Kiwi teen-age shot-put phenom Jacko Gill training

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kiwi teen-age shot-put phenom Jacko Gill training

17 years old. Qualified for the 2012 Olympics but apparently some strange policies of the NZ Olympic committee kept him home. This footage shot in 2011. Actually doesn't seem to have world-class strength but fast, quick, explosive, and powerful as all hell. (Some redundancies there, maybe?) Looks to me like he could star as a boxer or (with specific training) an American football player (lineman, tight end, linebacker, running back). Tell me what you think about this footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgRphH_Yuzc

Comment

Jacko Gill's background

There is a Wikipedia article about him, which, for his background, references a New Zealand site http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/3179522/Jacko-Gill-, which states, "Throwing is in the Gill family genes. Walter [his father] is a former discus and national shot put champion himself. Walter's wife Nerida [his mother] also won a national discus title."

The Wikipedia article lists Didier Poppe as his coach, but I don't know if that's still the case. Gill has trained with Valerie Adams, also a Kiwi, and Olympic gold medalist in the shot put. On YouTube you can find videos of Poppe training Gill and Adams, among others.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Strossen View Post
          Howard -

Are you a thrower?
          I used to try​ to put the shot.

Comment

I've followed him a little for a couple years now. The young man is certainly a phenom. He appears to be put together just perfect for the shot. Very explosive and nice technique - he gets lots of body into things. He appears to be very quick. Interesting enough he does not appear to have state of the art weights etc at all. If he continues to grow and get bigger I expect to see some great throws in his future.

Comment

Reminds me of Randy Matson, looks like he has nice long arms and is very powerful. I like how he uses the heavy bag to condition for the shot. Hope he does well!

Comment

Jacko's training: heavy bag, bench press

Watching his speed on the heavy bag, at first I wondered if the video had been sped up, but by watching the bag "falling", you can see that it's not.

His releasing of the bar at the top of his bench press is something I've thought about, because holding onto the bar at the top often means slowing it down by exerting less-than-maximal force, which means less-than-optimal training for power. But of course releasing the bar is dangerous! Not only can you miss catching it, but for the time that the bar's in free fall, it's picking up speed (32 feet per second per second). That's one of the things spotters are for, but spotters mitiigate but don't eliminate the danger.

There are machines that will slow or stop the free-fall descent of a mass; that's what Elisha Otis invented (safety elevator). Are any weightlifting machines so equipped? Or, given the superiority of free weights, are there any "machines" that will catch a falling bar but will otherwise minimally interfere with the free-weight bench press?

Comment

He doesn't want to slow the free fall of the mass, to the contrary increased free fall speed is what he wants. Decelerating the bar before it hits the chest then propelling it upwards at max bar speed is the objective. Think a check mark, a down line then a up line almost on top of it. I did these on a Universal machine and got a great workout.

Comment

Comment

I've seen it before though I don't understand the application.

Comment

Good reach, huge athleticism, speed, strength and outstanding punching power: The man should go for where the $s are, boxing.

Comment

Working...
                        X