Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the greatest combined strength and endurance feat ever done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the greatest combined strength and endurance feat ever done?

In your opinion, what is the greatest combined strength and endurance feat ever done.

The answer can be any feat from any time, but preferably not mythological. Spread across any combination of tools. Can be short feat, Louis Cyr's one arm press of 36 reps with 132lb dumbbell comes to mind. Or much longer feats, for instance, I saw something about a Russian man who one-arm jerked a 24kg kettlebell something like 20,000 reps in 24 hours. I also think it would be interesting to think through combinations, such as something I would like to train to do: 1,000lb yoke walk followed immediately by 1,000 reps with a kettlebell as an example. Feel free to add multiple examples of your own or examples with multiple different tools.

Interested to hear everybody's thoughts.

Thanks,

Bud

How about Sarge squatting bodyweight for 98 reps?

Comment

Definitely have to go with Sarge and the squatting. That was amazing to watch.
      North American Highlander Association, Inc.
      "The Ultimate Test of Strength and Athleticism"
      www.nahighlander.com

Comment

Marriage????

Comment

^^^Yes!!! Nothing else comes close!^^^

Comment

Back in the 1980's my boss paid for everyone in his company to join a Nautilus facility. A Martial Arts center in downtown Providence had a complete Nautilus Circuit and the rates were good. I used to enjoy a "workout" followed by a cigarette then hitting the local bars for various adult beverages. I don't think I "got it" then. Anyway one day I'm in there and a few stations ahead of me is this big guy, he's using whole stacks and chugging through the whole circuit. He wasn't making much noise or bringing any attention to himself, just big weights one after another. It was very impressive. I think about it from time to time. Strength and endurance, the way Arthur Jones intended. Rare to actually see.

Comment

Some of the feats I have read about by the old trappers carrying huge loads of furs etc on a "tump line" from the Rocky mountains to St Louis maybe. Or maybe one of the great "carriers" that humped things into the gold camps. I have carried a heavy pack "down" the Muldrow in Alaska - I remember reading about a man who carried a piano up and over it - I can only imagine what that must have been like.

Comment

A Pirate

Bartholomew Portuquesu {sp} was a pirate, captured and set to hang he kills a crew member and using jugs as a flotation devise {he couldn't swim} paddles to shore. Pursued, he loses his pursuers in a mangrove swamp. Unable to further advance himself because of roots and mud he climbs a tree and proceeds to swing through the canopy ape like. Resting when he could he covered 5 to 6 leagues in this manner {17 to 20 miles}.

Comment

Gary Goodridge ARM wrestling 1000 people. That's my vote.

Comment

In the spirit of this - how about the Inman Mile. It sounds pretty brutal.

Comment

I've always wondered about some sort of Sled/Weight/Vehicle Pulling challenge to address this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Piche View Post
                        I've always wondered about some sort of Sled/Weight/Vehicle Pulling challenge to address this.

Bill -

Interesting idea - John Brookfield and Jon Bruney/Steve Jeck have done some truck pulls that are along these lines.

Comment

According to the USAWA website nobody has succesfully completed the Inman mile. Seems to me walking 1 mile with 150% of bodyweight without putting the weight down would be EXTREMELY difficult.

Comment

What's the highest weight over BW used with the mile completed?

Comment

Bill, the USAWA website only recognizes the Inman mile as being done with 150% body weight. As such if anyone ever does it the record will be listed as time and not weight used.

Comment

I have to wonder how many people have ever even tried this???

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Rice View Post
                                  I have to wonder how many people have ever even tried this???
                                  I know at least a dozen that have given it a very serious attempt - and some of them multiple attempts over the past 5 years Chris. My buddy Travis has a friend that completed 1 mile in something like 30 minutes (no sit downs, stopping allowed, not leaning or resting the weight or his body on anything though) with 125% of his bodyweight. He was a college wrestler that weighed 155lbs. He completed that (I didn't witness it but Travis did) time with that weight (barbell with one of those foam pads around it to "pad" the neck) on a barbell with pricey bumper plates. So the weight was probably pretty accurate in other words. I believe that was his 2nd time trying the feat. He swore off any further attempts after he finished that mile with 125% of BW though. And I don't blame him. I've never got even close to 150% of bodyweight but have messed around with some lighter weight "baby Inman mile" stuff and even that is terrible and dread-inducing.
                                  http://goalorientedtraining.wordpress.com/

Comment

I know some of David Willoughby's assertions are debatable but in my mind at least Super Athlete's is a classic. From there:

Hugo Lauffer...carried two pieces of baggage total of 132 pounds, from Vienna to Paris (750 miles) in 25 days!

Crispus Maltese .......within the space of 30 minutes carried 35 barrels each 250 pounds up 3 flight of stairs! I doubt I could do 35 trips up three flights of stairs sans barrels in 30 minutes!

See my review and/or add your own:

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Athletes...cm_cr-mr-title

Who's going to do the sequel? I could see Dr. Strossen, Peter Martin, David Webster and Kim Wood doing a good job.

Comment

Joe kinney's 200kg squats for 60 continuous reps.

Comment

Working...
                                      X