thing about the Sentry product is that it leaves a dry finish (and it's pretty durable, too). If you buy a Sentry Tuf Cloth be sure to keep it sealed tightly in a zip lock bag and it will last and last (otherwise, the secret sauce will evaporate over time).

        Comment


        • #5
          Hi Randy, I've been trying to clean up my axle, where would I find those "Sentry" products you mentioned?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Doug Carroll View Post
            Hi Randy, I've been trying to clean up my axle, where would I find those "Sentry" products you mentioned?
            Doug -

            You can find a couple of really handy ones in the IronMind e-store . . . I can't post a direct link because that would violate our no-advertising policy but a quick search should turn them up for you.

            Also, if your bar is oxidized, clean it up first (a Scotch pad works well and go up and down the length to avoid scratching your bar) before wiping it down with the moisture blocker.

            Merry Christmas!

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks Randy, I look forward to catching up with you this year at the SJ Fit Expo. Merry Christmas Buddy.

              Comment

              Working...
              X