PED POLICIES IN ALL SPORTS: A CONTRADICTION FOR DECADES

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PED POLICIES IN ALL SPORTS: A CONTRADICTION FOR DECADES

Please check out piece I wrote that concerns all sports and the conflicting messages from the academic community, sports community and even government that will continue to produce Lane Johnson (NFL player) scenarios, health, fatality concerns and even worse if real change does not happen. There are references throughout the story about strongman including an interview with Coroner Graham Hetrick who performed autopsy and drug tests on the body of the late Mike Jenkins, a professional strongman and NCAA football offensive lineman.

http://www.footballstories.com/ped-p...n-for-decades/

It is long but I think worth a read. Maybe Dr. Strossen will post on Ironmind,com

Comment

“Fame is the aphrodisiac for this whole thing,” Hetrick said.
      "Action cures fear"

Comment

Yes, I suppose money and fame are powerful aphrodisiacs. But does the end justify the means? For the professional athletes who are druggies, the scoreboard and dollar sign are the bottom line. But does that truly mean happiness? Particularly after your career is over? For the amateur athlete ( I'm not including Olympic athletes here because, let's face it, they're really professionals) like budding bodybuilders, powerlifters, and weightlifters, does a lousy trophy justify causing damage to your body? Is there really fame in lifting anyway? Does the average person know about, care about, or follow competitive lifting?
        There will always be the cheaters, and like most cheaters in all competitive endeavors, they will always be one step ahead of the others. But, I do believe in drug testing. It's not the best deterrent, but it's better than throwing our hands in the air and giving up. The age-old justifications of saying that "everybody is doing it," or "even if there were no drugs, the same people would still be champions" are a crock. Not everyone does it. There are many clean, strong athletes out there.
        And, yes, there should be some education about the dangers of using steroids ( and other drugs). And I also believe that athletes should be responsible for what they put into their bodies. I find it inconceivable that a highly paid professional athlete would have no knowledge of what he/she is ingesting. If you get caught, own up to it. Don't play the ignorance card. Likewise, if you you decide to use PEDS, be a man and admit it.

Comment

Working...
        X