Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event training critique

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Event training critique

    Feel free to comment on anything that could be done to improve performance.

  • #2
    Very nice!

    In which category do you compete?
    "Action cures fear"

    Comment


    • #3
      Great video and 5 stars on the song selection.

      Beautiful technique on the DB. Absolutely textbook.

      Farmers... well, not much to say about a farmers walk, pretty hard to mess that one up!

      Stone work looked nice as well. If you read my piece on biceps injuries a few MILOs ago, you'll know I'm a stickler for stone technique. I think you are doing your biceps a favor by doing a proper pick.

      The keg is an interesting one. On a lighter weight, one that you can do for a handful of reps, the "viper" technique of going directly from the hips/squat position to overhead may be optimal for it's speed. When tackling a heavier keg, say one that is a near maximal effort, this technique may not be optimal. Ultimately it comes down to the individual. I used to take a keg almost onto to one shoulder, then straighten it up after I dipped and fired it up. That said, experimentation on how you feel strongest is probably the key here, as we all have different strengths, weaknesses, and abilities. Without being there in person to assess you and coach different methods it is hard to say if another style would be more appropriate.

      Best of luck in the show! When is it? Oh, wait, I forgot, that google thing. Darn kids and your google, rock n roll music, driving too fast, soda pop...

      Comment


      • #4

        Originally posted by igor heren View Post
        Very nice!

        In which category do you compete?
        Thanks! I'm in the Under 200 pounds division

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Paul D Mouser View Post
          Great video and 5 stars on the song selection.

          Beautiful technique on the DB. Absolutely textbook.

          Farmers... well, not much to say about a farmers walk, pretty hard to mess that one up!

          Stone work looked nice as well. If you read my piece on biceps injuries a few MILOs ago, you'll know I'm a stickler for stone technique. I think you are doing your biceps a favor by doing a proper pick.

          The keg is an interesting one. On a lighter weight, one that you can do for a handful of reps, the "viper" technique of going directly from the hips/squat position to overhead may be optimal for it's speed. When tackling a heavier keg, say one that is a near maximal effort, this technique may not be optimal. Ultimately it comes down to the individual. I used to take a keg almost onto to one shoulder, then straighten it up after I dipped and fired it up. That said, experimentation on how you feel strongest is probably the key here, as we all have different strengths, weaknesses, and abilities. Without being there in person to assess you and coach different methods it is hard to say if another style would be more appropriate.

          Best of luck in the show! When is it? Oh, wait, I forgot, that google thing. Darn kids and your google, rock n roll music, driving too fast, soda pop...
          Haha. I don't have a contest lined up right now, but I'm leaning towards Pennsylvania's Strongest Man in September. Like to get another state championship under my belt. I HATE keg! I'm not a great presser and I'm even worse at that. Thanks for the kind words sir

          Comment


          • #6
            Training from today. I don't know the events for Pennsylvania yet, so I kept it general. Overhead, deadlift, stones. I'm not wearing those shorts for stones anymore!!! I know I had it, but the bloody thing kept slipping. Grrr.
             

            Comment


            • #7
              "Not a great presser" so says the guy that just posted video of himself repping a bodyweight circus bell over head.

              Ian, there's humble, then there's crazy. That statement borders on the latter LOL

              Comment


              • #8
                Haha. I've gotten much better, but it's something I've had to work hard on. And the dumbbell was 145. I'm 205 bodyweight I usually place within top 5 in a contest pressing event.

                Comment


                • #9
                  New axle PR
                   

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ian McCrae View Post
                    Training from today. I don't know the events for Pennsylvania yet, so I kept it general. Overhead, deadlift, stones. I'm not wearing those shorts for stones anymore!!! I know I had it, but the bloody thing kept slipping. Grrr.
                    Dude you have your arms to high on the stone, they should be in the middle of the stone and not at the top. You just started training? Also training chest is very importent for atlas stones.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It appears the original video is no longer posted here, but even without reviewing I would have to disagree with Jonas here. The high arm position on the stone after getting it to the lap is key for a few reasons: 1) It allows one to pull the stone into the body with the arms and thus allows the hips, quads, and back to do the lifting versus using the biceps and front delts to get upward movement, 2) It allows a better position mechanically to "roll" the stone up the chest, 3) it puts the biceps in a safer position as the downward pull of the stone is not directly applying an "opening" pressure on the elbow joint.

                      Here is an example from our big buddy Brian Shaw:

                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgcF4NPZ3VQ

                      A lower arm position on the stone would not allow such a stone to be lifted over that bar, and an attempt to do so could have disastrous results for the lifter.

                      Comment


                      • #12

                        Originally posted by Jonas Huovila View Post

                        Dude you have your arms to high on the stone, they should be in the middle of the stone and not at the top. You just started training? Also training chest is very importent for atlas stones.
                        Having arms low on the stone would make one try and "muscle it up", a recipe for a torn bicep. Proper technique is to put the arms high, roll it up the body, and pop it with the chest. As far as training chest, I'm not a bodybuilder, and don't isolate my training. I do have a pressing day, but all overhead. I never bench. Not sure where the chest comes into play with stones. Quads, lower and upper back, hamstrings, biceps....can't think of a lot of chest involvement. I've been training for about 4 years. A relative newbie. My trainer, however, has loads of experience and is a training partner of our big buddy Brian Shaw

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Ian McCrae View Post


                          Having arms low on the stone would make one try and "muscle it up", a recipe for a torn bicep. Proper technique is to put the arms high, roll it up the body, and pop it with the chest. As far as training chest, I'm not a bodybuilder, and don't isolate my training. I do have a pressing day, but all overhead. I never bench. Not sure where the chest comes into play with stones. Quads, lower and upper back, hamstrings, biceps....can't think of a lot of chest involvement. I've been training for about 4 years. A relative newbie. My trainer, however, has loads of experience and is a training partner of our big buddy Brian Shaw
                          1. I never said low arms, i said in the middle. Why do u have to lie?
                          2. No it would no result in a torn biceps since thats not the way the biceps works, maybe you should learn a bit about anatomy.
                          3. Even if you have arms in the middle of the stone, you can still use the chest pop and roll it up the body.
                          4. A true strong man does isolation work to, to get rid of there weak points which hinders them from getting stronger in certain lifts.
                          5. The chest comes in to play to keep the stones between the arms, the chest muscles together push the arms into the stone so they create force against each side to keep the ball from dropping trough the arms. But some strong man use glue to remove this problem.
                          6. Well you are wrong, cause Hamstring almost works nothing in atlast stones.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Ian -

                            Jonas is clearly trolling here, so I will cease posting on this topic here. If you need further advice on any technique work, PM me buddy.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I agree. But I would certainly welcome Jonas to post a stone video. My highest recorded lift is 350lb stone at 210lbs bodyweight. If there's something I can do to improve, I'll gladly listen.

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Originally posted by Ian McCrae View Post
                                I agree. But I would certainly welcome Jonas to post a stone video. My highest recorded lift is 350lb stone at 210lbs bodyweight. If there's something I can do to improve, I'll gladly listen.
                                Maybe i will do it in the future, can't do it atm since the gym im working out in doesn't have Atlast Stones. Not to be mean but 350Lb Stone on BW of 210LB is very bad, i hope it atleast was without belt?

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by Jonas Huovila View Post

                                  Maybe i will do it in the future, can't do it atm since the gym im working out in doesn't have Atlast Stones. Not to be mean but 350Lb Stone on BW of 210LB is very bad, i hope it atleast was without belt?
                                  Haha. You're all talk brotha. Put up or shut up. Let's see your max overhead press. Max deadlift. Max squat. Strongman is more than stones. Stop being a ***** and show us what ya got. Until then, you ain't worth my time brotha!

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    560lb deadlift at 210lbs bodyweight

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Originally posted by Ian McCrae View Post

                                      Haha. You're all talk brotha. Put up or shut up. Let's see your max overhead press. Max deadlift. Max squat. Strongman is more than stones. Stop being a ***** and show us what ya got. Until then, you ain't worth my time brotha!
                                      Well first of all i don't own a modern phone with camera or any similar record device unless you count the webcam i got on my computer screen but that one will be hard to use to record in the gym. Secondly of all my OP is 5000Kg, Deadlift 10,000Kg, Squat 10,000Kg and in my gym it is not possible to hit these weights so i would not be able to show u my max. Max in the gym would be 470Kg if they would fix the last 25Kg plate which is needed that for that and if they fit on the bar with locks. If not it would be like 440Kg, yes i know there is more then stones, theres alot of fun stuff like the yoke, farmers walk, hercules hold, conans circle which is 1 of my favorites.

                                      Gj on the Deadlift, nice that you aren't using belt and hopefully in the future you will also skip the straps. But do you have a video from the lift that is recorded from south & west or south & east (behind you) so i can see how the back looks like. Cause it did go good speed then slowed down a bit but might have just the Gluteus Maximus which struggled with pulling you up.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Well go ahead and post a video of doing 470kg brotha. Whatever you can do in your gym. Have someone in the gym video that. I'm very excited to see it.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X