Mike Zolkiewicz WR in WOB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Zolkiewicz WR in WOB

As many of you saw, Mike Zolkiewicz set a WR in the 56 lb WOB. Unbelievable 18'10" heave and the implement weighed in. I was there and if the bar was 19' it would have cleared. Go to the NASGA board under general and a video clip has been posted but you can access through YouTube as well.

I have been around Highland Games for a while and that was the most impressive thing I have ever seen in Heavy Events.

Bill

Superb!

Hi Bill,

That's a big, big throw!

I was lucky enough to be throwing back when Wout was at his best - I can understand how you feel.

When you speak to Mike, be sure to send him my congratulations.

Good luck with your season,

Laine

Comment

Hi Laine,
      Seriously huge throw. I absconded the microphone as the announcer just didn't get what was happening. My part was to pump up the crowd for a good friend who was trying to do something unbelievable. So glad I came out of "retirement" to throw in Games again.

Bill

Comment

I saw him hit 18'9" (I think) at Kansas City a few years ago with an ugly weight. You're not kidding about impressive feat. And he makes it look so easy.

Comment

Video

I just watched the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRC6XBdAqCE

Way to go, Mike!

Also, thanks much to Doc Rock and Mr. Natural for making sure that IronMind knew about Z'orbit's latest missile launch.

Comment

Outstanding!!!

Comment

How high will it go when he tries?

I have just watched the video - amazing where the power comes from, Mike looks very similar to Matt Sandford - I was always amazed how Matt threw Hammer so far, he was very "sedate" when he wound the Hammer up and then, on the last rotation he seemed to go from 5mph to 500mph in a split second. I could always replicate Matts Hammer technique for the first 2 rotations - unfortunately the Hammer carried on at that speed for the last one!

Mike throwing looks very different to Wouts' - Wout threw literally straight up and down - Mikes' throw looks quite good for distance - surely there is a lot more height in there if it was more Wout-like?

My WOB throws were always good for distance, unfortunately they weren't that good for height.

One of the best things about getting older is that you haven't got so far to go to collect your impliment after you have thrown.

Laine

Comment

Mike takes a bigger back swing than Wout did, so there's going to be more of an arc to the throw, and it's going to travel backwards a bit. But he gets a longer pull that way, and it goes higher. Click image for larger version

Name:	teacha.gif
Views:	1
Size:	1,012 Bytes
ID:	47928

Comment

Awesome throw. He really gets back on his heels. Great throw and video to watch.

Comment

Amazing

Incredible power and explosiveness.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN3ENpHwnT4

He hit 18'11" this weekend.

Comment

The most amazing Delco Roll I have ever seen!

Comment

Working...
                        X